Short questions

Moderator:eskandar

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Short questions

Postby eskandar » 2017-06-09, 16:43

It doesn't make sense more one way or the other, it's just idiomatic. Just as in English, you say "happy birthday!" which is a noun phrase with no verb. Wouldn't it make more sense to say "may your birthday be happy"? Yet "happy birthday" is idiomatic and therefore that's what we use.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Dariush

Postby Dariush » 2017-07-18, 10:13

Hi everyone,
During Iran's national military day I saw these sentences in Iranian news outlets.
Could somebody help me out in translating them? Thanks!

امروز پدافند در آرایش نیروهای مسلح در خط مقدم قرار می‌کیرد

نفر بر تجسسی شیمیایی، هسته‌ای، رادیواکتیو و میکروبی (شهرام).‌‌2

با ولایت زنده ایم، تا زنده ایم رزمنده ایم = We live with the country? How do you understand the rest?

مقام معظم رهبری و فرمانده کل قوا (حفظه الله تعالی)‌ = The exalted place of the leader and commander of all forces?

اتکاء به قدرت الهی و با باور کردن قدرت حضور مردم، از هیچ قدرتی

ارتش جمهوری اسلامی ایران، ارتش خدا، مدافع معنویت و ارزش‌های در خشان انسانی است.

Thanks!

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-07-18, 21:09

امروز پدافند در آرایش نیروهای مسلح در خط مقدم قرار می‌کیرد می‌گیرد
Today, defense is arranging armed forces on the front line

This one seems to be a sentence fragment. Can you provide a link to where you saw this? "Chemical, nuclear, radioactive and microbial spy personnel carrier (Shahram)"

با ولایت زنده ایم، تا زنده ایم رزمنده ایم = We live with the country? How do you understand the rest?
Here ولایت doesn't mean "country" and probably refers to ولایت فقیه. "We are alive with velayat, as long as we're alive we will remain militant." Sounds like a right-wing Iranian slogan.

مقام معظم رهبری و فرمانده کل قوا (حفظه الله تعالی)‌ = The exalted place of the leader and commander of all forces?
Pretty much. "The Supreme Leadership Authority and the commander of all forces (may God the Exalted protect him)"

Reliance on divine power and with believing in the power of the presence of the people, no power... (sentence fragment, seems like it got cut off?)

ارتش جمهوری اسلامی ایران، ارتش خدا، مدافع معنویت و ارزش‌های در خشان درخشان انسانی است
The army of the Islamic Republic of Iran, the army of God, is the defender of spirituality and the shining values of humanity

alimagsterne

Vegetables in Farsi: Correct Word?

Postby alimagsterne » 2017-07-20, 12:06

Hello everybody, please help:

green leafy vegetables in Farsi means سبزیجات and refers to:
  • spinach, salads etc.
  • fresh herbs such as basil, parsley etc.
However, سبزیجات is also used for vegetables such as
  • carrots, cucumbers, potatoes etc.
Question: Do you distinguish them in Farsi? What term do you use in everyday life?
  • Wikipedia says the correct word for vegetables is تره بار.
  • My dicationary uses صیفی جات for all plant-based non-fruit food.

Dariush

Postby Dariush » 2017-07-20, 21:50

eskandar wrote:امروز پدافند در آرایش نیروهای مسلح در خط مقدم قرار می‌کیرد می‌گیرد
Today, defense is arranging armed forces on the front line

This one seems to be a sentence fragment. Can you provide a link to where you saw this? "Chemical, nuclear, radioactive and microbial spy personnel carrier (Shahram)"

Here ولایت doesn't mean "country" and probably refers to ولایت فقیه. "We are alive with velayat, as long as we're alive we will remain militant." Sounds like a right-wing Iranian slogan.

Pretty much. "The Supreme Leadership Authority and the commander of all forces (may God the Exalted protect him)"

Reliance on divine power and with believing in the power of the presence of the people, no power... (sentence fragment, seems like it got cut off?)

ارتش جمهوری اسلامی ایران، ارتش خدا، مدافع معنویت و ارزش‌های در خشان درخشان انسانی است
The army of the Islamic Republic of Iran, the army of God, is the defender of spirituality and the shining values of humanity

Unbelievable. Thank you so much!! Great explanations.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Vegetables in Farsi: Correct Word?

Postby eskandar » 2017-07-21, 1:18

alimagsterne wrote:green leafy vegetables in Farsi means سبزیجات and refers to:
  • spinach, salads etc.
  • fresh herbs such as basil, parsley etc.
However, سبزیجات is also used for vegetables such as
  • carrots, cucumbers, potatoes etc.
Question: Do you distinguish them in Farsi? What term do you use in everyday life?

سبزیجات is the term used in everyday life for vegetables in general. The others you list may be found in formal/scientific settings but I've personally never heard them spoken.

Dariush wrote:Unbelievable. Thank you so much!! Great explanations.

Glad I could help!

alimagsterne

Re: Vegetables in Farsi: Correct Word?

Postby alimagsterne » 2017-07-25, 16:10

eskandar wrote:
alimagsterne wrote:Question: Do you distinguish them in Farsi? What term do you use in everyday life?

سبزیجات is the term used in everyday life for vegetables in general. The others you list may be found in formal/scientific settings but I've personally never heard them spoken.

Thank you for your quick response. I'm new to this forum but you will from now on see more of such questions. Please do help me in the future, too!

Another question: what do you call a snail without house (slug): لیسه, or لسیک, or something else?

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-07-29, 5:58

I don't really know, all I can do is complicate the situation even further: Wikipedia calls it لیسه whereas Hayyim's dictionary gives لیسک . It also offers راب which is used on Wiktionary as well. Meanwhile farsi123 lists the colloquial terms نرم تن and شکم پا (both of which I also saw in other online dictionaries) and the technical biological term بید حلزونی .

Your query piqued my curiosity so I started a thread over at Wordreference which tends to be better for these kinds of things. Hopefully we'll get some clarity.

alimagsterne

Postby alimagsterne » 2017-07-31, 8:59

eskandar wrote:I don't really know, all I can do is complicate the situation even further: Wikipedia calls it لیسه whereas Hayyim's dictionary gives لیسک . It also offers راب which is used on Wiktionary as well. Meanwhile farsi123 lists the colloquial terms نرم تن and شکم پا (both of which I also saw in other online dictionaries) and the technical biological term بید حلزونی .

Your query piqued my curiosity so I started a thread over at Wordreference which tends to be better for these kinds of things. Hopefully we'll get some clarity.

Thank you for your effort! You're most helpful and I appreciate it!
By the way, I would think that لیسک is more consistent if you think about other animal names such as سنجاقک and آخندک etc. However, I think لیسه is more fitting in sounding more "slimey". As there doesn't seem to be a coherent standard, I will just go with that.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-01, 6:35

alimagsterne wrote:Thank you for your effort! You're most helpful and I appreciate it!
By the way, I would think that لیسک is more consistent if you think about other animal names such as سنجاقک and آخندک etc. However, I think لیسه is more fitting in sounding more "slimey". As there doesn't seem to be a coherent standard, I will just go with that.

My pleasure! As far as we've seen from the other thread, لیسه does indeed seem to be the way to go. By the way, from your signature over there it seems like you're raising your kid to speak Persian - if that's the case, that's wonderful. In my opinion it's an extremely important thing to do yet is sadly ignored all too often by Iranian parents living in the West.

alimagsterne

Postby alimagsterne » 2017-08-01, 13:21

eskandar wrote:By the way, from your signature over there it seems like you're raising your kid to speak Persian - if that's the case, that's wonderful. In my opinion it's an extremely important thing to do yet is sadly ignored all too often by Iranian parents living in the West.

Yes, that is what I am trying to do. My wife is German though, and since I grew up in Germany and have no Iranian friends, I'm kind of left alone doing that though my Farsi is insufficient. Still, I intend to improve my own Farsi, hoping that I can cover most everyday life topics by the time she speaks fluently.

Talha

Postby Talha » 2017-08-01, 18:36

Hi, question regarding handwriting: can you like in Arabic use dashes for two or more dots?

Many thanks,

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-01, 19:42

Yes, this is done in Persian handwriting too, but the style is a little different than Arabic when it comes to the three-dotted letters like ث and ش . Rather than the ^ shape used for the three dots as in Arabic, in Persian handwriting a half-circle is used. Nevertheless, the Arabic style would be understood as well.

Talha

Postby Talha » 2017-08-01, 20:14

eskandar wrote:Yes, this is done in Persian handwriting too, but the style is a little different than Arabic when it comes to the three-dotted letters like and . Rather than the ^ shape used for the three dots as in Arabic, in Persian handwriting a half-circle is used. Nevertheless, the Arabic style would be understood as well.

Thanks for that!

And is this ok for "straightening" out the and to write faster?

:)

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-01, 20:26

Yes, all of that is common in Persian handwriting. :)

Talha

Postby Talha » 2017-08-02, 19:37

Tonight's homework: quick question about writing the in the middle of words as in image - thanks again!

upload png google

Talha

Postby Talha » 2017-08-02, 20:09

Also, it's not clear why is written like that when according to the audio it sounds like (in my student Arabic ears) . Why isn't the long vav or heh pronounced? Or am I mishearing?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0pvXm23iRJH

Thanks

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-08-02, 22:19

With regards to قهوه - yes, that's the correct way to write it in handwriting.

In معذرت می‌خواهم - you are hearing correctly. The colloquial way to pronounce می‌خواهم is miikhaam (like میخام). This is for two reasons:
1) خوا is a relic of an older form of the language. What was once pronounced "khwaa" has now been shortened to "khaa". This is true in all cases, so خواب is pronounced "khaab", خواهر is pronounced "khaahar", etc. This rule holds for formal Persian as well as colloquial Persian.
2) In colloquial Persian می‌خواهم is reduced to می‌خوام . This is true for the other conjugations, too:
می‌خوام miikhaam - I want
می‌خوای miikhaaii - you (inf) want
می‌خوایین mikhaaiin - you (f, pl) want
می‌خواد miikhaad - he/she/it wants
می‌خواییم mikhaaiim - we want
می‌خوان mikhaan - they want

Talha

Postby Talha » 2017-08-10, 12:55

Am I also correct in hearing the Persian for "autumn" پاييز as پائيز? Any reasoning or general principle for that?
ممنون

Talha

Postby Talha » 2017-08-10, 13:01

Also in Farzad, the answer for Unit 01 ex. 2a. (1) Good morning, Mehri, welcome! - "welcome" is given as خوش آمدى. She doesn't give that version in the chapter. Mistake or variant?

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”