Three questions

Moderator: eskandar

Feliculus

Three questions

Postby Feliculus » 2016-05-06, 14:10

Salâm be hamegân,

man se porseš dâram. Agar monâseb nabud ke "thread"-e jadidi baz karde bâšam: bebaxšid.
Furthermore, please feel free to correct any of my persian which might be terrible (xeyli tamrin namikonam)

a) az hangâmi ke zabân-e fârsi (ra?!) yâd migiram az xod-am miporsam: "besyâr", "ziyâd" va "xeyli" ce farq bâ ham dârand va cetour mitawânam az in kelime-hâ estefâde-ye sahih konam? (or: sahih/dorost estefâde konam?)

b) cand ruz-e qabl xâstam in jomle ra be fârsi beguyam: "A city that everybody likes". I made a sentence that seemed somehow strange to me: "šehr-i ke az u har kas xoš-aš mi'âyad". -> How can I say it correctly (in case my sentence is not correct).

c) Dar zabâne fârsi barâ-ye besyâr ciz-hâ yek kelime-ye fârsi VA ham yek kelime-ye arabi vojud dâred. As I am learning arabic and turkish as well, I naturally tend to remember the arabic words better. So what I'd like to know is whether there is a significant difference between speech that uses persian words and such speech that uses mainly arabic words, in terms of language level I mean. Does it make a big difference to persian ears whether I say "porseš" or "so'âl" or "az hangâmi" or "az vaqti ke" and so on. I would be happy if some native could explain that to me :)

sepâsgozâram,

Feliculus

Persianteacher

Re: Three questions

Postby Persianteacher » 2016-05-07, 7:29

Salam,

Khoshhalam ke dari farsi yad migiri Feliculus.

I would answer questions b), and c), becaue I am in a hurry now, and will answer a) which is longer.

Qb)....The correct sentence for" A city which everyone likes" is: Shahri ke hame az un khosheshun miad"...your sentence is not of course wrong, just more used in literature...in Persian usually concept of "everyone" or "everybody" when refered to all...is equivalent to "hame"..not as literary traslation of every>>>har, and body>>kas...

Qc)..normally many words in Persian when said in arabic are OK for Persian speakers though many Persian language learners advise to use more Persian words...the words "porsesh"...and "Soal" are fine regarding arabic or persian usage..but are actually different in another way...Soal is more spoken form which people use in daily conversation, and Porsesh is more written or academic word..In my idea you`d better not worry about arabic or Persian use of word..but maybe more attempt on the spoken or written form of that word(either it`s arabic or Persian), what would seem unusal to ears of persian speakers is not actually the root of word(being arabic or persian), but saying the right word in the right spoken form or written form, that actually matters more.

Hope this was helpful.

You may also read more about me here:
http://farsilearnersnetwork.pbworks.com ... %20Tuition

I love Persian language and teaching it, for any help you may write to me at: m_h_mohammadpur@yahoo.com

LondonA1

Re: Three questions

Postby LondonA1 » 2016-05-31, 2:55

1. Kalame, not kelime
2. In most cases you can just use dorost for just about everything - there's no real need to use monaseb unless you want to sound more educated.
3. Get used to using -esh at the end of the noun part of compound verbs - absolutely EVERYBODY does it in Farsi.
So for example: don't bother with 'An ro birun kardam', just say 'birunesh kardam'. Don't ask 'Aya an ro dorost karde-am?', just ask 'Dorostesh karde-am?

Point 3 is really important because it's often the way that Iranians etc avoid having to use the "ra" accusative form. It's much easier and much quicker. It's used for all sorts of stuff, for example if you want to say "I'm solving this maths problem" you don't have to bother with all that "Daram In mas'ale-ye riazi ro hal mikonam"...you just say "Daram Hal-esh mikonam".

Unfortunately, there's no quick way to pick this stuff up - I highly recommend getting the Routledge Colloquial Persian book though, and reading a LOT of Iranian transliterated pop culture websites.

When I first started learning Persian two years ago I found it impossible to make the jump between "book Persian" and actual spoken Persian. A really big help was watching subtitled films, but you have to be careful with this as a lot of the English translations are terrible.

4. Az hangami ke.... is fine but I just use something like "Takonun" (Taa Aknun). "Taakonun, hanuz az khodam miporsam" is better because it's simple. When you use temporal phrases such as Az zamani ke I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use a past tense after it: "Az zamani ke shoru kardam farsi yad begiram, ta hamin hala...". As you can ssee, it's complicated - here's an easy way around it: "Az hamoon ebtedaa". Magic! Simple!

Az hamoon ebteda = From the very beginning....etc

My main advice is to really, really shorten the sentences you use and master the use of Persian conditionals. It's important to learn the formal language first, but you should begin to adapt to a more flowing, simplified form. When I first started learning the language I hated the sound of colloquial forms, but then I simply had to accept that if I used formal Persian all the time my friends would continue to laugh at me. I only use formal Persian when speaking to an official or someone I want to impress, like a scholar or poet...but even then, they don't use formal Persian either after the first few sentences of conversation. It's quite amusing really - when Persian speakers first meet they use sentences with forms like Miguyam, beguyid etc then a few minutes later they relax and start saying "migam", "begi" etc.

One of my family members was from a very old, grand Shahist aristocratic family and even she didn't use formal Persian that much. She insisted on using Shoma instead of To, though, which is where I get the habit from.

I still have trouble with Persian subjunctives, they're a pain in the arse.

Keep going! You're doing well.

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”