Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me translate these sentences:

Laiko siaus pūga
O mano širdį vis šalta žiema

I understand the individual words but can't understand what the sentence is. :/

lyzazel

Re: Help with Lithuanian translation?

Postby lyzazel » 2016-12-13, 21:30

Hi.

This phrase does not make much sense per se.

Laiko -> means time's (or: of time, if you prefer, like the passage of time - laiko ėjimas), so:

laiko siaus pūga -> time's will-rage a-blizzard (which does not make any sense)

It would make more sense if it was 'už lango' ('behind the window'), which would make it 'a blizzard will range behind the window'. It could also be 'lauke' ('outside').

The other part makes more sense, except for 'širdį', which feels like it's used in the wrong case (accusative) instead of locative. Compare these two.

The current one:
The fixed one:

So, it if is slightly corrected, it would mean: a blizzard will rage behind the window, but there is still a cold winter in my heart. If not corrected, it would mean 'time's will rage a blizzard, and still cold winter my heart'. But it sounds like it was transcribed by someone who was either in a rush or was not extremely knowledgeable in the language and therefore it should be corrected.
Check out my project with interlinear translations (or, you could say, 'subtitled books') at Interlinear Books

sumpsvamp

Postby sumpsvamp » 2016-12-14, 10:05

Hm, the corrections you made seems more logical.
I think I have seen a version where they wrote laikas instead of laiko. Would that make much difference?

These are parts of the lyrics for let it go in Lithuanian. Any possibility that you could listen and see what the transcription should actually be, since the one I found seems to be faulty. :/

lyzazel

Postby lyzazel » 2016-12-30, 23:00

Laikas is the nominative of laiko. It just means 'time'. I don't think it helps.

I (or somebody else) could try to listen if you can post it to here somehow.
Check out my project with interlinear translations (or, you could say, 'subtitled books') at Interlinear Books

Varaleiva

Postby Varaleiva » 2017-01-05, 14:01

"laiko siaus pūga -> time's will-rage a-blizzard (which does not make any sense)"
"laiko siaus pūga" is emphatic word order, meaning of sentence something like "raging chaos of time" (future tense).
Sorry, but this is above my english language skils.

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”