Hindi question with regards to word विद्या

Moderator:vijayjohn

umairaasem
Hindi question with regards to word विद्या

Postby umairaasem » 2020-04-13, 10:38

Hi. I have recently learnt how to read Hindi and am becoming more and more confident. However I had one question which I'm hoping someone on this forum can help please. I am familiar with the concept that some words use half letter because in the pronunciation that letter are pronounced together for example in the word बच्चा cha appears as half letter and in the word ख्वाब kha appear as half letter. Most of the times I have no problem in pronouncing the word as it is obvious to me which letter is being made short. However when it comes to the combination of da + ya I am very confused. For example

1. विद्या this word is pronounced as Vidya. However if I am reading it I would read it as Vidha because the letter dha is written as ध and the letter ya is written as य and I don't see ya anywhere in विद्या

2. Similarly in the word विद्यालय correct pronunciation is vidyalaya however if I didn't know I would read it as vidhalaya. So basically I am confused as to how just by writing द्य this is pronounced as dya and where is the ya in this joint word?

Thank you so much

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Hindi question with regards to word विद्या

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-04-14, 18:33

I get what you're saying because I used to have trouble understanding that myself, but the द is in the top-left corner, and then the rest of the character is basically य.

umairaasem

Re: Hindi question with regards to word विद्या

Postby umairaasem » 2020-04-14, 21:54

Thanks alot :) that's helpful I can actually see and visualise it now. Thank you

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”