Short Questions

Moderator:vijayjohn

Jesus Bhai
Re: Short Questions

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-07-06, 21:44

Yep. Bakwaas is like saying "nonsense"

On the subject of nonsense... :mrgreen: Here's some vocabulary!

Pagal (mad/crazy)
Bewakoof (fool/idiot)
Gadha (donkey)
Uloo da patta (son of an owl, like saying idiot or fool)

I can give you further lessons if you want, but they'd have to be through private messages, or like I said, I'd get banned :rotfl:

As for your question:

How are you: Kya haal hai?
What's up: (this is something i always say) kya khabar hai aaj? (what's the news of the day?)
Interested in practicing urdu over IM services, check my profile for contact info. Big interest in Old Hindustani and Punjabi music, always uploading songs to my youtube channel.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-07-08, 23:09

I think swearing is allowed on Unilang? I'm sure I've seen some f-bombs dropped on this site with no repercussions. Just don't abuse any particular person and you should be fine, I think.

charlie_issac

Postby charlie_issac » 2012-07-09, 9:01

Hello...........

Kya hal hai? Jesus Bhai......m I r8? Yesterday I asked "Kya Hal Hai?" to one of my Indian friend..He really get shocked to hear this and replied "sb thk hai" and asked me where you had learned this?

But Jesus bhai I am unable to pronounce it properly. What should I do?

Hey Jesus where is Meera ji How is she? Kya haal hai? Sorry if I am wrong........

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-07-09, 9:46

@saim
oye kithe gayab ho gayi tusi yaar? kithe kithe gum rahe ho ajj kal?

@charlie
Main bilkul theek hoon, aap kaise hai bhai? if you're having trouble with the pronounciation, find some friends to help you out. They'll be really happy to help I'm sure. Not sure where Meera ji has gone off to. Maybe Saim paaji will stick around and help out :rotfl:
Interested in practicing urdu over IM services, check my profile for contact info. Big interest in Old Hindustani and Punjabi music, always uploading songs to my youtube channel.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-07-09, 18:47

charlie_issac wrote:Hello...........

Kya hal hai? Jesus Bhai......m I r8? Yesterday I asked "Kya Hal Hai?" to one of my Indian friend..He really get shocked to hear this and replied "sb thk hai" and asked me where you had learned this?

But Jesus bhai I am unable to pronounce it properly. What should I do?

Hey Jesus where is Meera ji How is she? Kya haal hai? Sorry if I am wrong........

main yahaan hoon aur main theek hoon charlie ji. aur aap kaise hain ji?
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-07-09, 19:01

शयाद विकिपीडिया मदद करें ।

Maybe Wikipedia will help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi-Urdu_phonology

charlie_issac

Postby charlie_issac » 2012-07-10, 7:10

Hello Mira ji and Jesus Bhai.......
I think Speaking with native Hindi speakers will help me a lot to catch the correct accent and will increase my vocabulary and modes of expression...Suggest some entertaining games which involves using Hindi so that I can learn new words through it .

Jesus Bhai

Postby Jesus Bhai » 2012-07-10, 13:18

Hey hey Charlie Saab. Well if you're into Indian music, one game you could try is called 'Antakshari'

It's a musical game, the rules of which are better explained by:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antakshari

This game is a lot of fun. Give it a try sometime.

jiback7

Postby jiback7 » 2012-09-24, 3:16

How do you say these words in hindi?:

confusing
famous
fun
jealous
last
same
troublesome
nervous
cute
scared

धन्यवाद

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2012-12-27, 19:21

Hi, could someone compare Hindi and Bangla?
Which one is easier?
Shukriya
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-12-28, 0:39

TeneReef wrote:Hi, could someone compare Hindi and Bangla?
Which one is easier?
Shukriya

Hmm I would say Hindi is easier, but it depends on what you find hard. Bangla has no gender but more cases and a harder writing system. Also Bengali doesn't have as many resources as Hindi. I think that Hindi is easier to pronounce. I think you should do the one you like better though.
अहिंसा/เจ

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2012-12-28, 2:40

I like the Bengali script more, it seems more elegant and less clustered.
:oops: I like the sounds of both languages tho'. :hmm:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2012-12-30, 6:51

TeneReef wrote:I like the Bengali script more, it seems more elegant and less clustered.

Not exactly my thoughts haha. But I do think it is very pretty.

I think Hindi is just a notch easier. I second what Meera said. Bengali, grammatically, is a bit more.... complex, but at least there is no genders. Bengali has more cases, and harder personal pronouns(at least I think so). Phonetically, I think Bengali is a bit harder too. Not much so, mind you.

Just do a little research and dabbling and pick your favorite( or pick both? :twisted:)!
Which ever one you like most will seem easier. I don't think neither of them are particularly daunting languages. They are both very useful and fun too :mrgreen:

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-01-02, 20:53

Yeah TeneReef, I have to agree with bijlee, pick the one you want. Both have a lot of speakers so you cant go wrong with either. Some things that are difficult for us might not be as difficult for you. Since you speak Croatian, you might not find the cases in Bengali that daunting as Bijlee and i do. I just think you have to try out both and see which one feels right for you. Or do both :P
अहिंसा/เจ

Cycol

Postby Cycol » 2013-04-15, 23:15

So how do you make the ergative constructions?
Current Focus
[flag]nl[/flag] Nederlands [flag]tl[/flag]Tagalog [flag]pt[/flag] português [flag]syc[/flag] ܣܘܪܝܝܐ [flag]bm[/flag]Mandi'nka kango[flag]fa[/flag] اُردو [flag]ur[/flag] فارسی [flag]ml[/flag]മലയാളം [flag]zh[/flag]漢語[flag]en[/flag] English[flag]ro[/flag]عربية تشادية

Cycol

Postby Cycol » 2013-04-17, 16:42

Cycol wrote:So how do you make the ergative constructions?

I mean 'ne' added to the noun.
how do you use it in Hindi?
Current Focus
[flag]nl[/flag] Nederlands [flag]tl[/flag]Tagalog [flag]pt[/flag] português [flag]syc[/flag] ܣܘܪܝܝܐ [flag]bm[/flag]Mandi'nka kango[flag]fa[/flag] اُردو [flag]ur[/flag] فارسی [flag]ml[/flag]മലയാളം [flag]zh[/flag]漢語[flag]en[/flag] English[flag]ro[/flag]عربية تشادية

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-04-20, 17:39

I'm nota linguist so I don't know if I can use the right terms to describe this. But for me, I think of it as a "special" past tense. For example if you said, "the boy wrote one letter" in Hindi you would say, "लड़के ने एक चिट्ठी लिखी". The "ने" part tells us the boy is the one who did the action. I want to say it's the object marker but I'm not sure if that's accurate.
अहिंसा/เจ

Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » 2013-04-20, 17:45

Cycol wrote:

I didn't quite understand the usage of ने, so I figured this might be a good opportunity to read up on it... helping you understand it will help me to understand it. From what I've read, ने is used in sentences with a transitive verb in the perfective tense (tense, aspect, whatevs, you know what I mean). It is inserted after the subject of the sentence, but since this is an ergative marker, the verb agrees with the object of the sentence. So it'd be हम लिखे we wrote compared to हमने चिट्ठी लिखी we wrote a letter. लिखना agrees with हम (masculine plural) in the first sentence because it is intransitive, and it agrees with चिट्ठी (feminine singular) in the second because it is transitive.

Note that like the postpositions (से etc.) and का, nouns are in the oblique case when followed by ने. Pronouns are a bit odd here, though. Personal pronouns remain unchanged, except for यह and वह, which take their oblique forms (so इसने and उसने), and ये and वे, which become इन्होंने and उन्होंने.

EDIT: Meera beat me to it! :P Funny how we both used लिखना... TY Hindi anyone?

Meera

Postby Meera » 2013-04-20, 18:10

Satsuma wrote:

Yeah I remembered that sentence from TY when explaining it also :P I think maybe because it's the simplest example to use :)

And Satsuma you should come in the Hindi forum and practice with us more :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ

Cycol

Postby Cycol » 2013-05-06, 20:17

Satsuma wrote:
Cycol wrote:

I didn't quite understand the usage of ने, so I figured this might be a good opportunity to read up on it... helping you understand it will help me to understand it. From what I've read, ने is used in sentences with a transitive verb in the perfective tense (tense, aspect, whatevs, you know what I mean). It is inserted after the subject of the sentence, but since this is an ergative marker, the verb agrees with the object of the sentence. So it'd be हम लिखे we wrote compared to हमने चिट्ठी लिखी we wrote a letter. लिखना agrees with हम (masculine plural) in the first sentence because it is intransitive, and it agrees with चिट्ठी (feminine singular) in the second because it is transitive.

Note that like the postpositions (से etc.) and का, nouns are in the oblique case when followed by ने. Pronouns are a bit odd here, though. Personal pronouns remain unchanged, except for यह and वह, which take their oblique forms (so इसने and उसने), and ये and वे, which become इन्होंने and उन्होंने.

Hmm... I see...
I had problem with it, because my textbook didn't explain it clearly.
Current Focus

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”