Scandinavian languages mutual intelligibility courses in school

Moderator:Johanna

Interslavic guy
Scandinavian languages mutual intelligibility courses in school

Postby Interslavic guy » 2021-07-15, 9:26

Hello, I have a question,

somewhere I saw an information that in a Scandinavian country(probably Sweden) in schools there are courses(about 10 hours) where you can learn basic differences between Scandinavian Germanic languages - like phonology, grammar etc. - in order to improve your ability in understading the languages of your neighbours. I heared that the efficiency of a course like that is very high - like 50% - but it's an unverified info.
Do you maybe know sth about that? How are named those courses? Is it in only one country or a similar phenomenon is present also elsewhere?

Thank you for help :)
Medžuslovjansky język
Меджусловјанскы језык
Ⰿⰵⰼⱆⱄⰾⱁⰲⰹⰰⱀⱄⰽⱏⰹ ⱗⰸⱏⰹⰽ

Woods

Re: Scandinavian languages mutual intelligibility courses in school

Postby Woods » 2021-07-24, 11:00

Interslavic guy wrote:Hello, I have a question,

somewhere I saw an information that in a Scandinavian country(probably Sweden) in schools there are courses(about 10 hours) where you can learn basic differences between Scandinavian Germanic languages - like phonology, grammar etc. - in order to improve your ability in understading the languages of your neighbours. I heared that the efficiency of a course like that is very high - like 50% - but it's an unverified info.
Do you maybe know sth about that? How are named those courses? Is it in only one country or a similar phenomenon is present also elsewhere?

Thank you for help :)

You have your post two times, can you remove one of them?

Sounds good if they do that, I would actually go further and just expose all scholars to materials in all three languages and further whatever agreement they currently have into making sure every public agency and institution which accepts a document in one of the three languages also accepts the other two.

It is incomprehensible to me when a Danish and a Norwegian person converse in English but that's the result of trying hard for half a century to call them separate languages.

And to answer your question, I haven't heard of such courses, but 10 hours is very low.

On the other hand, I had the University of Helsinki reply to me in written that they wouldn't accept a certificate for academic-level command of Danish for their admission procedures for a degree in Swedish. I didn't go too far but in case I am interested in studying there in the future I would contact every possible institution to teach them language policy.

Return to “Swedish (Svenska)”