native Afrikaans speakers

Moderator:Aurinĭa

hindupridemn
native Afrikaans speakers

Postby hindupridemn » 2011-07-26, 3:50

I am looking for native Afrikaans speakers to help me learn Afrikaans. Let's start with pronunciation, then vocab, then grammar, then voice chat. I have no experience with Afrikaans.

xkuehn
Country:ZASouth Africa (Suid-Afrika / uMzantsi Afrika / South Africa)

Re: native Afrikaans speakers

Postby xkuehn » 2011-07-26, 9:12

I can help you but I don't have Skype and to be honest, I don't think I really have the bandwidth available for voice chat. I think it'd be best to post sound clips on the forum anyway, since then everyone can listen to it. We'll cross that line when we get to it.

Afrikaans spelling is mostly phonetic but the rules are a little complicated in some places. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrikaans#Orthography will get you started. I can help you with specific points as they come up. (For example, the suffixes -djie and -tjie are pronounced as if they were written -kie.)

I personally find that I can't really learn vocabulary without any grammar. You need to use sentences or it won't stick.

Your basic sentence is Subject-Verb-Object.

Articles: 'n (a/an) -- pronounced as a schwa, die (the)

A few pronouns:
ek (I), jy (you -- singular), hy (he), sy (she), dit (it) -- nominative
my (my/me), jou (your/you -- singular), sy/hom (his/him), haar (her/her), sy/hom (its/it) -- genitive/others

A few verbs:
man (man/husband), vrou (woman/wife), sit (sit), staan (stand), kom (come), eet (eat), het (have), gaan (go), kos (food), is (is)

A few nouns:
hond (dog), kar (car), kat (cat), huis (house)

Prepositions:
toe (to/when), in (in), op (on), by (at/with)

Some sentences:
Die hond eet sy kos. (The dog eats its food.)
Die man sit. (The man is sitting.)
Ek gaan huis toe. (I am going home.)
Ek het 'n hond. (I have a dog.)
Ek het hom. (I have it/him.)
Ek staan by jou. (I am standing by you.)
Dit is my kat. (It is my cat.)

As you can see, verbs never conjugate based on person.

The possessive is se and it works like Japanese or English 's. We also have van (of/from) but it's used less in this sense.

Die hond se poot is seer. (The dog's paw hurts.) (poot = foot/paw for any animal, seer = painful)

Se can also be a possessive for an entire sentence. It can stand at the beginning and refer to the previous like so:

Se voet! (To hell with that!) (voet = foot, the closest thing in English is my foot)

Now you should first have a look at http://sites.google.com/site/unilangstuff/. (Since you seem to have posted without reading the sticky. :spank: )
Native: [flag]af[/flag][flag]en[/flag]. Intermediate: [flag]de[/flag][flag]nl[/flag]. Beginner: [flag]ja[/flag][flag]st[/flag].
Google Translate wrote:And Google Translator, Babel Fish translation costs excretion.

Return to “Afrikaans”