Why is Swedish also spoken in Finland?

Moderator:Johanna

Woods
Re: Why is Swedish also spoken in Finland?

Postby Woods » 2017-01-08, 20:32

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:along with a tendency to treat the words as particles

What does that mean?

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:the language is still their artificial newspeak

Why don’t you change it back to what it was supposed to be?

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:such as when Ethnologue suggested defining some dialects in Sweden as languages a few years ago, and the Swedes threatened to stop funding them if that happened.)

I don’t really get the point. What’s the purpose? On one hand, they allow a number or refugees equal to one fifth of the population of the country to come in and say “you don’t even have to learn the language, it’s okay to speak English,” on the other they kill their own dialects.

Finding more Swedish (and Finnish, and other kinds of dialects native to the land of Sweden) is very beneficial to the culture of the country, not the other way around.

France has a similar attitude toward its dialects. It’s retarded.

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:Even back in the 1600s, the government tried to stamp out Finnish in western Sweden. It did survive somewhere in rural Värmland at the Norwegian border until after 1900, but in most places it was gone long before then.

Well, hopefully things will change. But I don’t get why we should exterminate our culture and then try to revive it, rather than doing the most we can to keep it.

Varislintu wrote:It must be, because Swedish was the language of government (and culture) for a long time, and its position has been slowly dismantled since then, whereas Finnish never enjoyed such a privileged position in Sweden.

That’s really interesting. Indeed my knowledge of Finnish history is null. Can you say more?

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2017-01-10, 16:40

Woods wrote:
Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:along with a tendency to treat the words as particles

What does that mean?

That they do not change the form of the word according to the usual grammar, but only uses one unchanging form.
mycken/mycka/mycket/myckna > mycket
mången/många/månget/många > många

And their avoidance of article on language names.
svenskan/franskan/latinet > svenska/franska/latin

And their avoidance of normal caseform in compounds.
saga + tid = sagotid/sagetid > sagatid
massa + tillverkning = massetillverkning > massatillverkning

Woods wrote:
Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:the language is still their artificial newspeak

Why don’t you change it back to what it was supposed to be?

I have made some efforts in that direction in another thread on here. ("dialektbaserad svenska")

Woods wrote:
Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:such as when Ethnologue suggested defining some dialects in Sweden as languages a few years ago, and the Swedes threatened to stop funding them if that happened.)

I don’t really get the point. What’s the purpose? On one hand, they allow a number or refugees equal to one fifth of the population of the country to come in and say “you don’t even have to learn the language, it’s okay to speak English,” on the other they kill their own dialects.

They might just be wicked ...
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

isusbellus

Postby isusbellus » 2017-01-16, 20:42

I am a Swedish speaking Finn. I have no relatives from Sweden at all.
I went to a Swedish speaking school up til University of applied sciences. I have been shy and introverted with not a lot of friends so my Finnish is not the best. And I feel ashamed of it. Even joking that I should move to Sweden. But I met last year supportive Finns who did not speak Swedish but was envious that I could speak both Finnish & English. Now I feel positive to start learning Finnish again and other languages. Speaking many languages in work places is a huge advantage.

I lived in a town in Österbotten/pohjanmaa couple of years where 90% spoke Swedish. Like the Finnish speakers where minority, even they where fluent in Swedish.
Before I lived in Esbo/Espoo and you can hear Swedish in the streets. Esbo have a old history of swedish speaking settlement.
[flag=]sv[/flag] Native [flag=]fi[/flag] B1 [flag=]et[/flag] A1 [flag=]en[/flag] Depends, my pronunciation is bad

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”