Best resources as of 2020

Moderator:vijayjohn

n8an
Best resources as of 2020

Postby n8an » 2020-05-21, 16:16

Let's make a list!

So I already have Elementary Hindi (both textbook and workbook) and Teach Yourself, but I lost the book for Teach Yourself :roll: and am wanting to purchase it again. I really like both Elementary and TY, so I've been searching for TY and found that it's a new edition -

this one:

https://www.booktopia.com.au/teach-your ... hmEALw_wcB.

Is this the same book that everyone raves about and I used to own? Or is this a totally different book?

Also, I want to eventually learn Nastaaliq. The most frustrating thing is that I read Arabic and Persian so freaking naturally and fluently that when I see Urdu typed, I can read it with ease. I just can't read Nastaaliq to save my life.

Therefore, I can't recommend any Urdu resources, even though I own TY Urdu.

What else do we have?

salaam123

Re: Best resources as of 2020

Postby salaam123 » 2020-06-10, 11:44

there are many resources in https://www.audible.co.uk . I have bought two e-books, which include an e-book and an accompanying audiofile which can be listened on the site. I have purchased Learn Urdu - Level 4: Intermediate Urdu
Volume 1: Lessons 1-25 and Learn Urdu - Level 5: Advanced Urdu, Volume 1: Lessons 1-25 , which I'm currently studying. I study with a dictionary(which I have three of in my phone) since the translations don't go by word for word all the time.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2020-06-10, 13:25

salaam123 wrote:there are many resources in https://www.audible.co.uk . I have bought two e-books, which include an e-book and an accompanying audiofile which can be listened on the site. I have purchased Learn Urdu - Level 4: Intermediate Urdu
Volume 1: Lessons 1-25 and Learn Urdu - Level 5: Advanced Urdu, Volume 1: Lessons 1-25 , which I'm currently studying. I study with a dictionary(which I have three of in my phone) since the translations don't go by word for word all the time.

Good idea!

n8an

Postby n8an » 2020-06-27, 2:37

So I repurchased TY Hindi online!

I was pretty reluctant to because I know my old book is somewhere in the house but whatever lol.

I'm so pleased I did in the end, because the new book is made so much better! Instead of the tiny book with the old paper that would NEVER stay open, the new book is much bigger and printed on shiny white paper. It's just such a nicer experience! I do kind of miss the old book for nostalgic reasons, but this one will be so much easier to study with!

It seems like the content is the same from what I've looked at - I remember some of the stories and stuff.

Also, you know you're old when it comes in the mail and you don't see the CDs so you think you've accidentally ordered it without them - but then you realise it's available for download :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-14, 15:58

Maybe I'll edit this post if I can remember any other particularly good resources, but Platts's dictionary seems pretty invaluable to me. There at least used to be an online Oxford Urdu dictionary, too, although I can't seem to find it at the moment. Could it be that it's no longer online? :?

I also like this resource for the Divan-e-Ghalib, but idk whether I'd say it's one of the best resources. The translations feel pretty stilted to me a lot of times, but it still seems helpful in terms of understanding vocabulary and especially poetry in Urdu.

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”