How long have you had an interest in Afrikaans?

Moderator:Aurinĭa

meisie
How long have you had an interest in Afrikaans?

Postby meisie » 2014-09-01, 22:52

My Afrikaans is nie goed nie, ek het begin 'n paar maande gelede leer.
^ thats my attempt just off my head. i usually have to go back and then think really, really hard about the word order and grammar lol.. im so jelous that julle can converse in Afrikaans so well ! Im wondering when I can get to your level! how long have you guys been studying Afrikaans if you're not native speakers? for me I think i started 3-4 months ago.. and its been a daily obsession ever sense lol

is this how i would translate the title? probably not! lol :P :)
Hoe lank het julle in afrikaans 'n belang stel?

I have a really strong "american" accent (but im canadian lol). 5 months ago i had no ability to roll my Rs, and now i can do it but in a forced and short way! I love the sound of the R in this language i hope i can master it sometime.
eks lief vir die afrikaans taal

Weerwolf

Re: How long have you had an interest in Afrikaans?

Postby Weerwolf » 2014-09-02, 21:42

Hoi,
Om eerlik te wees, het ek Afrikaans nooit in my lewe geleer nie. My Afrikaanskennis het ek vir my Nederlands te danke wat ek aan die universiteit studeer. Om duidelik te wees is nog Afrikaans nog Nederlands my moedertaal, dit is Hongaars – ’n heeltemaal ander wereld ten opsigte van die twee voornoemde tale. Dus die basis in grammatika en woordeskat het vir my Nederlands te danke, maar bowendien luister ek baie na Afrikaanstalige radio en musiek. Jy hoef nie jaloers te wees nie aangesien jy nog ' beginner is, met nog meer oefening sal jy in de komende maande in staat wees om aan die gesprekke deel te kan neem.
(So I've never studied Afrikaans myself, because I'm studying Dutch studies at the university in Hungary and the knowledge of Dutch gives you a pretty good basis in Afrikaans, like vocabulary and grammar. You don't need to be jealous, with some practice you'll be soon able to take part in discussions on this board. My Afrikaans is not that good, I bet natives here can spot some Dutch or Hungarian influence in my writings.)

Ek dink dat jou sin meerdere moontlikhede (tenminste vir my) bied vir die vertaling:
1) Hoe lank het jy al belangstelling vir Afrikaans?
2) Sedert wanneer het jy belangstelling vir Afrikaans?
Uiteraard kan slegs die moedertaalsprekers ons verklaar of die sinne wel juis is of nie.

I have a really strong "american" accent (but im canadian lol). 5 months ago i had no ability to roll my Rs, and now i can do it but in a forced and short way! I love the sound of the R in this language i hope i can master it sometime.

You should really aim to learn that rolled r perfectly, because if that r is not rolled in Afrikaans, it gives away that you are a foreigner from an Anglo-Saxon country. To me this rolled r is the natural r, as it is the only correct pronunciation of this letter in my mother tongue, Hungarian. Your profile says that your nationality is Egyptian, isn't this rolled used in your dialect of Arabic?

Waarom leer jy trouens Afrikaans? Waar kom die liefde vir die Afrikaanse taal vandaan? :D
Soos gesê, ek studeer Nederlands, maar ek moet toegee dat ek die uitspraak van Afrikaans mooier vind as die Nederlandse uitspraak.
In het middelpunt staan: [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]nl-BE[/flag] [flag=]af[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag] [flag=]sr[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag]
Heel hartelijk bedankt voor elke hulp!
Ich bin für jede Verbesserung dankbar.

Минден кездет нехез.

meisie

Postby meisie » 2014-09-05, 3:02

Weerwolf wrote:ek studeer Nederlands, maar ek moet toegee dat ek die uitspraak van Afrikaans mooier vind as die Nederlandse uitspraak.

Ja! ek saamstem. ek dink hierdie taal is baie mooi! written, spoken, its all so gorgeous to me

ek nie weet hoekom ek het in hierdie taal 'n belangstelling nie. ek het uitvind dit terwyl ek was soek vir 'n nuwe taal om te leer.

I learned that it was the easiest language to learn from English, and i just fell in love soo quickly! its such a fun language, the way words are just combined words, "uitspraak" "toegee" "hierdie" "hoekom" lol i love it! and the double negatives are a nice litle feature to me.
I know that I have to master the R sound, and I really want to! thats my favourite part of hearing afrikaans. it makes it sound so fantastical and out of this world...! haha
I'm teaching myself with nothing but whats freely available on the internet. I have one afrikaaner texting buddy and i am able to practice with him every once and a while, but mainly im studying vocabulary on Memrise & anki, and trying to find free easy childrens storys to read online :)

this language is so strange to me, and probably of no practical use in my life, but just the chance to visit S.A and be comfortable speaking a local language, just the chance to partake in conversations online, and to be able to read new books in a different language, its all worth it to me.

I think I would not have gotten so far along in any other language

woon jy in hongarye? thats cool! i had grown up with a hongarian family-friend for most of my childhood :) :D
eks lief vir die afrikaans taal

Weerwolf

Postby Weerwolf » 2014-09-05, 8:56

meisie wrote:I'm teaching myself with nothing but whats freely available on the internet. I have one afrikaaner texting buddy and i am able to practice with him every once and a while, but mainly im studying vocabulary on Memrise & anki, and trying to find free easy childrens storys to read online :)

On certain sites you can get access for free to language books like Teach Yourself Afrikaans, and Colloquial Afrikaans. :wink: It's ideal for self-study because you can also get the audiofiles for these books.

this language is so strange to me, and probably of no practical use in my life, but just the chance to visit S.A and be comfortable speaking a local language, just the chance to partake in conversations online, and to be able to read new books in a different language, its all worth it to me.

I think I would not have gotten so far along in any other language

Learning a new language helps to keep your mind fit, and if it brings you joy, then you should really go for it. Being a speaker of English yourself, Afrikaans looks to be an easy language to learn, much easer than say if you were to learn my mother tongue Hungarian. :)

woon jy in hongarye? thats cool! i had grown up with a hongarian family-friend for most of my childhood :) :D

That's nice to hear, maybe you picked up some Hungarian phrases? :)
Yes, I live in Hungary, I'm Hungarian.
In het middelpunt staan: [flag=]nl[/flag] [flag=]nl-BE[/flag] [flag=]af[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag][flag=]hr[/flag] [flag=]sr[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag]
Heel hartelijk bedankt voor elke hulp!
Ich bin für jede Verbesserung dankbar.

Минден кездет нехез.

Bittereinder
Country:ZASouth Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Postby Bittereinder » 2014-09-06, 7:27

Welcome/Welkom Meisie

Glad to see someone interested in Afrikaans. I myself speak Afrikaans as a mother tongue. I was raised in a bilingual family. During social gatherings we would switch between Afrikaans and English quite regularly. It didn't feel odd in any way, but looking back from a broader perspective I look back at it as a time of exposure where I could experience both languages in their primal form. Since my early childhood I've weighed Afrikaans and English against each other and I've concluded since then that even if I were born in an English family, I would still have taken great interest in Afrikaans. It still has words and expressions derived from Dutch, German and minutely French, but its grammar is simple enough to make it a "fluid" language.
Openbaring 21:6
"Verder sê Hy vir my: Dit het klaar gebeur. Ek is die Alfa en die Omega, die Begin en die Einde. Aan elkeen wat dors het, sal Ek te drinke gee uit die fontein met die water van die lewe, verniet. "

Nikita5

Postby Nikita5 » 2017-08-07, 21:12

Ek's ook bly om te sien dat daar anderstalige persone is wat belangstel in die leer van Afrikaans. (I'm glad that speakers of other languages are also interested to learn the language.)

Afrikaans is the most beautiful language in the world and the easiest to learn. Afrikaans is die mooiste taal in die wereld en die maklikste om te leer!
Woorde in Afrikaans en Engels - maar word verskillend uitgespreek.

sit x sit (word dieselfde uitgespreek)
water x water
pen x pen
agent x agent
agenda x agenda
alarm x alarm
aroma x aroma
bank x bank
ballerina x ballerina
help x help
in x in
by x by

and many, many more!

Feel free to ask and we're happy to help!
Voel vry om te vra en ons sal meer as gelukkig wees om te help!

Eireannach

Postby Eireannach » 2022-02-07, 9:52

I started having an interest in Afrikaans, roughly 10ish years ago, when I was a child.

This was due to playing on a Dutch server on a game and meeting an Afrikaner who I befriended, I found it interesting that a guy in Africa could speak to the Dutch people with very little problem despite the languages being different.

So it kickstarted my interest!

I am considering adding it to my learning list, just for the nostalgia :)
Learning Spanish @ Lingua Fonica

Return to “Afrikaans”