Collective name of the short vowels and their writen forms

Moderator: eskandar

qzhqzh

Collective name of the short vowels and their writen forms

Postby qzhqzh » 2015-07-27, 12:22

1. What is the collective name (i.e. the name for the group as a whole) of the short vowels in Persian?

By this I don't mean the name of the written form of these vowels, but rather short vowels as a linguistic concept which are contrasted with the "long" vowels.

2. I've learned that the writen forms of the short vowels are called zabar, zir and pesh (sometimes zamme?). Is there a collectve name specifically for the written markings of these short vowels, something like "short vowel marks" in English or "ḥarakāt" in Arabic?

Or are these just included in the larger category of "Arabic diacritics"?

Mehrdad

Re: Collective name of the short vowels and their writen forms

Postby Mehrdad » 2015-07-27, 17:37

Hi,
They're called ḥarakāt-e horoof. حرکاتِ حروف Also ee-rab: اِعراب Verb: اعراب گذاشتن
َاَ- Fat-he فتحه - Zebar

اِ - kasre کسره - Zir

اُ - zamme -ضمه - Pish

In dialog we simply call them a.e.o َاَ - اِ - اُ

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-07-27, 19:05

1. The short vowels are referred to as مصوّت‌های کوتاه , to be contrasted with مصوّت‌های بلند (long vowels). Sometimes واکه is used in place of مصوّت .
Currently away from Unilang.

Mehrdad

Postby Mehrdad » 2015-07-27, 20:21

eskandar wrote:1. The short vowels are referred to as مصوّت‌های کوتاه , to be contrasted with مصوّت‌های بلند (long vowels). Sometimes واکه is used in place of مصوّت .

Hi dear Eskandar,
These words are correct too, especially when you want to show the contrast between long and short vowels. But I THINK they're rather newly made, as exact translation for English expressions 'long and short vowels'. The word that is used to call them as a short vowel mark is اعراب.
This topic remind me of a funny experience:
A few years ago I saw a bookshop that sold used English pocket books (in Tehran). I went in & as I was looking at book shelves, I asked the salesman if he had French books too. He said (in Farsi) " I don't know... oh wait... is that the language who has اعراب on the letters ? Here I have some..."

Imagine he had used 'مصوت های کوتاه' instead of 'اعراب' in that sentence!
I'm not saying because of that man the word is 'اعراب', but this word is commonly used by ordinary people.

زیاده جسارت است !

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2015-07-27, 21:49

Salam Mehrdad jan, I just wanted to provide some additional information as it seemed qzhqzh was interested in the precise linguistic terminology. Of course these words aren't known to most people, but if you ask the average English speaker to explain the difference between "short and long vowels" they probably won't know, either.
Currently away from Unilang.

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”