Persian names for you

Moderator:eskandar

alijsh
Persian names for you

Postby alijsh » 2006-11-28, 18:41

Some people, for any reason, might like to have a Persian name. I'll try to write names that are most likely to be adaptable to your native language. Here are some for now:

== Girl names ==
Anahita • Aram • Artemis • Atusa • Ava • Baran • Giti • Bita • Leili • Lida • Melika • Merila • Mina • Mona • Mitra • Neda • Niki • Pari • Parisa • Parivash • Roxana • Sara • Sanaz • Shadi • Sheida • Shila • Shima • Shiva • Sima • Simin • Ziba

== Boy names ==
Abtin • Afshin • Arash • Arman • Armin • Hutan • Kimia • Mehran • Mahram • Nima • Omid • Puya • Puria • Ramin • Rambod • Sahand • Saman • Sasan • Shayan • Shervin • Sina
Last edited by alijsh on 2006-11-29, 5:55, edited 6 times in total.

Sisyphe

Postby Sisyphe » 2006-11-28, 19:24

Armin is my Persian name - it's a longer story why though... :lol:
Actively learning: ImageImageOn the back burner but in love with:ImageImage A life-long endeavor: Image

Pizquita

Postby Pizquita » 2006-11-29, 16:52

Here you are these links which show a full list of names.

http://cleo.lcs.psu.edu/

http://www.geocities.com/persian_names/

And this so nice one: http://www.avesta.org/znames.htm

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2006-11-29, 17:35

Thanks Pizquita for the great links. Especially the last one seems very useful for me. You know, all those names cannot be adapted to other languages. So I'm going to create a list of names that have simple and few syllables. Can you help me?
Last edited by alijsh on 2006-11-29, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

Pizquita

Postby Pizquita » 2006-11-29, 19:09

Welcome! I guessed you were going to pick it the last one :D

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2006-11-29, 19:29

I’d sometimes read lists of Persian names and try to think what I’d liked having been called if I was Iranian, but I could never come to one I did like. :( When the meaning was interesting, I usually didn’t like the name itself, and when I liked the name, the meaning didn’t appeal to me. :roll: Then, when watching [r]«دو فرشته»[/r] (as I mentioned in other thread), ‘Sohrab’ did catch my attention, and so did ‘Siavash’ / ‘Siavush’, so I guess I’d have liked those after all. :)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2006-11-29, 19:32

They are two characters of Shâhnâme. Have you read any part of Shâhnâme?

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2006-11-29, 19:44

alijsh wrote:They are two characters of Shâhnâme. Have you read any part of Shâhnâme?

I haven’t, but in the film, when Ali joins the music school, he picks ‘Sohrab’ as a stage name, so his father won’t find out, and Azar made a joke about how the name hadn’t helped Sohrab escape Rostam. My girlfriend and I didn’t understand the reference, so I researched a bit and found out about Shâhnâme. :)

Curiously, Siavash seems to be the name of the actor that plays Ali/Sohrab. :)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

alijsh

Postby alijsh » 2006-11-29, 20:05

Telling you in brief about Rostam and Sohrab at Shâhnâme: Rostam is the father of Sohrab but they don't know each other because Rostam has left Sohrab and his mother before Sohrab being born. They have a combat in which finally Rostam kills Sohrab and as Sohrab is dying, Rostam realizes that Sohrab has been his son from the arm bracelet he had given to his mother.

If you are interested google "Rostam and Sohrab". A good one is here: http://www.iranchamber.com/literature/shahnameh/08rostam_sohrab.php

Pizquita

Postby Pizquita » 2006-11-29, 20:24

Oh, yes, very nice. I read it in Spanish before.

Here is the link for Spanish or whoever has knowledge of this language: http://www.comerciodigital.cl/sitio/epica_1.htm

Return to “Persian/Farsi (فارسی)”