Short questions

Moderator:eskandar

huttarl
Re: Short questions

Postby huttarl » 2019-10-04, 15:57

I've been listening to this song in Persian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Et4TG4GoY
which is great because it has the text written on the screen. There are a couple of parts I'd like to get help with...

(at 0:33)
بُود پُر از جلالت
آسمان و زمین

I understand this basically to mean "Heaven and earth are full of your glory." But what is the first word, بُود ? The singer pronounces it "bovad" or something like that. Is it some form of بود ("bood"), 'to be'? If so, is it archaic? poetic? subjunctive?
I would maybe expect هستند as the verb in this sentence.

Here's the other place where I would like to understand better. At 3:40, the song goes

ای عیسی
تو بود و نبودم هستی
تو دار و ندارم هستی

تو سزاوار هستی

I understand the first and last lines. But what about the 2nd and 3rd? I recognize the words, basically, but I'm not sure how to make sense of each whole line.
Is it something like

You are my 'was and wasn't'
You are my 'has and hasn't'
??

Does the ‏-م on نبودم and ندارم mean "my"? or is it a contraction of هم?

Thanks for your help,
Lars

Morehod

Postby Morehod » 2019-10-21, 9:38

Hello.
What is the difference between words کدوم and کدام ?

huttarl

Postby huttarl » 2019-11-04, 19:42

Morehod wrote:Hello.
What is the difference between words کدوم and کدام ?

Hello. I'm not an expert, but I believe I can answer this question.
In spoken Persian, ام often becomes وم and ان becomes ون. So کدوم is just the spoken form of کدام.

svami007

Postby svami007 » 2019-12-12, 19:21

IMG_20191208_201256 (1).jpg
Hello! I'm a newbie here, and have only a very short question, so I'm posting in this thread. Could someone please help me out? I bought a wall decoration with writing in Persian. Could someone please translate what it says? I'll attach the photo of it. Thanks a lot in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-12-21, 18:03

svami007 wrote:IMG_20191208_201256 (1).jpgHello! I'm a newbie here, and have only a very short question, so I'm posting in this thread. Could someone please help me out? I bought a wall decoration with writing in Persian. Could someone please translate what it says? I'll attach the photo of it. Thanks a lot in advance!

This is actually Arabic, not Persian. It says لا فتی الا علي ولا سيف الا ذو الفقار which is a Shi'ite religious slogan meaning "there is no hero like Ali and no sword like [his] Zulfiqar." It's modeled after the shahada.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

svami007

Postby svami007 » 2019-12-23, 7:15

eskandar wrote:
svami007 wrote:IMG_20191208_201256 (1).jpgHello! I'm a newbie here, and have only a very short question, so I'm posting in this thread. Could someone please help me out? I bought a wall decoration with writing in Persian. Could someone please translate what it says? I'll attach the photo of it. Thanks a lot in advance!

This is actually Arabic, not Persian. It says لا فتی الا علي ولا سيف الا ذو الفقار which is a Shi'ite religious slogan meaning "there is no hero like Ali and no sword like [his] Zulfiqar." It's modeled after the shahada.

Oh thank you so so much! Actually people told me about Zulfiqar, but they couldn't translate, now I have the meaning as well, thank you very much! I've read the Wikipedia links you provided, maybe you could please write the transliteration as well? I'd love to know how it's pronounced, if you have time, thanks a lot!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-12-26, 5:39

Sure. In Arabic it's pronounced: laa fataa ilaa ʿAlii wa laa sayfa ilaa dhuu'l-fiqaar. (Persian-speakers would pronounce it a bit differently: laa fataa elaa Alii va laa sayfa elaa zo'l-faghaar.)

svami007

Postby svami007 » 2019-12-27, 8:09

eskandar wrote:Sure. In Arabic it's pronounced: laa fataa ilaa ʿAlii wa laa sayfa ilaa dhuu'l-fiqaar. (Persian-speakers would pronounce it a bit differently: laa fataa elaa Alii va laa sayfa elaa zo'l-faghaar.)

Thank you sooo much for your help! :)

Morehod

Postby Morehod » 2020-05-20, 11:06

What is the difference between words:
1. اِنتها , تمام , آخر , پایان
2. الان , اکنون , حالا
3. شروع , ابتدا , آغاز

Thank you.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2020-05-22, 2:42

The difference mostly has to do with context and usage.

diana

Postby diana » 2020-10-15, 7:58

Morehod wrote:What is the difference between words:
1. اِنتها , تمام , آخر , پایان
2. الان , اکنون , حالا
3. شروع , ابتدا , آغاز

Thank you.

Hi
The words in each line are synonymous
1.Finish
2.Now
3.Beginning

EhS

Learning Language partner

Postby EhS » 2020-11-09, 9:17

I am a native Persian speaker. I need a partner to speak Fluent English and instead I will teach you to speak Fluent Persian for free. this is my Email: ehsan.shad@gmail.com

Mgunar

Postby Mgunar » 2021-09-14, 13:51

https://ibb.co/3NxP9C2

Hello.

There is a tombstone in the picture.İ just wonder what is the meaning of that text.At the first sight i think that is arabic and show it to some native arabic speakers and they told me that this is Persian language.

İ would be grateful if anyone translate it.

Thank you and have a nice day.

babak

Postby babak » 2022-03-22, 21:52

camelkebab wrote:hello, I need some help, and soon you will be tired of me asking questions :whistle:

کتاب کودکان گردد به مکتب پر از حرف من و
افسانه ی تو،

i understand everything in this sentence except "gardad". Does it mean "will rotate?"

This is my translation word by word:

children's book, will rotate in primary school, full of the talk and story of me and you

i can see the meaning of "will rotate" here. Can it be used like this? If no, please explain how it can be used.

pirhan, gardad be ensaan, garm kardan :)

pishaapish sepasgozaram!

btw the word afsaane is just sensationally beautiful, the way it sounds. :)

Children's books at school will be full of stories of my conversations and your legend

babak

Postby babak » 2022-03-22, 22:01

camelkebab wrote:....donya raa kheyli kochak mibinid dar soorati ke intori nist va zendegi faghat toye in berke ya toye in jangal kholaase nemishe.

i understand everything except:

"dar soorati ke" In the event that

and

"zendegi kholaase nemishe"
Life is more than a general understanding of the forest
pishaapish moteshakker! :)

babak

Postby babak » 2022-03-22, 22:04

camelkebab wrote:Moteshakker!

dobare soal daram

too in jomle:

Dar zemn hagh ham nadaari ihnja pishe maa bemaani.

"Dar zemn" yani chi? They use the term when they want to add a sentence to previous sentences.

is this correct?

dar zemn = zemnan = by the way ?, i know zemnan also means "meanwhile" but by the way fits better in the context of the book.

please answer in english if possible

pishaapish sepaasgozaaram!

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”