Swedish Study Group

Moderator:Johanna

dEhiN
Re: Swedish Study Group

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-15, 15:57

Ja, visst!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-15, 16:14

OK, då ska vi börja lära oss lite svenska. Vi ses här igen nästa vika! :?: :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-07-16, 19:20

vijayjohn wrote:I wonder, is Swedish the only Scandinavian language that uses a cognate of sätt in the sense of 'way' or 'manner'? Is it related to set?

You mean the verb? That would make the most sense to me. "Something which is set (down)" > "manners, customs" > "way". But I don't have a Swedish etymological dictionary handy.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-16, 20:58

Well, according to Wiktionary, sätt is the imperative of the verb sätta which comes from the PGmc satjaną of which English set is a descendant. The People's Dictionary lists the nominal meanings of sätt as 'way, manner' and the verbal ones as 'place, put, set, plant, compose'.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-16, 21:45

Yes, but I want to know the etymology of the noun sätt in Swedish, i.e. does it have a different etymology from the verb, and if so, does it have any cognates in any other Scandinavian languages? What are those cognates if they exist? It's also clear to me that the verb does have cognates in other Scandinavian languages (and in English).

h34

Postby h34 » 2018-07-17, 6:24

I think there is a cognate in Danish. Even though the closest Danish equivalent to sätt (used as a noun) seems to be måde, you can say sæt og vis ('in a way', 'to an extent', Swedish sätt och vis), although AFAIK på en måde is used much more often.
vijayjohn wrote:OK, då ska vi börja lära oss lite svenska. Vi ses här igen nästa vika! :?: :)

Menar du "nästa vecka"? "Vika" låter isländskt. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-18, 4:04

h34 wrote:I think there is a cognate in Danish. Even though the closest Danish equivalent to sätt (used as a noun) seems to be måde, you can say sæt og vis ('in a way', 'to an extent', Swedish sätt och vis), although AFAIK på en måde is used much more often.

Is sæt a noun in Danish? Wiktionary seems to say it's just the imperative of sætte.
vijayjohn wrote:OK, då ska vi börja lära oss lite svenska. Vi ses här igen nästa vika! :?: :)

Menar du "nästa vecka"? "Vika" låter isländskt. :)

Ja, tack!

h34

Postby h34 » 2018-07-18, 5:27

vijayjohn wrote: Is sæt a noun in Danish? Wiktionary seems to say it's just the imperative of sætte.

Yes, in this context it is a noun meaning 'manner', 'way' etc, as Swedish sätt, but it's rarely used in Danish. It is listed on ordnet.dk (meaning 4).

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-07-19, 18:13

Hey all, I'm going to duck out of this group. I don't have the time to do one chapter a week, and since there are a few of us in the group, I don't want to go at a slower pace just for my sake.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-09, 2:29

Well...actually, no one has done anything yet, but maybe we can try going through Chapter 1 by August 13 instead? Or even August 20. If anybody's still interested. :para:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-09, 8:00

vijayjohn wrote:Well...actually, no one has done anything yet, but maybe we can try going through Chapter 1 by August 13 instead? Or even August 20. If anybody's still interested. :para:

That’s not entirely correct. I finished the text book I was using, and I try to watch at least one short video per day, to practice the listening. And I also try to read some short articles online. :yep:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-09, 9:49

Still difficult to understand it all. Some words and sentences I can’t even recognise them. I think I understand 40% or 50%, after listening to it twice.

https://youtu.be/qiw9F2BWxGE

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-13, 8:22

Sorry, I haven't actually seen the video yet, but I just wanted to ask: Is you or anyone else still interested in trying to go through the first chapter of Colloquial Swedish? (Or have you already done that and/or more? :hmm:).

Tack! :)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-13, 9:06

vijayjohn wrote:Sorry, I haven't actually seen the video yet, but I just wanted to ask: Is you or anyone else still interested in trying to go through the first chapter of Colloquial Swedish? (Or have you already done that and/or more? :hmm:).

Tack! :)

Don’t worry, you don’t have to see the videos. I am putting a lot of videos this summer in a lot of threads, I don’t know really why :hmm:

I have already read the first chapter of that book, though that was almost at the beginning of the summer. I thought Devin was interested in reading the chapter, though I am not sure :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-13, 15:00

You mean dEhiN? I'm sure he was at first, but as I understand it, he decided not to be a part of this study group for now because he'd get too overwhelmed otherwise. I think he may rejoin this study group later when he has more time and/or feels like he can handle it. I still am interested, though, and I'm actually impressed by how you've been watching so many videos! That's just one of those things I love about YouTube. :D I watched a little bit of the video you posted here, but I don't think I managed to make out much off the top of my head. :lol: I'll probably watch it again later and try to make more sense of it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-15, 6:16

Tried to go through the first chapter of the book and the video again, but still don't get much of the video :P

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-15, 10:57

vijayjohn wrote:Tried to go through the first chapter of the book and the video again, but still don't get much of the video :P

Yeah, the problem with listening understanding, it's what put me off the first time I started learning Swedish. But well, it was the same for me with English and Arabic :roll: So now, I just try to pick up the main words of each sentence, and the general meaning, or any meaning at all :hmm: I hope suppose that at the end one get used to how they pronounce the sounds :hmm:

Usually, the Swedish videos I use to post here or in my TAC, are the ones that I watched and at least I understand 40% of what they're talking about. Of course, that doesn't happen to me with all Swedish videos (there also some of them I don't understand anything :roll: ).

But now, that I have the basis, I don't want to give it up. I would like to be able to understand some of it :hmm:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-15, 12:35

I'm hoping that listening to the audio for Colloquial while going through more of it will help me get used to how Swedish is pronounced, and then after doing a few more chapters of this book, that video will seem much less daunting. :)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-15, 12:42

I am sure of it :yep:

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2018-08-22, 23:09

Antea wrote:Still difficult to understand it all. Some words and sentences I can’t even recognise them. I think I understand 40% or 50%, after listening to it twice.

https://youtu.be/qiw9F2BWxGE

OK, I only listened for the first couple of minutes, but even I had trouble to understand them, despite this nominally being Standard Swedish. They speak extremely fast and sound a bit drunk at times.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”