Svenskt uttal / Swedish pronunciation

Moderator:Johanna

Jurgen Wullenwever
Re: Swedish r

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2014-06-14, 19:48

Johanna wrote:
Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:
Johanna wrote: judging from what I've heard today, young people in Örebro seem to have that 'TV accent'...

Where did you hear what, more precisely?

One of those things at Arbetsförmedlingen, we watched some job interviews that a guy who lives there had recorded for educational purposes, and it was about a job in a shop, so it wasn't the most highly educated people who applied for it.

Sure the selection of people wasn't too big, but out of the bunch, those under 30 and from the area all spoke a very neutral Standard Swedish. I could never have guessed where they were from if they hadn't said it.

I heard my nephews, living in Örebro, today, 11 and 7 years old, and I believe that they do not even have thick l, but I am not certain. Wickedness and decay apparently roams free in the land, and the righteous must stand firm against evil and depravity. :evil:
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

TeneReef

Re: Swedish Pronunciation [formerly 'Swedish r']

Postby TeneReef » 2014-06-15, 15:09

Örnsköldsvik and Sundsvall are stressed on the final syllable or not? :hmm:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Grytolle

Postby Grytolle » 2014-06-15, 18:11

TeneReef wrote:Örnsköldsvik and Sundsvall are stressed on the final syllable or not? :hmm:

Örnsköldsvik has stress on vik and Sundsvall has whatever you call the accent typical of compounds :)

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2014-06-15, 19:20

Grytolle wrote:
TeneReef wrote:Örnsköldsvik and Sundsvall are stressed on the final syllable or not? :hmm:

Örnsköldsvik has stress on vik and Sundsvall has whatever you call the accent typical of compounds :)

Actually, the older, now abandoned, stress on Sundsvall was on the last syllable, similar to the way Hudiksvall still is pronounced. But nowadays Sundsvall has ordinary grave accent/two-syllable accent.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-06-16, 21:53

admin

I split off the OT discussion, it can now be found here: http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=43233

In the future, I think it would be best if you (general you) kept to correcting Swedish, and not English. I know that you just want to help, but it's really easy to derail the thread, and this is after all the Swedish forum, not the English one.

But do feel free to contact each other via PM about anything :)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2014-06-17, 4:35

My apologies Johanna! I guess i tend to follow the flow of the thread, but I will stay on-topic from now on!
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-07-01, 19:00

On another forum, a Swedish guy said Smurfarna and Smurferna had different tones.

Why is that?

Is it because Smurferna is affected by -er ethnic plural rule*?

---
The one that says -er plurals of ethnicities have accent 1 (akut):
britter, goter, khmerer...
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति

alexu0103

Postby alexu0103 » 2014-11-18, 20:34

For all the pronounciations questions, I can really just encourage you to have a look at www.forvo.com
This website is a database of native speakers pronouncing words (by request) in their native language. All recordings are available for everyone !
And if a word doesn't exist, you can obviously request it :)
Fluent in : Image Image Image
Learning : Image Image
Beginner in French ? Read some easy texts in French to exercise your reading and comprehension skills : Petites histoires au présent, facile à lire

Rokas

Postby Rokas » 2014-11-18, 23:19

Does anyone know of a good (preferably on-line) resource on how to pronounce names of nationalities in Swedish?

hashi

Postby hashi » 2014-11-18, 23:48

Rokas wrote:Does anyone know of a good (preferably on-line) resource on how to pronounce names of nationalities in Swedish?

forvo.com
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Rokas

Postby Rokas » 2014-11-19, 12:02

Thanks.

Tenebrarum

Re: Svenskt uttal / Swedish pronunciation

Postby Tenebrarum » 2015-01-02, 6:11

I've been translating a Swedish novel (through its English edition), and I've decided to provide my readers with pronunciation cues of the Swedish proper nouns littered throughout the book.

The one thing I find surprising is the treatment of intervocalic stops. In most cases they're aspirated, yet in certain positions, most notably in streetnames (-gatan), I can hear no aspiration. Is there any rule governing this? I've been googling but so far to no avail.

Vietnamese has a t/th and a k/kh contrast, so a difference in aspiration would show in the cue. I want to approximate the original Swedish pronunciation as closely as possible, so any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

jahimees

Postby jahimees » 2015-01-02, 13:38

Here you are :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please, correct my mistakes whenever it's possible.
Image native
Image advanced
Image advanced
Image intermediate

razlem

Postby razlem » 2015-01-04, 7:27

Any significant distinctions between de/det/dig?
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-01-04, 8:24

razlem wrote:Any significant distinctions between de/det/dig?

de – /dɔm/
det – /deː/ or /dɛː/
dig – /dɛj/

Edit: It may look weird that de is pronounced that way, but it used to be more logical, once upon a time :) What happened was that nominative and oblique merged for this pronoun and only the oblique form was left, but the written language still makes this distinction in neutral to high registers.

Then to complicate things further, the nominative/oblique form used in spoken Standard Swedish isn't identical to the oblique one we use when we write (dem), but considering all the dialects and accents we've got, there's a long tradition of using compromises rather than the most wide-spread forms in the written language.

In colloquial registers it's OK to write dom. And dej instead of dig for that matter.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-01-06, 16:42

Do they still use de [di:] in Scania? :hmm:
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-01-06, 19:10

TeneReef wrote:Do they still use de [di:] in Scania? :hmm:

It's used in many genuine dialects, but not in any version of Standard Swedish as far as I know.

If there is anyone who speaks regional standard Swedish and still uses it, that person is definitely older than 50, probably even 60.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2015-01-07, 10:08

jahimees wrote:Here you are :)

Many thanks. So basically voiceless stops are not aspirated after a vowel and when in cluster?
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-01-07, 11:31

Tenebrarum wrote:So basically voiceless stops are not aspirated after a vowel and when in cluster?

From my understanding of that explanation, they're not aspirated after s (but they definitely are in other clusters), and after the stressed vowel of a polysyllabic word.

But about that s thing, I'm pretty sure it's after any sibilant really.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-01-08, 20:22

विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”