Pronunciation of FÖR ATT JAG

Moderator: Johanna

Dingbats

Re: Pronunciation of FÖR ATT JAG

Postby Dingbats » 2012-10-07, 9:03

tulio_bathory wrote:I'd like to know what is the pronunciation for FÖR ATT JAG in normal speed with IPA? In the movie I'm watching I think I'm listening to: [fɘtʃjɑ] and sometimes [føtʃjɑ], could you guys please give me the correct form?

There's no "correct" form, it could turn out in many ways. If that's what you're hearing, then so be it. I don't think [tʃ] is really that common as a realization of /tj/ in that context, though. If I were to transcribe how I'd expect a quick pronunciation of för att jag to be most of the time, I'd put something like [ˈfɐtja], although the quality of the first vowel could vary a lot.

Grytolle

Postby Grytolle » 2012-10-07, 12:08

[fat], or with the vowel that Dingbats used in his transcription. The quality doesn't really matter.

"fatt an vill" because he wants to
"fatt on vill" because she wants to
"fattom vill" because they want to
"fatt alla vill de" because everyone wants it
etc

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » 2012-10-07, 12:51

tulio_bathory wrote:Wow, thank you very much, you just answered another question, I was going to ask if FÖR ATT DE is pronounced as "fadom" or "fatom" but you already gave me the answer. Thank you very much!

Generally, if there's a cluster with one voiceless and one voiced consonant, the voiceless one "wins" when simplifying it.

Dingbats

Postby Dingbats » 2012-10-07, 15:52

tulio_bathory wrote:Just to confirm, a final question, while I was watching the movie, I noticed that most of the time the R in the verbs weren't pronounced, like: jag öpnar -> ja öpna. Am I right or I just misheard it?

Depending on dialect, it's often weakly pronounced. In isolation or utterance-finally, the /r/ is almost always there, so in those cases if you didn't hear it, you probably misheard. But especially when followed by another consonant, the /r/ of the present tense may elide altogether. This often happens also before inte. Thus the present and past tense of most regular verbs are often indistinguishable except from context: jag öppnar/öppnade inte burken -> jag öppnante burken.

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”