Any good dictionary?

Moderator: Johanna

Mac of BIOnighT

Any good dictionary?

Postby Mac of BIOnighT » 2012-10-06, 22:32

Hello everybody, first post here.

I got interested in Swedish a few months ago, when I discovered Roger Pontare's music, and I decided to learn at least a little bit of it.

I've bought a concise grammar (it's a thin book, but it's giving me huge nightmares, I didn't think this language was so complicated) and an abridged dictionary. Unfortunately, the latter is really bad for my purposes. What I need is

1 - a dictionary that lists most variations/declensions of words, so if I look up the word "XYZ" it says, "XYZ: past form of YZX," for example.

2 - I need it to be English/Swedish.

3 - Finally, I really need it to give phonetic transcriptions of the Swedish words

Is any of you aware of a dictionary with the above characteristics?

Thank you for your help :)

Jurgen Wullenwever

Re: Any good dictionary?

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-10-07, 9:09

Perhaps you need several dictionaries, instead of just one.

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:3 - Finally, I really need it to give phonetic transcriptions of the Swedish words

There are two relatively recent IPA-dictionaries for Swedish:
-Norstedts svenska uttalslexikon (1997)
-Svenska språknämndens uttalsordbok (2003)
Of course these do not show how ordinary people actually speak, but they might give some approximate idea, although they are heavily biased towards official speech.

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:2 - I need it to be English/Swedish.

There is probably a large number of such dictionaries, although I fear that most of them are written for Swedes to learn English, and not the other way around, but I might be wrong.

Mac of BIOnighT wrote:1 - a dictionary that lists most variations/declensions of words, so if I look up the word "XYZ" it says, "XYZ: past form of YZX," for example.

Are such dictionaries in existence?

I talked about printed books above. Online resources might be readily available, if you try to find them.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet.)

Mac of BIOnighT

Re: Any good dictionary?

Postby Mac of BIOnighT » 2012-10-07, 18:21

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:Perhaps you need several dictionaries, instead of just one.

That's what I was afraid of :cry:

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:There are two relatively recent IPA-dictionaries for Swedish:
-Norstedts svenska uttalslexikon (1997)
-Svenska språknämndens uttalsordbok (2003)
Of course these do not show how ordinary people actually speak, but they might give some approximate idea, although they are heavily biased towards official speech.

I didn't know any such book even existed, so that's a very useful piece of information, thanks :) They would suffice for now (they would have to, anyway), as right now I don't have the slightest idea how to pronounce 90% of the words.

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:There is probably a large number of such dictionaries, although I fear that most of them are written for Swedes to learn English, and not the other way around, but I might be wrong.

From what I've seen so far, I'm afraid you may be right...

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:
Mac of BIOnighT wrote:1 - a dictionary that lists most variations/declensions of words, so if I look up the word "XYZ" it says, "XYZ: past form of YZX," for example.

Are such dictionaries in existence?

For English, they are, I'm just not sure they are when it comes to Swedish...

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:I talked about printed books above. Online resources might be readily available, if you try to find them.

I just don't feel comfortable with online stuff, I'm old fashioned like that ;-) Gimme a plain, printed old book any time ;-)

Thank you very much for information and advice!

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”