Lithuanian music / Lietuviška muzika

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-08-28, 6:18

Yannis wrote:Mantaz,

what do you think about

Žilvinas Žvagulis - Žemaitiškų dainų enciklopedija ?

I have to admit that I'm bit shocked. I thought Žvagulis is always a good investment but most of this album - in my opinion - is really crap. Many songs are cheap re-makes of Western 'beer tent'/carnival - songs. Only some are worth listening. For the rest I need at least 5 beers.
Knowing your taste of music a bit I can imagine you think the same way!? :? :shock: :?

Well, the songs are mostly somewhat semi-folk, probably meant for samogitian parties where beer and other strong drinks have their place as well :D

Yannis

Postby Yannis » 2006-08-28, 7:07

Mantaz wrote:Well, the songs are mostly somewhat semi-folk, probably meant for samogitian parties where beer and other strong drinks have their place as well :D

I Google'd around for the word 'samogitian' and found a lot of horse pictures.
Am I right that this word is used as a replacement for "Lithuanian" and for a certain Lithuanian horse breed :?:

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-08-28, 7:39

Samogotian is a dialect of Lithunian. The eurovision song in 1994 is also in Samogotian: "Strazdas" :wink:

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-08-28, 8:16

Yannis wrote:
Mantaz wrote:Well, the songs are mostly somewhat semi-folk, probably meant for samogitian parties where beer and other strong drinks have their place as well :D

I Google'd around for the word 'samogitian' and found a lot of horse pictures.
Am I right that this word is used as a replacement for "Lithuanian" and for a certain Lithuanian horse breed :?:

Well, Samogitians used to be a separate nation with it's specific language (now way closer to Lithuanian and is taken as dialect). Žvagulis is Samogitian (žemaitis) and in that album he sings in Samogitian only.

Probably something similar to the case of Bavaria and the rest of Germany, althaugh not sure if it's a good comparison :)

Yannis

Postby Yannis » 2006-08-28, 13:29

Thanks a lot for the explanations.

The only thing not answered are the horses.
On this German web site there are Samogitian horses:
http://www.payer.de/entwicklung/entw084a.htm
(search for the words "Samogitian" or "Lithuanian").

I suppose this race was named after this group of people who breeded it!?

Not so important but interesting.

According to your description Bavarian and Samogitian can be compared because both of them are dialects. Do the "ordinary" Lithuanians understand the Samogitian dialect? With the Bavarian dialect it is very complicated: Almost every village has it's own "sub dialects" and expressions so there is not one Bavarian dialect but several, depending on the region. Bavaria is quite big. Bavarians can speak in a way most of the other Germans wouldn't understand but also in a way most would understand. Depends on the people. Is it the same in Lithuania?

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-08-28, 13:59

Yannis wrote:Thanks a lot for the explanations.

The only thing not answered are the horses.
On this German web site there are Samogitian horses:
http://www.payer.de/entwicklung/entw084a.htm
(search for the words "Samogitian" or "Lithuanian").

I suppose this race was named after this group of people who breeded it!?

Not so important but interesting.

There is, of course, such Lithuanian breed, but I am not expert in this field ;)

According to your description Bavarian and Samogitian can be compared because both of them are dialects. Do the "ordinary" Lithuanians understand the Samogitian dialect? With the Bavarian dialect it is very complicated: Almost every village has it's own "sub dialects" and expressions so there is not one Bavarian dialect but several, depending on the region. Bavaria is quite big. Bavarians can speak in a way most of the other Germans wouldn't understand but also in a way most would understand. Depends on the people. Is it the same in Lithuania?

Well, samogitian dialect is scattered as well and a real samogitian must talk slowly, so Lithuanians would understand. That's because they have a fixed stress (on the first syllable) and they usually shorten and cut endings. Other aspects might be handled easier.

Yannis

Postby Yannis » 2006-08-29, 6:20

Mantaz wrote:Well, samogitian dialect is scattered as well and a real samogitian must talk slowly, so Lithuanians would understand. That's because they have a fixed stress (on the first syllable) and they usually shorten and cut endings. Other aspects might be handled easier.

In Bavaria it depends
- on the region the speaker is from
- on the speed of talk as well
- whether he/she wants others to understand him/her
(he/she can use words non-Bavarians would understand or those non-Bavarians wouldn't understand). Most of the "other" people, however, can understand the context of a sentence.

Especially the "sub-dialects" are so unique that several words even other Bavarians wouldn't know - or have their own expressions for it. There are completely new word creations for certain things only people from the special village or region would understand. One of this "sub-dialects" is called "Allgäuerisch" (where I come from :wink:). As my parents came from other parts (father from the North, mother from Tilsit - just 100 km away from todays Klaipeda as Giedre told me :D ) I do understand "Allgäuerisch" but I'm not able to speak it like a "original native" because I didn't get it from the parents, who only spoke "clear" German.
Very difficult topic, the dialects.

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-08-29, 7:05

Yannis wrote:
Mantaz wrote:Well, samogitian dialect is scattered as well and a real samogitian must talk slowly, so Lithuanians would understand. That's because they have a fixed stress (on the first syllable) and they usually shorten and cut endings. Other aspects might be handled easier.

In Bavaria it depends
- on the region the speaker is from
- on the speed of talk as well
- whether he/she wants others to understand him/her
(he/she can use words non-Bavarians would understand or those non-Bavarians wouldn't understand). Most of the "other" people, however, can understand the context of a sentence.

Especially the "sub-dialects" are so unique that several words even other Bavarians wouldn't know - or have their own expressions for it. There are completely new word creations for certain things only people from the special village or region would understand. One of this "sub-dialects" is called "Allgäuerisch" (where I come from :wink:). As my parents came from other parts (father from the North, mother from Tilsit - just 100 km away from todays Klaipeda as Giedre told me :D ) I do understand "Allgäuerisch" but I'm not able to speak it like a "original native" because I didn't get it from the parents, who only spoke "clear" German.
Very difficult topic, the dialects.

Yeah, something similar here :) Interesting that your mother has come from Tilsit [Tilžė]. During the Tsarist rule it was the cultural center of Lithuanians. Maybe you can write some surnames of your relatives from Tilsit via PM? Just interesting :)

Yannis

Postby Yannis » 2006-09-03, 19:25

Mantaz wrote:Interesting that your mother has come from Tilsit [Tilžė]. During the Tsarist rule it was the cultural center of Lithuanians. Maybe you can write some surnames of your relatives from Tilsit via PM? Just interesting :)

Sorry, I checked my ancestral computer program. I can not supply an additional name. There is nobody left I can ask... :? I think all were of German origin. Lithuanians and Germans lived together in this region for centuries.

Yannis

Postby Yannis » 2006-09-11, 13:01

@ Mantaz

There is some new music in the online shop:

Linas Karalius
Shirdies balsu (5 Stars of 5)

Legato
Po viena saule

Kipishas
Formatai - Neformatai

Valdas Karklelis
Meilės spąstai (5 Stars of 5)

Klarkas
Kitoks (5 Stars of 5)

Stasys Povilaitis
Auksiniai praėjusio šimtmečio šlageriai

Do you know anything positive or negative about these artists? Any "must-have's"?

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-09-12, 6:05

Yannis wrote:@ Mantaz

There is some new music in the online shop:

Linas Karalius
Shirdies balsu (5 Stars of 5)

Legato
Po viena saule

Kipishas
Formatai - Neformatai

Valdas Karklelis
Meilės spąstai (5 Stars of 5)

Klarkas
Kitoks (5 Stars of 5)

Stasys Povilaitis
Auksiniai praėjusio šimtmečio šlageriai

Do you know anything positive or negative about these artists? Any "must-have's"?

As far as I know your taste, Kipishas shouldn't be your selection. Can't tell anything about Legato and Valdas Karklelis, coz I haven't heard anything from them. Klarkas and Stasys Povilaitis are for older agers, but AFAIR it's not a criterion for you :) Me personally would take Linas Karalius from this list :)

Yannis

Postby Yannis » 2006-09-12, 8:39

Mantaz wrote:As far as I know your taste, Kipishas shouldn't be your selection. Can't tell anything about Legato and Valdas Karklelis, coz I haven't heard anything from them. Klarkas and Stasys Povilaitis are for older agers, but AFAIR it's not a criterion for you :) Me personally would take Linas Karalius from this list :)

Thanks for the hints! "Legato - Po Viena Saule (2006)" can be found on the my.opera site. I found out that I don't like it at all, sounds like HipHop/Rap genre.

They also have:
Mama RocknRoll - Mergužėlė (2006) - naujiena

This sounds very interesting, but it's more a mix of pop and folk styles, also some Latino and gipsy elements in it. Maybe not so suitable for you :wink:

>Linas Karalius
Is it Rock?

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-09-12, 9:45

Yannis wrote:They also have:
Mama RocknRoll - Mergužėlė (2006) - naujiena

This sounds very interesting, but it's more a mix of pop and folk styles, also some Latino and gipsy elements in it. Maybe not so suitable for you :wink:

Didn't hear much from this lady as well :)

Linas Karalius
Is it Rock?

I don't think so. This guy likes calmer style.

ego

Postby ego » 2006-09-28, 10:59

Yannis are you Greek?

Can you propose me some Lithuanian artists or bands of nice music, not hard rock, not metal please? Perhaps you already have done this in this thread but I cannot search all 50 pages.

Thanks

Yannis

Postby Yannis » 2006-10-05, 8:24

ego wrote:Yannis are you Greek?

Can you propose me some Lithuanian artists or bands of nice music, not hard rock, not metal please? Perhaps you already have done this in this thread but I cannot search all 50 pages.

Thanks

αριθ. είμαι από τη Γερμανία. Πάντρεψα μια γερμανική γυναίκα στην Ελλάδα! Ξέχασα τα πολλά ελληνικά.
Γράφω καλύτερα αγγλικό.

There are not many ways to get Lithuanian music abroad. The two shops, I usually buy music in, are

http://www.patogupirkti.lt/catalog/browse.asp?theme=T05

and

http://www.balticshop.com
(The latter is more expensive, order is via USA.)

We seem to have the same taste of music.

I very much like the group "Tabasco":
http://www.balticshop.com/item.msql?item=10846&cat=0523&title=Lithuanian_Pop_Music_R-Z

It's easy listening pop, nice speedy melodies.

They have only one album for sale as far as I know.

A MUST HAVE is something of the number one musician
Andrius Mamontovas, e.g.
BERIBIAM DANGUJE
http://www.balticshop.com/item.msql?item=10295&cat=0521&title=Lithuanian_Pop_Music_A-G

or the short album
http://www.balticshop.com/item.msql?item=10310&cat=0521&title=Lithuanian_Pop_Music_A-G
in duett with popular female pop singer Atlanta

or
http://www.balticshop.com/item.msql?item=2341&cat=0521&title=Lithuanian_Pop_Music_A-G

He has many styles: melancholic songs, pop, mixed with rock elements but also produces instrumental music - the instrumental music is not everybody's taste - I like it (Album "Tyla"). We discussed him a lot earlier in this forum.

Another nice group is Bavarija
e.g. albums Labai or spalvotas

I very much recommend this album:

http://www.patogupirkti.lt/book/book.asp?ISBN=ZZCD011

Žilvinas Žvagulis - Ramiai

very nice artist with nice pop songs.

One album does not get out of my mind:

http://www.patogupirkti.lt/book/book.asp?ISBN=79309

Inga Valinskienė - Būk šalia

This lady sings nice speedy pop with latin elements.

Finally, a very popular singer is
Geltona - Geriausios dainos

http://www.patogupirkti.lt/book/book.asp?ISBN=MD046-246

Also check out those Artists:

Jurga - Aukso pieva

Aktorių trio - Vėl kartu

Delfinai - Kai tu šalia

There are so many other good artists. I recommend to start with those stated. You can ask for more if you tried them.
Although there are many albums online I recommend to support those artists and buy originals. The prices in Patogupirkti - shop are fair and the service reliable. I get 90 % of my albums from there. Albums they don't have I buy from Balticshop.

Just a remark: I don't get any commission from these shops. There are simply not that many shops where you can buy those albums with English support available.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-10-05, 8:39

As you know, my archive has gone because of my pc went boom. Can you upload Airija again? :roll:

Yannis

Postby Yannis » 2006-10-05, 10:49

Alcadras wrote:As you know, my archive has gone because of my pc went boom. Can you upload Airija again? :roll:

Why? It's online already. Vicza posted a link.
http://my.opera.com/shedeuw/blog/ :wink:

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-10-05, 16:07

I hadn't seen this website, it's got full of musics! :shock:

Yannis

Postby Yannis » 2006-10-05, 17:05

Alcadras wrote:I hadn't seen this website, it's got full of musics! :shock:

Yep, will keep you busy for a while :wink:

(His post was there for a long time already....)

I'll buy the originals anyway. But thus I can judge whether it's worth it or not.

ego

Postby ego » 2006-10-06, 10:33

Thanks a lot Yanni

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”