Urdu Study Group

Moderator:vijayjohn

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Urdu Study Group

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-28, 4:50

وہ کتے کو چپکارنے کی کوشش کرتی، کتا خونخواری سے بھونکتا، قدم اٹھاتا، وہ پچھلے پیر پلٹ کر جھٹ سے دروازہ بند کر دیتی۔
She tries to pet the dog. The dog barks out of bloodlust and moves faster. She moves her back leg back and quickly closes the door.

کتے کے بھونکنے سے ماں کو پتہ چل جاتا کہ اس نے پھر کوئی گڑبڑ کرنے کوشش کی ہے۔
From the dog's barking, her mother realizes that she's been up to no good again (lit. "she tried to confuse again").

EDIT: I'm assuming we're not looking at the translation just yet, right? Since that would probably defeat the whole purpose? :hmm:

Saim

Postby Saim » 2022-01-28, 5:29

What translation? :para:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-01-28, 15:12

The one eskandar linked to at the end of this post! :D

Honestly, my attempted translation of the first few sentences in the post just before that is hilarious. :lol: (We are already way past those sentences in this passage, and...trust me, you've done a much better job with it).
► Show Spoiler

But anyway (still assuming none of us are looking at it yet):

وہ مع اپنی بیٹیوں کے آتی، کتے کو تھپکی دیتی اور کمرے میں داخل ہو کر بغیر کچھ کہے سنے اس کی خوب پٹائی کرتی۔
She comes with her daughters, pats the dog, and, upon entering the room, without a word, gives her a sound beating.

جاتے ہوئے اس کی بہنیں کئی گز الجھی ہوئی اون اس کے سامنے ڈال دیتیں اور ماں غراتی کہ جب تک اون کی گنجلکیں نہیں کھلتیں اسے کھانا نہیں ملے گا۔
On their way out, her sisters put a few yards of tangled yarn in front of her, and her mother growls that she won't get anything to eat until she opens the knots in the yarn.

I found the definition of گُنْجَلَک here. It's supposedly of Persian origin.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2022-02-02, 7:02

vijayjohn wrote:I found the definition of گُنْجَلَک here. It's supposedly of Persian origin.

It's also in the glossary.

اس کی آنکھوں کے تمام آنسو خشک ہو جاتے۔ وہ اون سلجھانے لگتی اور کھڑکی سے باہر کھلے آسمان کی طرف دیکھنے لگتی۔

All her tears dry up. She starts to untangle the wool and looks out the window towards the open sky.

اس کی ماں سوتیلی تھی اور بہنیں بھی سوتیلی۔

Her mother was her stepmother and her sisters were stepsisters. [I initially read this as "her mother was a tyrant" because سوتیلاپن means 'tyranny, oppression'--I guess because of the cruelty of stepparents like in Cinderella?]

اس کی ماں اس کے پیدا ہوتے ہی مر گئی تھی اور اس کا باپ اس کی پیدائش سے ایک سال بعد۔

Her mother had died upon childbirth and her father, a year after her birth.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-02, 16:43

eskandar wrote:It's also in the glossary.

Oh, thanks! I think you mentioned this glossary before, but I completely forgot about it!
I initially read this as "her mother was a tyrant" because سوتیلاپن means 'tyranny, oppression'--I guess because of the cruelty of stepparents like in Cinderella?.

Apparently Cinderella and various other stories about cruel stepparents. I suspect high-caste men having affairs and children with low-caste women may also play a role here as this seems likely to lead to very strained relations between children and their stepmothers and half-siblings.

This paragraph is kind of short, so I guess I might as well just try to finish it off:

اس نے اپنے سگے ماں باپ کے بارے میں کبھی نہیں سوچا تھا۔
She'd never thought about her own birth parents.

اس کا تصور بہت محدود تھا۔
Her perception was very limited.

اس کی کائنات یہی کمرہ تھی جس میں اس نے آنکھ کھولی تھی۔
Her world was this very room where she had opened her eyes.

بچپن میں جو عورت مسکرا کے دیکھتی تھی، اس کی ماں تھی، جو شخص اس کے سر پر ہاتھ رکھتا تھا، اس کا باپ تھا۔
The woman who looked at her smiling when she was a child was her mother; the person putting his hand on her head was her father.

پھر یہ سب مسکراہٹیں اور پُر شفقت ہاتھ سمٹ سمٹا کر سوتیلی ماں، بہنوں اور خونخواری کتے کے وجود میں غائب ہو گئے تھے۔
Then all these smiles and affectionate hands had shriveled up and disappeared into the existence of her stepmother, her sisters, and the bloodthirsty dog.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2022-02-15, 5:52

اس نے ایک دو مرتبہ کمرے کی کھڑکی سے بھی بھاگنے کی کوشش کی تھی، پر جانے اس بیری کتے کو کیسے خبر ہو جاتی، کہ جونہی وہ کھڑکی کی دہلیز پر پیر رکھتی وہ کتا باہر، کھڑکی کے نیچے، زبان نکالے وارننگ کی نظروں سے کھڑا ہانپ رہا ہوتا۔

She tried to flee once or twice through the window of the room, but who knows how that damned [lit. enemy] dog found out, [as soon as] she puts her feet on the windowsill the dog is outside, under the window, panting with its tongue hanging out and warning eyes.

وہ بے بس ہو کر پھر کمرے میں اتر آتی اور گھٹنوں میں سر دے کر رونے لگتی۔

Helplessly, she comes back down into the room and begins to cry with her head in between her knees.

کبھی کبھی کھڑکی سے ایک کنکر آ کے پیروں میں گرتا۔ وہ اپنے میلے دوپٹے کے پلو سے آنکھیں پونخھتی، سینے میں اٹھتے طوفاں کا گلا گھونٹتی، وہ کنکر اٹھاتی، کونے میں پڑے اسی قسم کے بہت سے کنکروں میں رکھ دیتی اور سوچتی: نہیں، میں کھڑکی میں نہیں جاؤں گی۔

Sometimes from the window a pebble falls at her feet. She wipes her eyes with the edge of her dirty dupatta, chokes back the storm rising in her chest, picks up the pebble, puts it in a corner with many others of the same kind of pebble, and thinks: no, I won't go out the window.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-15, 18:06

eskandar wrote:پونخھتی

You mean پونچھتی?

نہ چاہنے کے باوجود وہ دیوار کی اوٹ میں ہو کر کھڑکی سے، سڑک کے پار، سبز درخت کے نیچے کھڑے اس دیوانے کو دیکھتی جو سرخ چادر اوڑھے، ٹکٹکی لگاۓ اس کھڑکی کی طرف دیکھتا مسکراتا رہتا تھا۔
She didn't want to see that insane one hiding behind the wall, standing at the window, across the street, under a green tree, wearing a red mantle, looking and staring through the window, and smiling. :?:

یہ سرخ چادر والا دیوانہ بھی عجیب شخص تھا۔
This insane one with the red mantle was also a strange person:

گنجا سر چھوٹی چھوٹی آنکھیں، چھدری ڈاڑھی، ناٹا قد۔
Bald with small eyes, a thin beard, and a short height.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2022-03-02, 6:36

vijayjohn wrote:You mean پونچھتی?

Oops, yes, thanks!

نہ چاہنے کے باوجود وہ دیوار کی اوٹ میں ہو کر کھڑکی سے، سڑک کے پار، سبز درخت کے نیچے کھڑے اس دیوانے کو دیکھتی جو سرخ چادر اوڑھے، ٹکٹکی لگاۓ اس کھڑکی کی طرف دیکھتا مسکراتا رہتا تھا۔
She didn't want to see that insane one hiding behind the wall, standing at the window, across the street, under a green tree, wearing a red mantle, looking and staring through the window, and smiling. :?:

I would translate this as: Despite not wanting to, hiding behind the wall she looked out the window at the madman standing under a green tree who was wearing a red mantle, staring at the window and smiling.

سبز درخت کے نیچے گولڈ مہر کا بہت بڑا پھول لگتا تھا۔
Under the green tree, there was a large Gold Mohur flower.

اس علاقے کے لمبے تڑنگے لڑکے زلفیں بکھرائے، کمر سے گرتی پتلونیں پہنے، کوکا کولا پیتے ہوئے اسے چھیڑتے، آوازے کستے، پتھر مارتے لیکن یہ دیوانہ بس مسکراتا رہتا تھا۔
The tall, robust boys of the area, with disheveled hair and sagging pants, drinking Coca-Cola, tormented him, jeered and threw stones, but the madman just kept on smiling.

لڑکے خود بھی ہار کے چلے جاتے۔
Defeated, the boys got going.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-03-02, 17:47

eskandar wrote:

I would translate this as: Despite not wanting to, hiding behind the wall she looked out the window at the madman standing under a green tree who was wearing a red mantle, staring at the window and smiling.

Standing across the street under a green tree?

لیکن کبھی وہ بہت تنگ آ جاتا تو زخمی شیر اس زور سے نعرہ لگا تاکہ زمیں و آسمان دہل جاتے اور شرارتی لڑکے اپنی کوکا کولا وہیں چھوڑ کر بھاگ جاتے۔
But sometimes, he would get very annoyed and roar with the strength of a lion until heaven and Earth shook, and the wicked boys would run away leaving their Coca-Cola right there.

پھر وہ دیوانہ فلک شگاف آواز میں گیت گاتا، وہاں کے ننگ دھڑنگ پھولے پیٹ والے بچوں کو جمع کرتا اور کمرے سے بندھے تھیلے سے ریوڑیاں اور مٹھائیاں نکال کے بانٹنے لگتا۔
Then that madman would sing in a sky-rending voice, gather the stark naked children with swollen stomachs there, and start taking out and distributing revdis and sweets from the tied-up sack from his room.

وہ اپنی ہونٹوں کی پیڑیوں پر خشک زبان پھیرتی سوچنے لگتی: یہ خود پتھروں کا شکار ہے، میری مدد
!کیسے کر سکتا ہے
Twisting her dry tongue on the thin crusts of her lips, she'd start thinking: He is the prey even of stones; how can he help me?!

Return to “Hindi/Urdu (हिन्दी/اُردو)”