curious about pronunciation

Moderator: vijayjohn

lillekvinne

curious about pronunciation

Postby lillekvinne » 2005-10-13, 6:58

it tells me in my book there is no 'w' sound in the vowel 'au'...however in some hindi stuff I listen to its there and its not even the 'i speak english so I hear it wrong thing' there is very obviously a 'w' sound....now I can distinguish 'o' and 'au' without a 'w' sound so my question isn't about how to do it...I was curious if this is common...and if it is in a certain area, where? was the person speaking probably just over doing how cleary he pronounced things?

sorry its random....I'm just curious

Jamie*On

Postby Jamie*On » 2005-10-13, 10:49

The Hindi "au" is like the O in "corn" with no hint of the R.

Hope that helps, the best thing is to imitate what you hear when you hear words with the "au" sound in them.

I hope you will keep posting here when you have questions and want to learn things,

best wishes.

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2005-10-17, 10:55

This doesn't answer the original question, but as to pronunciation in general I find 'A Door Into Hindi' quite helpful: http://www.ncsu.edu/project/hindi_lessons/lessons.html
Gentles do not reprehend.

Jamie*On

Postby Jamie*On » 2005-10-19, 16:07

Depends what you mean by "W" sound. In Hindi and Urdu there is no English w sound (as in "won") but something between a W and a V which is written normally with the letter V when you write it in Roman alphabet.

E.g. vo

(= him, her, that)

lillekvinne

Postby lillekvinne » 2005-10-19, 21:43

I shouldn't be allowed to write when I'm tired...my real question was meant to be this...

in english sometimes when you mock somebody or are talking rather emphatically (not sure about spelling) certain sounds come out that shouldn't be there sometimes they are even quite foreign to your native language (when my nephew talks emphatically he sounds like he is speaking chinese and you have to listen very very hard to hear the english words he's trying to say)

the point...I heard a very prominant 'w' sound...as in english when this guy spoke hindi...so was I wrong in assuming he was a native speaker? or was he possibly talking emphatically or mocking somebody and the 'w' sound just popped out?

I really really shouldn't write when I'm tired :roll: ...I didn't even come close to asking what I wanted to....

Jamie*On

Postby Jamie*On » 2005-10-20, 18:06

Give the example, then maybe I can figure it out.

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”