Is "sittbyte" a Swedish word?

Moderator:Johanna

Raillife
Is "sittbyte" a Swedish word?

Postby Raillife » 2021-06-27, 15:09

What does "sittbyte" mean in Swedish? Can it mean to change seats? Does it have any positive or negative connotations?

MagnusH

Re: Is "sittbyte" a Swedish word?

Postby MagnusH » 2021-08-01, 15:43

There is no commonly recognized word "sittbyte". If it was, it could well be "to change seats". Is there a space missing between "sitt" and "byte"? Byte could also be "prey" or "booty".

Raillife

Postby Raillife » 2021-08-03, 21:11

Thank you very much for your reply! I google translated the Japanese word for "seat change" into Swedish and it came up with "sittbyte" at the time I first posted. Based on your response the translation must have been wrong. I just google translated it again and now it says "byte av säte."

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2021-08-08, 17:21

Raillife wrote:Thank you very much for your reply! I google translated the Japanese word for "seat change" into Swedish and it came up with "sittbyte" at the time I first posted. Based on your response the translation must have been wrong. I just google translated it again and now it says "byte av säte."

You sort of could use sittbyte, but it's colloquial.

I would say the neutral expression is "[att] byta säte" = "[to] change seats". Except that the Swedish expression has "seat" in singular and the English in plural.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Raillife

Postby Raillife » 2021-08-08, 20:53

Thank you as well for your response! I have a good idea now that sittbyte could mean to change seats but that it is not entirely correct Swedish.

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”