Urdu Study Group

Moderator:vijayjohn

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Urdu Study Group

Postby eskandar » 2020-05-04, 23:15

vijayjohn wrote:My best guess is ڈبڈبا, pronounced ḍubḍuba here rather than ḍabḍaba (I guess ḍabḍaba is a dialectal variant of ḍubḍuba).

That's got to be it. Thanks!!

You made this accusation of free will (مختاری) unfairly against us poor, captive people.
You do as you will; you insulted us in vain.

(Basically Mir addresses God, saying "You unfairly accused us of having free will, when in fact, we are utterly subject to Your will. You're able to do whatever you want, unlike us, and you've needlessly defamed us by claiming we're free.")

Meanwhile, I tried reading just the first few lines of the Cinderella story, and I'm already baffled.

It's hard, right!? I started reading it a few days ago, but when I realized I wasn't going to be able to quickly read it in a single sitting, I put it down to read other things. I'll give it another go again soon.

I'm going to attempt a translation just so that I can try to make sense of them

There is a translation of the story here. I'm not going to read it, or your translation, until I have a chance to read the original for myself first (otherwise that will take all the fun out of it!)
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-05-13, 16:24

Well, for whatever it's worth, I read the beginning of that translation and realized that my own translation is not even close to being the right one. :lol:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 0:36

Meera, księżycowy, and I are thinking of reviving this study group to go through Beginning Urdu by Joshua H. Pien! If anyone else is interested but doesn't have access to the book or audio, let (at least one of) us know! :)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-10-19, 17:44

Hello I'm going to join the study group. :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 17:57

Thanks, Meera! :D And you said you were thinking of going through the pronunciation and alphabet quickly? Are you planning on doing the exercises in those sections, or just starting with Unit 1? Whatever you're thinking of doing, maybe we can go through it together! Just let me know. :)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-10-19, 18:11

vijayjohn wrote:Thanks, Meera! :D And you said you were thinking of going through the pronunciation and alphabet quickly? Are you planning on doing the exercises in those sections, or just starting with Unit 1? Whatever you're thinking of doing, maybe we can go through it together! Just let me know. :)

I'm probably going to start with the pronunciation and alphabet quickly. I'm more familiar with Hindi, but I haven't looked at Urdu in a long time and after doing a pretty intensive study of Arabic for a couple of years I think I need the refresher with Urdu script so I don't pronounce everything like Arabic lmao. I'll probably do the exercises as well.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-19, 18:19

All right, then I'll try to go through those exercises as well! :) (Of course, other study groups + the FUBAR game may pose a bit of a complication in terms of timing :D ).

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-10-27, 13:26

vijayjohn wrote:All right, then I'll try to go through those exercises as well! :) (Of course, other study groups + the FUBAR game may pose a bit of a complication in terms of timing :D ).

I guess no one else wants to join our study group :D
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-27, 14:13

Lol yeah, I agree, all of the study groups have been pretty quiet!

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-11-08, 18:05

I just wrapped up the first chapter.
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-09, 15:58

You mean Unit 1?

Meera

Postby Meera » 2021-11-11, 1:08

vijayjohn wrote:You mean Unit 1?

Yes Unit 1 :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-11-12, 15:30

Meera wrote:I just wrapped up the first chapter.

And now, so have I! :mrgreen:

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2022-01-26, 4:09

Any interest in getting this going again, too? I propose picking up where we left off...almost two years ago :para: ...with working through some TV, per Saim's suggestion:

Saim wrote:How about we try watching the first episode or two of lots of different series rather than trying to power through a single one?

and/or reading something:

eskandar wrote:There are some real classics here along with glossaries. I'm going to read Anwar Sajjad's "Cinderella" there to start. Since the vocabulary is already provided, maybe we can post about structures or sentences we found difficult to understand.

(I never did read "Cinderella", but if it's too tough we can just do a news article or something.)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-26, 16:17

eskandar wrote:Any interest in getting this going again, too?

Yep! :mrgreen:
(I never did read "Cinderella", but if it's too tough we can just do a news article or something.)

Tbh, that was impossible!!! IIRC I read the translation and still didn't get it. :lol:

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2022-01-26, 16:53

vijayjohn wrote:Tbh, that was impossible!!! IIRC I read the translation and still didn't get it. :lol:

All the more reason to try!!! Rather than tackling paragraphs at a time, we could break it down sentence by sentence. (But I'm happy to read something else if that isn't appealing).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-26, 19:48

eskandar wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Tbh, that was impossible!!! IIRC I read the translation and still didn't get it. :lol:

All the more reason to try!!! Rather than tackling paragraphs at a time, we could break it down sentence by sentence. (But I'm happy to read something else if that isn't appealing).

Okay, you've convinced me! I'm game for at least trying to make sense of it.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2022-01-26, 23:19

Cool, I'll get us started with the first sentence, and we can see how it goes.

کبھی وہ سوچتی: اس کی عمر ایک لمحہ ہے، کبھی وہ سوچتی: اس کی عمر سو سال ہے، کبھی وہ سوچتی: وہ عمر کی قید میں نہیں، یا شاید ابھی اسے جنم لینا ہے
Sometimes she thinks: he/she has only existed for a moment, sometimes she thinks: he/she is 100 years old, sometimes she thinks: he/she is not bound by time [age], or maybe he/she is about to be born.

Notes: now I remember why none of us got very far with this. It's hard when you understand every word but still can't quite figure out what is going on. I don't know if اس کی عمر refers to the وہ who is thinking, or if she is thinking about someone else - hopefully that will become clear. Also, took a guess about the meaning of اسے جنم لینا ہے - wasn't totally sure on that :?:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2022-01-27, 9:12

وہ اس کمرے میں سدا سے قید تھی اور اس امید میں تھی کہ کوئی آئے اور اسے اس بطن سے جنواۓ۔

She was always imprisoned in this room and hoped that someone would come and save her from it (lit. "deliver her from this belly").

پھر وہ سوچتی: کوئی کب اسے جنواۓ گا، اسے خود ہی کوئی حیلہ کرنا ہو گا، اس بطن سے مر کے نکلے تو کیا نکلے!

Then she thinks: when will someone free her? She'll need to think something up herself, what'll happen if she dies before getting out?

eskandar wrote:Notes: now I remember why none of us got very far with this. It's hard when you understand every word but still can't quite figure out what is going on. I don't know if اس کی عمر refers to the وہ who is thinking, or if she is thinking about someone else - hopefully that will become clear. Also, took a guess about the meaning of اسے جنم لینا ہے - wasn't totally sure on that :?:

Based on the section I just looked at it's pretty clear the referent here is the subject of سوچتی (presumably Cindarella given the title :lol: ).

I think your interpretation of اسے جنم لینا ہے is correct, I can't think of what else it could mean. It also makes sense in the light of the metaphor of her being saved from the room she's stuck in being described as her being "delivered from a belly".

Saim

Postby Saim » 2022-01-28, 0:01

وہ چپکے سے دروازہ کھول کر باہر دیکھتی۔

She secretly opens the door and looks outside.

باہر دروازے کے سامنے وہ بھاری بھر کم خونی کتا زبان نکالے ہانپتا ہوا وحشی مکار نظروں سے دیکتھا؛ جو ازل سے وہاں کھڑا تھا۔

Outside, in front of the door, the large, bloodthirsty dog [وہ بھاری بھر کم خونی کتا] that had always been standing there [جو ازل سے وہاں کھڑا تھا], watches slyly and ferociously [وحشی مکار نظروں سے دیکتھا], panting with its tongue out [زبان نکالے ہانپتا ہوا].

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”