Why so many Ukrainians learning Swedish?

Moderator: Johanna

lyzazel

Why so many Ukrainians learning Swedish?

Postby lyzazel » 2012-05-30, 12:34

I am not Ukrainian but I have somehow noticed that there seems to be a disproportionate number of Ukrainians trying to learn Swedish. I wonder if this impression of mine is wrong, and if not, if there is a reason for that?
Check out my project with interlinear translations (or, you could say, 'subtitled books') at Interlinear Books

letgo

Re: Why so many Ukrainians learning Swedish?

Postby letgo » 2012-05-30, 12:36

Flag colours maybe :lol: [flag]uk[/flag][flag]sv[/flag]

hashi

Postby hashi » 2012-05-30, 21:02

Maybe because of this?

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2012-05-31, 23:57

letgo wrote:Flag colours maybe :lol: [flag]uk[/flag][flag]sv[/flag]
"In Sweden there is a story going around, stating that the blue and yellow of Ukraine come from the blue and yellow of Sweden. When King Carl XII of Sweden (he was king 1697-1718) went to war against Peter the Great of Russia, he made allies with the Ukranians, who wanted sovereignity from Russia. The Ukrainians should therefore have taken up the colours of Sweden as their colours. However, I don't know if there is any truth in this story." (Source.)

hashi wrote:Maybe because of this?
They didn't really speak Swedish there. More like the samples found here. I particularly like the Hoan - Hagen sample from Nuckö featuring Elmar Nyman.

OK, they spoke a variety of Norse that separated from East Swedish some 700 years ago or so, in that sense it's Swedish. But then Icelandic and Faroese are just Norwegian.

Interestingly, Estonian Swedish sounds less foreign than Finland Swedish, kind of sounds remotely like Elfdalian. Probably because of less contact between Norse people and neighbours in Estonia than in Finland. Notethat Sweden lost control of Estonia in 1721 (that was just before Gammalsvenskby was founded) which is almost 100 years before Sweden lost Finland. That is, Estonian Swedish was cut away from Sweden Swedish earlier than Finland Swedish was.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-06-01, 16:40

Hunef wrote:Note that Sweden lost control of Estonia in 1721

Rather 1710.

Hunef wrote:Estonian Swedish was cut away from Sweden Swedish earlier than Finland Swedish was.
They still received priests from Sweden, I think.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet.)

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2012-06-01, 23:16

Jurgen Wullenwever wrote:They still received priests from Sweden, I think.
That's what I've heard too, and the Estonian swedes were known to be pretty religious so they probably listened to him. But I think it's rather that Finland Swedish was affected by the neighbours to a larger degree. Estonian Swedish probably preserved more of the original East Swedish accent. That and the fact that the recordings must have been made a long time after they were deported to Sweden.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

EuroChild

Postby EuroChild » 2012-06-10, 21:32

lyzazel wrote:I am not Ukrainian but I have somehow noticed that there seems to be a disproportionate number of Ukrainians trying to learn Swedish. I wonder if this impression of mine is wrong, and if not, if there is a reason for that?

Perhaps soccer and the eurocup 2012 can explain some of it. Sweidsh team is playing in kiev in July and we already have lots of Swedes living in their tents in the middle of Kiev. Maybe ukrainians decided to prepare themselves a little bit for this "swedish invasion" and lear some decent swedish so they could communicate on some primitive level and make Swedes feel at home :) I'm just speculating. I had different reasons to learn Swedish.

EuroChild

Postby EuroChild » 2012-06-12, 9:08

oj, I'm sorry. Actually Swedish team played in Kiev yesterday. The streets were filled with Swedes and the capital turned into a mini Sweden. They say there are 15 thousand Swedish soccer fans in Kiev right now. :D how's that for an explanation ? :)

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”