Hindi - n8an

Moderator:vijayjohn

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Hindi - n8an

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-24, 3:56

I thought maybe it had something to do with how much Punjabi already resembles Hindi/Urdu. I wonder whether there might also be some relationship between these facts and the heavy use of Punjabi in (newer?) Bollywood songs.
Saim wrote:कया हलचल?

Doesn't that literally mean 'what plow-move' or something?
I think you'll have to wait for mundiya's contribution for the pragmatics of it.

My sister-in-law's a native speaker, so maybe I could ask her if I know what to ask. :P

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-08-25, 8:42

vijayjohn wrote:I thought maybe it had something to do with how much Punjabi already resembles Hindi/Urdu. I wonder whether there might also be some relationship between these facts and the heavy use of Punjabi in (newer?) Bollywood songs.

On the contrary, that gives Punjabi prestige. North Indian pop culture (in both Hindi and Punjabi) is massively popular in Pakistan.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood you. Yes, the fact that Urdu is easier to learn for Punjabis than for Bengalis and Pakhtuns might have influenced the Punjabi support for Urdu as the state language. However, I think the fact that the Punjabi elite already knew Urdu before independence was a more important factor -- this was, though, influenced by the British choosing Urdu as the official language, which itself had to do with them seeing Punjabi as a dialect of Hindustani and wanting to use bureaucrats trained in what is now the "Hindi belt" to govern Punjab. So the small linguistic distance between Hindustani and Punjabi may have been a factor, albeit one that's difficult to divide from the non-linguistic factors.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-25, 12:36

Oh, interesting! I didn't know the British saw Punjabi as merely a dialect of Hindi; it kind of makes me wonder whether this was ever a controversial issue in India post-independence (I'm pretty sure I've heard of Pakistanis who believe Punjabi is just a dialect of Urdu, at least). I just found out that in the 1951 Census of India, there were no separate figures for Hindi, Urdu, and Punjabi, apparently due to incorrect records in some areas. I appreciate you pointing out how Bollywood gives Punjabi prestige as well. :)

n8an

Postby n8an » 2018-08-29, 13:44

So, I'd really like to supplement my Elementary Hindi with other materials (since my quest for an irl language partner has been an epic fail).

When I first tried Hindi in 2015, I did use both Elementary Hindi and this

Which I know is what a lot of people are very fond of.

Since then, I've lost the book :( and all I have is this box with the CDs.

I'd like to give it another try, but I've looked all over my entire house and can't find it anywhere. I think I must have lent it to someone or something. I can't find this edition online for any reasonable price, but I see this is the new one

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Hindi-B ... 144410683X

Is it the same as the 2010 edition I previously had? Will it match my audio? Or is it completely different?

If so, should I buy it? And is it worth buying without the CDs? I really don't want to buy another CD package, especially since my computer now doesn't have a CD drive :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-30, 11:57

Would you consider using an older version of TY Hindi? :)

n8an

Postby n8an » 2018-09-02, 15:57

Just as we were discussing oblique infinitives, it came up in my book. I've done some reading about it and I think I get it now.

I'm currently really struggling with word order. I think it's the part of Hindi I'm worst at right now. I need to read more to figure it out myself.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2019-06-19, 12:48

Back at it :D

It's been forever since I touched Hindi, so I'm going from Chapter 7 of Elementary Hindi to brush up on things. It's all coming back to me quickly, which is nice.

I really fucking wish I had my TY Hindi book :( I can't justify buying another one. It annoys me so much that I've lost it. Where the fuckkkkk could it be?

Anyway, I forgot how much I loved Hindi! What an amazing language. Hopefully I have more dedication this time around.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-21, 3:37

Are you still studying Hindi, n8an? :)

n8an

Postby n8an » 2020-05-21, 15:41

vijayjohn wrote:Are you still studying Hindi, n8an? :)

I genuinely think I should start again. But omg, looking at this I realise how much I've forgotten. It's daunting :roll:

n8an

Postby n8an » 2022-05-24, 12:27

This thread is so depressing :D

I really want to start Hindi and Greek again. Wish me luck!

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-05-29, 12:25

Boa sorte!
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2022-05-29, 15:05

Osias wrote:Boa sorte!

Thank you! I really need it.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2022-06-13, 4:01

Watched a Bollywood romcom last night that I watched around the same time I was most focused on learning Hindi. It brought back such nostalgic memories of learning that I'm glad I've started going over my books again.

Looking back, I think Elementary Hindi is better for the early stages of the language. I also think that the actual book itself is much easier to learn from - big, easy to open, hardcover - and the workbook is awesome for more practice.

TY Hindi is probably better overall, but that little book is really annoying to learn from - if it could open flat it would be 10x better. I know this is not really a complaint, but books need to be user friendly if they want to be...used.

I unfortunately have much less opportunities to practice Hindi since the pandemic started, but I still have all my friends to speak with if they have the patience 8-)

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”