Spelling of Persian name for my son

Moderator: eskandar

parastoo

Spelling of Persian name for my son

Postby parastoo » 2015-07-23, 6:34

Hi everyone

Im a new persian father with a new son!

We want to name him Dariush, but since we live in the US we wanted to choose a version of it that will be easier for Americans to pronounce,

So would you guys which spelling is better: Darius or Daryus??

Me and my wife are personally leaning to the second spelling since unfortunately many people in the US that are not Persian have adopted this name as their own, and I typically find them seplling it as "Darius" which is why I prefer to spell it as "Daryus" to help set him apart that he is persian and not another race

What are your thoughts?

linguoboy

Re: Spelling of Persian name for my son

Postby linguoboy » 2015-07-23, 15:56

parastoo wrote:We want to name him Dariush, but since we live in the US we wanted to choose a version of it that will be easier for Americans to pronounce,

So would you guys which spelling is better: Darius or Daryus??

Which pronunciation are you aiming for? I've heard "Darius" pronounced both /dəˈraɪ.əs/ and /ˈder.i.əs/. I'm not sure which pronunciation most Americans would be more likely to use for "Daryus", but some might also opt for /ˈdar.jəs/.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Spelling of Persian name for my son

Postby eskandar » 2015-07-23, 20:52

There seems to be some contradiction inherent to this. You want the name to be easier for Americans to pronounce, but you also want it to not seem like an American name! هم خدا رو میخوای هم خرما رو :lol: I don't think "Dariush" would be any more difficult for Americans to pronounce than "Daryus". With any of those options (Dariush, Darius, or Daryus) some people might mispronounce the name at first, but if your son tells them how to say it, they'll have no problems.

P.S. قدم نو رسیده مبارک !
Currently away from Unilang.

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”