Antea's Hindi and Urdu thread

Moderator:vijayjohn

Antea
Antea's Hindi and Urdu thread

Postby Antea » 2017-07-27, 11:25

Hello! I am taking a break from Arabic (a lot of Arabic this year :roll: ), and trying to remember my lessons of Hindi.
I had actually no practice at all with this language, and I am having a hard time with word order and above all, with verb tenses.

As I am used to Arabic alphabet, I am trying also to apply my Hindi basic knowledge to try to get started in Urdu. I also find that Urdu is easier for me from a vocabulary point of view, because they use many Arabic words.

I have tried to write something in both languages (is basically the same message), my first trying, so I supposed there will be plenty of errors :oops: . Any correction you could provide me, would be a great help for me in order to correct my sentences structures and verb tenses (because I am badly struggling with it :blush: ). Thanks.

नमस्ते, मैंने कुछ समय पहले हिंदी सीखती थी। । लेकिन अब मुझे कई चीजें याद नहीं हैं । मुझे अधिक शब्दावली सीखने की जरूरत है । मैं बॉलीवुड फिल्मों को देखने की कोशिश कर रही हूं। शायद धीरज के साथ मैं और अधिक सीख सकती हूं

ہیلو، میں نے کچھ وقت پہلے اردو سیکھتی تھی. لیکن اب مجھے بہت سی چیزیں یاد نہیں ہیں. مجھے مزید الفاظ سیکھنے کی ضرورت ہے. میں فلموں کو دیکھنے کی کوشش کر رہی ہوں. شاید صبر کے ساتھ میں زیادہ سیکھ سکتی ہوں

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Antea's Hindi and Urdu thread

Postby eskandar » 2017-07-30, 6:00

The Urdu pretty much looks fine to me, just delete the نے in the first sentence!

Also, مجھے بہت سی چیزیں یاد نہیں ہیں is OK but I think it'd be more idiomatic to say میں بہت سی چیزیں بھول گئی .
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-07-30, 8:55

بہت شکریہ

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-08-01, 10:19

मुझे बहुत भाषा सीखना पसंद है, लेकिन मेरे पास सीखने के लिए बहुत समय नहीं है। आजकल मैं कोशिश हिंदी सीखने करता हूं। मैं और शब्द इस गर्मी में सीखने आशा। फिलहाल, मैं हिंदी के अपने स्तर में सुधार करना चाहती हूं।

Ber

Postby Ber » 2017-08-15, 7:49

Antea wrote:मुझे बहुत भाषा सीखना पसंद है,

Did you want to say that you like learning many languages, or that you like learning languages very much?

Here are some corrections with words reordered, and more idiomatic expressions.

लेकिन मेरे पास सीखने के लिए बहुत समय नहीं है।

लेकिन मुझे सीखने का बहुत समय तो नहीं मिलता।

आजकल मैं कोशिश हिंदी सीखने करता हूं।

आजकल मैं हिंदी सीखने की कोशिश करती हूँ।

मैं और शब्द इस गर्मी में सीखने आशा।

इस गर्मी में मैं और शब्द सीखने की आशा करती हूँ।

फिलहाल, मैं हिंदी के अपने स्तर में सुधार करना चाहती हूं।

फ़िलहाल मैं अपनी हिंदी सुधारना चाहती हूँ।

Antea

Postby Antea » 2017-08-15, 10:17

Thank you, very much :D . I am still a beginner and word order and grammar in general are still a problem for me.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-07-11, 16:08

I am considering reviewing the grammar, and trying to make some sentences. For that I need to learn, or at least remember, some vocabulary :hmm:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-14, 19:24

I have been reviewing the lessons I took a year ago with my teacher of Urdu, and compared to now, I had quite a level at that time, I am amazed. I have lost a lot, if not almost all of the vocabulary. Last year I wrote sentences I wouldn’t be able to do now. How could I have lost so much of the language... :hmm: :roll:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-14, 20:15

I'm in the same boat, though it was more than a year ago that I seriously took a stab at learning Hindi. Duolingo is helping, though it's not reviewing a lot of the verbs I need and throwing in some nouns I don't. (I don't plan to buy a lot of bananas on Devon Avenue.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-11-21, 3:36

Are y'all still studying Hindi, Urdu, or both? (And if so, how's that going?)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-11-24, 8:24

vijayjohn wrote:Are y'all still studying Hindi, Urdu, or both? (And if so, how's that going?)

It is always on my mind (as the song says). I like the language very much, and yes, I plan to continue with it.

The problem is that my level is so low, that I cannot really do anything by myself. Which means, that I cannot understand videos, so no Youtube material, and of course I have not the level to read...That means that the only thing I could do now to improve my leel, is to take some boring lessons for beginners, and at the moment I am really not on the mood for it :roll: In fact, I have the same problem with Hebrew (but still with more cognates) :hmm:

So the question is, how to improve my level by myself, learning vocabulary (without cognates), and without lessons? :hmm: Suggestions are welcome :yep:
Last edited by Antea on 2019-11-25, 6:30, edited 1 time in total.

laoshu

Postby laoshu » 2019-11-25, 2:42

Hi Antea, maybe you could try to say/write something again in Hindi and we'll look at it?
Native: (id)
Speaks: (zh)(en-us)(hi)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2022-10-31, 17:23

I have been reading an article in Urdu and I am going to note down some of the new vocabulary that I found.

ماہرینِ آثارِ قدیمہ Archaelogists
تلاش شروع Start searching
اہمیت importance
کھنڈرات the ruins
زائرین visitors
زائرین temple
علاقوں areas
سمندر the sea

Antea

Postby Antea » 2022-11-06, 18:26

مالا مال wealthy