Just joined

Moderator:Johanna

Devonian
Just joined

Postby Devonian » 2016-12-04, 14:43

Hi just joined from Devon in England.

Been looking for ages for a forum like this to improve my written Swedish, simply can't believe I've found one at last !

Lived in Gothenburg and Stockholm in the Eighties for a couple of years but had forgotten a lot, so for the past year or so I've been watching loads of old Swedish TV programmes, Pappa's Flickor for example is great, which has helped the spoken word a great deal. Also finding that Swedish humour seems very close to English which is enjoyable though hard to follow when spoken really fast....

So how best to start ? Also how to alter the English keyboard to Swedish ?

Jag onskar att blir battre naturaligtvis so hur skulle man borja ?

Helt snygg - or something like that :lol:

David

Glad to help anyone with their English/English on occasion....:wink:

Seppo

Re: Just joined

Postby Seppo » 2016-12-06, 18:15

Devonian wrote:Also how to alter the English keyboard to Swedish ?

It depends upon operating system you utilize. On Microsoft ® Windows 7™ it usually succeeds by performing the following sequence of elementary actions:

1. Left click Start button situated on taskbar, choose Control Panel, find Region and Language sign and left click it, choose Keyboards and Languages tab, left click Change Keyboards... , choose General tab, left click Add. A list of avaliable languages appears.

2. Move slide bar downward the list until Swedish (Sweden) appears, left click plus sign in order to unfold the list, choose Keyboard, left click plus sign again, choose Swedish

3. Left click Ok Button

4. Choose Advanced Key Settings tab. A dialog window appears, here you can set up key sequences for switching input language and keyboard layout. I prefer Left Alt + Shift for switching input language.

5. Left click Ok button.

6. Choose Language Bar tab. Choose Show text labels on the language bar option. Check Language Bar : Docked in the taskbar radio button. Left click Ok.

7. Now you can see language sign on taskbar. Press Left Alt + Shift for switching to Swedish. Press Left Alt + Shift again for switching back to English.

If you use Linux, it depends on distribution. Sometimes that can be a bit sophisticated.

Devonian

Postby Devonian » 2016-12-06, 19:56

Thanks a lot for the info Seppo, come on your English is excellent ! :D

I used to have Win 7 but since upgraded to 10 which is proving a problem as I used to use Alt 134, 132 and 153 for å, ä and ö, so I've just uploaded Lexibar which gets me by....

http://www.lexicool.com/lexibar_swedish ... acters.asp

The other thing is I use Dragon Speech 13 a lot which is a real time saver so wondering whether it might be easier to buy the Swedish version....?

Really can't wait to get back into Swedish again !

Seppo

Postby Seppo » 2016-12-07, 14:56

I am not very familiar with Microsoft ® Windows 10™ but I suppose it is very similar to the eighth one which I have on my laptop. In order to gain immediate access to language settings, press R key while holding Win key. Dialog window Run shows immediately up. Type the following command in the Open bar:

control /name microsoft.language

and press Enter. If succeeded, Language window appears. Here you can add or remove languages in the similar manner as on the seventh. After having added language, left click Advanced Settings link on the left side of the window. Section Switching Input Methods allows you to set up key shortcuts for switching input language :)

Devonian

Postby Devonian » 2016-12-07, 18:15

...and press Enter. If succeeded, Language window appears. Here you can add or remove languages in the similar manner as on the seventh. After having added language, left click Advanced Settings link on the left side of the window. Section Switching Input Methods allows you to set up key shortcuts for switching input language :)

Thanks. Managed to find ÅåÄäÖö ok but can't find the "at" symbol for sending emails and the question mark.... :)

Devonian

Postby Devonian » 2016-12-07, 19:54

Ok got it, bit too difficult to write in Swedish.

Not sure what Win 8 has but on Win 10 bottom right on bar, it should say "ENG" which when clicked on re-appears as SWE.

The original symbols on the English board of.... : @ { ....then become.... Ö Ä Å.

However all the 1 to 0 numbered keys are different whilst in the Swedish keyboard, though there might be more.

Think that's right... :)

Devonian

Postby Devonian » 2016-12-07, 20:39

On a different topic is there anywhere where one can have one to one conversations in Swedish ?

Seppo

Postby Seppo » 2016-12-08, 17:41

Devonian wrote:Not sure what Win 8 has but on Win 10 bottom right on bar, it should say "ENG" which when clicked on re-appears as SWE.

It is not neccessary to click this sign every time you want to change the input language. Try shortcuts :) Left Alt + Shift or Win + Spacebar. The latter one works by default on the eighth.

Devonian wrote:However all the 1 to 0 numbered keys are different whilst in the Swedish keyboard, though there might be more.

In fact, that's true. But one can easily purchase a keyboard, supplied both with English and Swedish layouts.

Devonian wrote:On a different topic is there anywhere where one can have one to one conversations in Swedish ?

One can use Personal Messages for this purpose, I think.

Devonian

Postby Devonian » 2016-12-08, 18:34

Many thanks :)

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”