Help with video transcription

Moderator:vijayjohn

do_shahbaz
Help with video transcription

Postby do_shahbaz » 2021-10-05, 2:16

I am currently doing an analysis, for a Sociolinguistics presentation, of this video below, which features an interview of a member of the German Consulate in Pakistan by Pakistani reporters -- an interesting case of phenomena relating to language use (code-switching etc.):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0XQRdaOjPM

I've more or less caught on all of the English parts of the video, however since I only speak a tiny smattering of Hindustani I can't get the Urdu parts of the video, which I had timestamped below for convenience's sake:

0:51 (the Urdu word that comes before 'I come to hospital')
0:58-1:23 (my limited knowledge of Hindustani only allows me to catch bits such as 'eek minut' and 'do minut')
and any other bits of Urdu in other parts of the video (save ones that are inaudible enough) I may have missed.

The presentation is due about 12 hours from now -- I'd be very much grateful to anybody who lends any help, however small, as soon as possible. Thank you in advance.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Help with video transcription

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-05, 2:30

At 0:51, he just said, "Nahin, nahin, you come to hospital!" before the German guy says, "Yeah, I came down to the hospital. I have no problem."
At 0:58 I'm not entirely sure what's being said is even in Urdu; it could be Punjabi. Basically, they're asking for the camera to be shut off while they talk to the German guy for a minute or two. I hear "ek minute, bhai, baat suniye!" (one minute, brother, listen to what I'm saying (more literally 'listen to speech')) and then "ek minute" (one minute) again, "band karaa de camera" (turn the camera off), then "do minute ke liye band kar de" (turn it off for two minutes).

do_shahbaz

Postby do_shahbaz » 2021-10-05, 3:40

vijayjohn wrote:At 0:51, he just said, "Nahin, nahin, you come to hospital!" before the German guy says, "Yeah, I came down to the hospital. I have no problem."
At 0:58 I'm not entirely sure what's being said is even in Urdu; it could be Punjabi. Basically, they're asking for the camera to be shut off while they talk to the German guy for a minute or two. I hear "ek minute, bhai, baat suniye!" (one minute, brother, listen to what I'm saying (more literally 'listen to speech')) and then "ek minute" (one minute) again, "band karaa de camera" (turn the camera off), then "do minute ke liye band kar de" (turn it off for two minutes).

Shukriyaa! Thank you for the explanation; they are truly appreciated.

I believe there was some bits of Urdu in the last three seconds of the video; care to make a try at them as well?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-05, 4:24

I couldn't really make out what was being said at the end, I'm afraid. All I heard was toRo 'break!'.

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”