Hello, and a quick question about Persian

Moderator: eskandar

mashumaro42

Hello, and a quick question about Persian

Postby mashumaro42 » 2015-12-01, 23:27

سلام , نام من متی است.
من امریکا هستیم , اما من ژاپن زندگی.

おはよう

I'm matthew, from the usa but living in Japan and beginning to study Persian in my spare time.

I have a quick question. I own no Persian textbooks or anything and am just about to shoot my Iranian friend a message about this (but I'm at work, so I figured I'd make a post here in the meantime) but my resource on the internet to learn Persian said to say "my name is" you say "naam man ... ast" but later I was reading that to say "my ---" you add mim, for example doost-friend doostam- my friend. So my question is, why cant I say "naamam matii ast" instead of "naam man matii ast"? Or is this totally permissible? Or is it gramatically correct but just unnatural? Thank you in advance. I hope I can speak more Persian soon. I am looking for an email and/or skype friend to practice Persian with but as I just started it's still very limited. I speak English as my native language but I am also conversational in Japanese and willing to teach some basics if you want to learn :D :D
Native: [flag=]en[/flag]
Conversational: [flag=]ja[/flag] Learning: [flag=]fa[/flag] [flag=]zh[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag]

mashumaro42

Re: Hello, and a quick question about Persian

Postby mashumaro42 » 2015-12-01, 23:33

Oh, and it goes without saying please correct my Persian mistakes! For example, I'm almost certain there's a mistake in what I said above. Is it hastim or hastiim?
Another question now, how much do long vowels make a word different? Can they change the whole meaning of the word? In Japanese long vowels are very important and if you mistake them you can prevent your being fully understood
ex: "tohri o tohrimashita" (I crossed the street) vs. "tori o torimashita" (I took the bird) vs. "torii o tohrimashita" (I crossed the archway)
Native: [flag=]en[/flag]
Conversational: [flag=]ja[/flag] Learning: [flag=]fa[/flag] [flag=]zh[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag]

Mehrdad

Re: Hello, and a quick question about Persian

Postby Mehrdad » 2015-12-04, 11:32

سلام متی
خوش آمدی.

You can say 'Nam-am Mati Ast.' Or 'Nam-am Mati-e' (informal) or 'Nam-e Man Mati Ast' they're all correct.

من امریکا هستیم , اما من ژاپن زندگی. is : I are America, but I life Japan.
(Life : زندگی / Live: زندگی کردن) (America : آمریکا / American: آمریکایی)
You should say:
من آمریکایی هستم اما در ژاپن زندگی می کنم.

Also long vowels are important & can change the meaning.
تو / To : You
but:
تو / Too : in (We recognize them in a sentence by their meaning,you will learn it, too.)

Good Luck

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”