arrangement in a dictionary

Moderator: vijayjohn

pasalupo

arrangement in a dictionary

Postby pasalupo » 2005-12-04, 13:38

I wonder what is meant by 'traditional arrangement of letters'. I have a dictionary from the library, but I have difficulties to find the words I'm looking for. Any help is appreciated.
Gentles do not reprehend.

Tomcat

Postby Tomcat » 2005-12-05, 8:37

What kind of dictionary is it? Hindi-English? English-Hindi? Both ways? I suppose you have problems finding Hindi words. What exactly is your problem, why don't find the words? The words are arranged according to the letter order in Devanagari which is different from the Latin script's order. That was the problem for me when I started using Hindi dictionaries, I always had to keep the Devanagari letter order in mind.

Just give me an example of a word you haven't found, then I can explain you how it works.

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2005-12-06, 18:42

Thanks for your offer.
I have "Learner's Hindi-English Dictionary" by Hardev Bahri. And indeed the order of devanagari letters is confusing me. I was looking for 'svades', but I never came closer than 'svadeshi' (maybe svades isn't in this dictionary).
I think short and long vowels come apart, but where do the nasals ones and diphthongs fit in. Other letters seem to be treated as single letters (especially when they have a dot below). Thus I wondered what one would consider an alphabetical order in Hindi.
Gentles do not reprehend.

Tomcat

Postby Tomcat » 2005-12-09, 7:36

Well, the letter k [ka] as an example:

kan [nasalized]
ka
kaan [nasalized]
kaa
ki [nas.]
ki
kiin [nas.]
kii
kun [nas.]
ku
kuun [nas.]
kuu
kri [the Sanskrit vocalized r]
ken [nas.]
ke
kain [nas.]
kai
kon [nas.]
ko
kaun [nas.]
kau

Ligatures at the end of the alphabet:

ky
kr
kl
kv
ksh

Initially, you need a diagram of the Devanagari alphabet to find your was through the dictionary.

Nasals come first of all, grouped under the resp. vowel, not separately (the letter 'a' starts with nasalized 'an'), then the plain vowels including 'ai' and 'au' (a, aa, i, ii, u, uu, ri, e, ai, o, au) then the consonants:

ka kha ga gha
cha chha ja jha
Ta Tha Da Dha Na
ta tha da dha na
pa pha [fa] ba bha ma
ya ra la va sha sha sa ha

Diphthongs made up of two vowel signs come before the consonnants, e.g. 'kaaii' comes before 'kaak'. Letters with a dot below are just variants and are not grouped seperately.

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”