Learning Persian in Iran - does anyone have any experience?

Moderator: eskandar

YurieDK

Learning Persian in Iran - does anyone have any experience?

Postby YurieDK » 2015-11-14, 0:32

Hey! I know there have been threads like this one in the past, but I'd really like to get in touch with some people who have actually studied Persian in Iran (preferably not through their home university).
I'm considering going in 2016, and am mainly looking into the Ferdowsi Center for Learning Persian in Mashhad, as they seem to have a reasonably priced program that's pretty flexible as well. They've also been quick to answer my emails, which seems promising.
If anyone has actually been in Iran on a course like this, I'd love to get in touch with you! Also:

I was told that I should apply to a program and then go to Iran on a tourist visa instead of applying for a student visa. Then I would be able to extend the visa while in the country... I don't have much experience with visas, but this sounded a bit weird to me. Is it legal to study (for about 3 months) on a tourist visa in Iran? Have you heard of anyone doing so before?

'''

Re: Learning Persian in Iran - does anyone have any experience?

Postby ''' » 2015-11-23, 12:25

Haven't gone myself but many of my classmates have. So usually they aim for either Shiraz or Esfehan, or primarily, dehkhoda in Tehran. I've heard very good things, people love the immersion and they say the locals are very nice, however, make sure they don't find out you speak English. No-one will want to speak to you in Persian if you speak English. Also make sure that you grasp the concept of ta'arof before you go.

As for the visa thing, it's pretty standard. We've had to pull some interesting stunts to get visae processed and even then it's a bitch. The point is, Iranian bureaucracy moves famously slowly and I've had one friend who didn't get his visa processed by the university we wanted to attend until he'd already landed in country and had started a course at an other university. And this is trying to organise a visa months in advance. From Australia no less.

Also make sure you sort out your money situation. No international banking to Iran. By that I mean I have banker friends and Iran doesn't actually have a code in the international banking system. Like the overarching network used by all banks world wide literally doesn't recognise the existence of Iran. This is getting easier to work around, especially with the new nuclear deal, and I think Uzbekistan has made a business of middle-manning money between Iran and the outside world, however the standard process seems to be to have contacts in Iran, you give them a sum of money into their expat account, they in turn let you withdraw that amount from their Iranian account, or something to that effect. Otherwise prepare to carry a shitton of greenbacks with you.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

Aaron

Postby Aaron » 2016-01-20, 21:52

Very interesting info, thanks to you both.
YurieDK: any progress since you first post here about your 2016's project?
I'm also into it.
Cheers!

Persianteacher

Postby Persianteacher » 2016-01-24, 12:18

Hi,

That`s great to hear that you like to learn persian, that makes me really happy.

I have been teaching Farsi, specifically to Non-Farsi speakers since 2008.You may contact me if you are interested to learn Persian here in Iran,just send me an email at: m_h_mohammadpur@yahoo.com

I also offer Online tuition for those who`d like to learn Persian from thier country.

Persianteacher

Postby Persianteacher » 2016-01-24, 12:34

My students whom I have taught normally take a tourist visa and spend maximum 1 months and have a private learning with me.This way, getting a visa is very easy and fast.

I love persian, even if not interested in taking a private class with me, I`ll be glad help you with learning materials,etc.

Good Luck

Yuriehh

Postby Yuriehh » 2016-01-28, 18:16

Hey, I'm YurieDK. For some reason I can't log into my original account even when I tried to change my password? I tried contacting unilang, but since I didn't get a reply I made a new account.

''': Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!! Oh, and I apologize for the late reply.

Aaron: Are you also considering going to Iran yourself this year?
I have been in touch with the Ferdowsi Center in Mashhad, and they've continued to be very helpful in answering my questions. I've been finishing up my application and getting in touch with a tourism company in my country who can help me get a tourist visa issued (The Ferdowsi Center will help me extend it when I arrive). If I were to finish my application now, I could be going to Iran in just a month!

I still haven't completely made up my mind, though. I'm contemplating whether it would be better to save up money and go study in Isfahan instead of Mashhad. It's a bit more expensive, but I've heard great things about the city whereas it's harder to find information about life in Mashhad.
I've also been considering whether it'd be a good idea to be in Iran during Nowruz because I'd have to find a hotel, and I hear things are quite busy during that time what with everybody travelling to spend time with their families.
Then lastly there are some logistical issues. I'm not sure if I will be let into the country with a one-month tourist visa, but a plane ticket that clearly states I'm going home in 3 months...

anton86

Postby anton86 » 2016-02-09, 11:18

Hello!

I am also very interested in learning farsi in Iran, but I prefer to study in Tehran. Sadly there is only Dekhoda, who have a good reputation but a minor ability to organise/communicate. They just dont answer...

I found some information on private teacher, but I am not sure if they can offer a good quality in teaching and of course help me with student visa...

Does anybody has experience with private teacher or can recommend one to me?

Thank you!

Persianteacher

Postby Persianteacher » 2016-02-09, 13:16

Dear Anton,

Good you are trying to learn Persian.I Have been teaching Persian privately since 2008.My students from Europe and Asia, For US students I have been teaching Online.Here a bit more info. about me:
http://farsilearnersnetwork.pbworks.com ... %20Tuition

I have moved to Karaj(30 Km away from tehran).

You may write to me at: m_h_mohammadpur@yahoo.com for more info regarding my package which includes accomodation,food,and tuition.

Good Luck

Persianteacher

Postby Persianteacher » 2016-02-09, 14:00

Regarding Visa...from my students` experience getting a student visa is hard, and say, time-consuming.a good way is to appy for a tourist visa which is maximum 1 months, European&Asian-passport holders can have a great chance to extend it again even 1 months later, as the goverment of Iran usually will extend it up to 15 days more.

I am very happy to find this forum here to connect with Farsi learners.

Is it possible to attach files here? I have a very comprehensive collection of Farsi Books(Especially written for Non-Farsi speakers) which I have gathered upon for 10 years! would be nice if Farsi learners can benefit from some topics they1d like to learn.

Enjoy Farsi Language..

Yuriehh

Postby Yuriehh » 2016-02-11, 20:04

Persianteacher: I'm not sure whether you can attach files to your messages here or not, but maybe you can upload them on some other site (like filedropper) and then share a link? It's really kind of you to share your ressources with us, thank you so much :)!!

Persianteacher

Postby Persianteacher » 2016-02-12, 12:28

That`s great..it seems it is possible to attach files here.

That would be my pleasure to help Farsi learners here, unfortunately I cannot share the whole books, but some useful pages for learners are ok.Hope they can be of help.

You may see the attached file which shows how we can join letters in Farsi to make our words.It`s just a sample.
book.joining of the words.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

littlelefant

Postby littlelefant » 2016-03-17, 10:20

Hey Yuriehh! Hey everyone!

Have you registered for any courses yet? If yes, where are you now? Mashhad?

I'm also struggling finding a language school for 3-6 months in Iran.
I also tried to register for Dehkhoda in Tehran. But just as everyone else here says, it is JUST IMPOSSIBLE to get any replies from their side without bombing them with very expensive international calls....I applied for a course starting on 9th of April. As I called them on this Monday, I was told to wait and "hopefully" I would receive a visa over Nurooz...it is indeed frustrating. Especially that I applied already for course in last October and received the student visa 3 weeks before the course begin, but I couldn't go because of my 3 months leave notice period at work. Now, I've quit my job in advance, but no confirmation, no visa :cry: endless anxiety.....

Persianteacher

Postby Persianteacher » 2016-03-17, 10:59

Good you are trying to learn Persian.I Have been teaching Persian privately since 2008.My students from Europe and Asia, For US students I have been teaching Online.Here a bit more info. about me:
http://farsilearnersnetwork.pbworks.com ... %20Tuition

I have moved to Karaj(30 Km away from tehran).

You may write to me at: m_h_mohammadpur@yahoo.com for more info regarding my package which includes accomodation,food,and tuition.

Good Luck

anton86

Postby anton86 » 2016-03-20, 21:44

Hello littlelefant,

I also tried to contact Dehkhoda, and the same happend to me (and I think to all others) too! I have some friends in Tehran that helped me to contact them, but finally I stopped that. I am just not interested in joining their courses with this attitude of communication.

So I will go to Mashad in mid or end of April. They answer within 24 hours, and they accept you with tourist Visa and help you to get a student Visa later. I dont know about the quality of their lesson, but I will find out soon...

Greetings from Germany,
Anton

littlelefant

Postby littlelefant » 2016-03-23, 23:35

Hey Anton,

it is really kind of doing good to me, knowing that I'm not the single one with difficulties with Dehkhoda....I'll just wait now and see if I would receive any confirmation and a visa after the Iranian new year. If not, I will try to go to Mashhad too, probably in May.

You are in Germany?! Cool, me too! Hamburg, you?

learner123

Postby learner123 » 2016-04-10, 19:34

hi guys
i am also looking to learn farsi in Iran
I looked at Ferdowsis website, and it says that I should fill out the form and then they will design the course accordingly. That sounds weird.
Does anyone have experience with them?

I am expected to get a tourist visa soon, and if possible would like to start immediately (3rd week of April).

Dehkhoda says that they wont accept on tourist visa.

Also, anyone know a specific person in Ferdowsi whom I can talk to? or anyone who has done courses in ferdowsi?

chirag91

Postby chirag91 » 2016-04-24, 2:27

Looks like I've struck gold in terms of finding the relevance of my situation! I'm planning to go to Iran over the summer months June-August !! :D :D :D

I'm an Indian (passport) student currently residing in Switzerland. Dehkhoda seemed the obvious first choice, but this uncertain Student Visa process seems ridiculous. Also I haven't written to them yet, but seems like a lot of people are having trouble with communication. Since I'm deciding on spur of the moment, I think I'd be going the private tutor way.

About which place, Eshfahan, Mashhad, Tehran, I'm still a student at heart so I'd like to stay as close to Tehran as possible, and also try to fix an exchange semester from my Swiss university (I'd be the first!)

Do keep the us posted Yurie Anton Aaron littlelefant !!

identitycrisis

Postby identitycrisis » 2016-04-27, 16:17

Dear chirag, learner123, littlelefant, anton86, Yuriehh and whoever would like to go to learn farsi in Iran,

For years I had always wanted to go to Iran to study farsi but could never seem to decide whether to apply to a uni or find a private tutors. there was barely any helpful information online in English either. I had always only considered just going to tehran and dekhoda seemed like the only option. after months they replied to one email and even that were very unhelpful, rude and never actually answered my questions. I nearly gave up, but then a cousin of mine came across ferdowsi in Mashhad. We applied for the course and a month later we were in Iran (finally)! We left in November 2015 and satyed until February 2016.
As amazing as the experience was, I should tell a few pointers incase you decide to embark on the same journey :)

1) I had always considered only going to Tehran however , Mashhad is a pretty good city too! Not as advanced as Tehran however it has it's own beauties. There are tons of pretty cool coffee shops spread across the city, beautiful towns of Torqabeh and shandiz are just 20 minute drives away and they offer the best and most beautiful persian cuisine. Then there's the holy shrine of Imam Reza - a beautiful spiritual place to go to regardless of religious beliefs.

2) With regards to the actual uni, it wasn't easy at all. When we arrived unfortunately due to the public holidays of Ashura, nothing was prepared for us with regards to accommodation. Beware if you are choosing the $30-40 accommodation, you are pretty much paying for what you get! It was simply disgusting and dirty and sharing a bathroom and kitchen with over 30 people is not what we had in mind. We could not stay there and asked to be transferred. We were sent to the suite which consisted of of a double bed and a single bed, en suite kitchen and bathroom. Not as glamorous as it may sound but much much better then the halls. we were three of us so we split teh costing and it came to $100 a month each.

3)the classes,teacher and students are all very good, nice, warm and friendly. Iranians love foreigners! our classes were mixed with french, germans, koreans, chinese etc. much more mulitcultured then i expected.
I budgeted to stay in iran for just over 3 months but found that in order to learn the language properly, a good 6 motnhs is needed!

4) there is good travel system withing the massive university as well as shops, gyms ans swimming pools. park mellat train station is located just outside the university and is very cheap.

5) withing our time in iran, we managed to travel for a few days to Tehran and esfahan and skiing in shirbad, all of which are amazing! Tehran is crazy busy and as advanced and modern as it is, it can get overwhelming. I would still choose to study in mashhad as it is central and has a good balance.

Make sure you befriend local people, it will help your day to day farsi skills and they will help integrate you. Most of our friends were locals who didn't study at the uni but rather we met through mutual friends at a party and became very close. having local friends was extremely beneficial and helpful. they take you to all the cool places adn ensure you never get ripped off, which happens to pretty much every foreigner (khareeji).
Let me know if you have any other questions and hopefully I can help where possible

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2016-04-28, 10:14

chirag91 wrote:I'm an Indian (passport) student currently residing in Switzerland. Dehkhoda seemed the obvious first choice, but this uncertain Student Visa process seems ridiculous.
Getting a visa can be complicated from students from countries whose relations with Iran are complicated (US, UK, etc.) but it shouldn't be that difficult for an Indian citizen. Indians were able to get visas on arrival in the airport up until a couple years ago. I wouldn't rule out Dehkhoda; at least send an email and inquire.
Currently away from Unilang.

chirag91

Postby chirag91 » 2016-05-01, 6:19

hi eskander,

you're right about th VoA services for Indians, but I'd rather not wait till I reach the gate, to know if i'll get a visa :rotfl: Also I heard that they've been reintroduced since the lifting of the sanctions (We're cooperating a fair amount in the oil exploration sector) That aside, student visa processing times are longer regardless of country of origin and which can be only applied for after a letter of acceptance from Dekhoda (So that's a no go)

identitycrisis seems to have had a great time there. Yes ferdowsi is a good alternative, and I have it as a backup, (also because its going to be waaaaay easier to find accommodation there that's in the budgy compared to tehran ) but I don't feel like going too far from Tehran, because not only do I want to learn the language, but also explore options of returning to study there full time. I want to be close to the scientific and business community, and I think Tehran offers the right balance between all of this.

On a side note, all these other places like Mashhad, Isfahan, Shiraz and Tabriz are quite close by (~ 9- 12) hours, and I love doing train journeys (pretty much how I covered the Indian sub-continent) so it won't be too much trouble.
For anyone else who's planning, take crisis advice on befriending local people, its of paramount importance. I feel that's the only way I'm going to find housing there without getting swindled. I'm already in touch with a few people.

Cheerio !

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”