the word for 'stan'

Moderator:Johanna

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator
the word for 'stan'

Postby Multiturquoise » 2018-08-18, 10:43

Is there any Swedish definition for the English word 'stan' meaning an obsessive fan of some celeb? I need the noun (male and female variants) and the verb forms. I couldn't find it anywhere, including the biggest dictionary of Swedish.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Jurgen Wullenwever

Re: the word for 'stan'

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2018-08-19, 17:50

Perhaps that English word is very new and limited in its use. I have never encountered it, and it is not in my old printed dictionaries either.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-19, 18:20

Yes, it's very new and very informal. It's portmanteau of the English words "stalker" and "fan," and means to be such an avid fan of your favorite celebrity/music/film/etc you are seen as "obsessed." Stanning is associated very strongly with posting tons of stuff about one's obsession on social media. Although the word is derived from two nouns, it's almost always used as verb: "I stan Cardi B" or "I'm stanning for the new Mulan live action film."

It's also used hyperbolically, sarcastically or ironically to show approval of something or someone in general: "I just tried pizza with pineapple on it and now I'm totally stanning for it. Fight me, Gordon Ramsey."

Since it's so new and so prevalent on social media, chances are that speakers of other languages will just use the English term rather than try to coin something new.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2018-08-19, 19:22

ceid donn wrote:It's portmanteau of the English words "stalker" and "fan,"

Both of those have been taken unchanged into Swedish.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-08-19, 20:38

ceid donn wrote:Yes, it's very new and very informal. It's portmanteau of the English words "stalker" and "fan," and means to be such an avid fan of your favorite celebrity/music/film/etc you are seen as "obsessed."

I always thought it came from the Eminem song Stan (about an obsessive fan called Stan)...

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-08-19, 21:46

Saim wrote:
ceid donn wrote:Yes, it's very new and very informal. It's portmanteau of the English words "stalker" and "fan," and means to be such an avid fan of your favorite celebrity/music/film/etc you are seen as "obsessed."

I always thought it came from the Eminem song Stan (about an obsessive fan called Stan)...

Me too. :) :)
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”