Silent letters in Swedish

Moderator: Johanna

Chekhov

Re: Silent letters in Swedish

Postby Chekhov » 2011-09-21, 23:17

Yeah, I could, I just don't want to. I actually found it an extremely easy language, one of the easiest I've ever studied - I just had no use for it.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2011-09-22, 0:33

Chekhov wrote:Yeah, I could, I just don't want to. I actually found it an extremely easy language, one of the easiest I've ever studied - I just had no use for it.

Our learners around here seems never to get the word order right, so I wonder how easy it really is. And then there is the pronunciation, but not even the natives speak correctly these days. Otherwise, Swedish does stand in a semi-dialectal relationship to English, so just getting a capacity for vague understanding should be easy.

Grytolle wrote:Orka skriva på engelska i en diskussion som är av sån liten relevans för dem som inte kan svenska än...

It was not aimed at the learners, but as a more general discussion, since it was caused by a foreign non-learner's comments, and the Swedish crowd here is very small, numbering around half a dozen, who already know approximately how we speak ourselves (or at least know how to speak natively), so getting some non-Swedish (and possibly non-learner's) participation (or at least reading) in this thread is the objective. :)
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.
(Ovanstående var förut, nu försöker jag minska sockret och saltet.)

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-09-22, 0:57

Our learners around here seems never to get the word order right, so I wonder how easy it really is.
Speaking flawless, native-like rikssvenska is challenging, but learning to form simple sentences and gaining passive understanding are not. I could read Wikipedia in Swedish after a few months of learning it. I could barely understand it in Arabic after a year or so.
And then there is the pronunciation, but not even the natives speak correctly these days.
Including you, I take it?
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2011-09-22, 1:15

Chekhov wrote:Including you, I take it?

Yes, of course. I grew up with the nine long, eight short vowel system (without ô, and without short e), but that did not seem to fit with the odd bits and pieces one encounters from time to time, and a decade ago, my journey towards the true vowel system entered its more mature stage, with the ten long, ten short, and one unstressed phonemic vowels. Unfortunately I dare not really use it all the time, or cannot, due to communication being more important than correctness, but I can think in it. I rarely speak anyway, and in real life speech situations, the recipient has a hard time hearing what you say, and then making some minuscule difference might be a little over the top.
Chekhov wrote:I don't know about naive worldviews, but Jurgen Wullenwhatever pisses me off to no end because of his extreme pessimism and cynicism. You'd think the world was going to end imminently when talking to that guy.

Jag är rebell: jag sockrar teet, saltar maten, cyklar utan hjälm, och tänder glödlampor.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-09-22, 1:47

I have the cot-caught merger. U mad?
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Reinder
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Reinder » 2011-09-22, 17:26

Chekhov wrote:I've heard it plenty before and even tried to learn some, but the differences between the spoken and written language were too much of a pain. Arabic has a similar problem.

At least the Swedish pronunciation isn't as hard as the Danish one. I can't imagine people can live without studying a Scandinavian language.
Image Image Image | Image Image | Image

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-09-22, 18:44

Reinder wrote:At least the Swedish pronunciation isn't as hard as the Danish one.
True, but I imagine that's a bit like winning the Special Olympics.
I can't imagine people can live without studying a Scandinavian language.
Well, most people don't and they seem to get along fine without them.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Jurgen Wullenwever

Postby Jurgen Wullenwever » 2012-05-17, 15:42

Jag sade "fbättra" (förbättra) inuti en mening häromdagen. :D
/ja sa fbättra inti menŋ härmdan/

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”