what about a common Mainland Scandinavian language?

Moderator:Johanna

Magnus Petersson
what about a common Mainland Scandinavian language?

Postby Magnus Petersson » 2013-06-02, 17:00

The 3 mainland Scandinavian languages could be regarded as dialects of the same language if it wasnt for a few different words and spellings. Would it be possible to make an artificial written common Mainland Scandinavian language, by combining elements from all 3 of them? And removing the Swedish ä and ö, and replace them with the common Scandinavian æ and ø. Here is a random article from Norwegian Aftenposten:

http://www.aftenposten.no/kultur/Endeli ... 18405.html

In a common Scandinavian language, the first sentences of this article would look something like this I think:

"De kom från Japan og Romsås. Og sto gladeligen i kø i regnvejret før att få med sig åpningen på den stora Munch-utstællningen.

Endelig kaos
- Hærligt, det er detta vi lengter etter, kommenterar Helena Lundek i billjettsalget og ser udover trængseln vid inngången.

- Men många drar nog på Nasjonalgalleriet først, så det blir sækert ænnu flere utover ettermiddagen, spår hun. Og ganska riktig var køerna i sentrum betydelig længre æn på Tøyen tidigt på dagen."

In this text translated into artificial "Mainland Scandinavian", you can find elements of both Swedish, Danish and Norwegian equally.

Since the Scandinavian languages does not have a common topic on this forum, I posted this in the Swedish section (because thats the biggest Scandinavian language)

Speakers of Standard German (Hochdeutsch) and Swiss German (Schweizerdeutsch) lives in 2 different countries and speaks in a different way, but writes in the same way and has officially the same language.

Jurgen Wullenwever

Re: what about a common Mainland Scandinavian language?

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2013-06-02, 17:27

Either one of the four current standards could be used all over Scandinavia. It is not as if any one of these is really historically correct anyway. The main obstacle is to introduce the others' different words in the rest of the standards and then the languages are more or less the same.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet, och har gett upp mejeriprodukter.)

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”