Mokytis + genitive

bob_26782
Mokytis + genitive

Postby bob_26782 » 2013-11-17, 16:03

Hi all,

Could someone please explain to me why the verb 'mokytis' (to study) in Lithuanian takes the genitive case for its subject (i.e. as mokausi lietuviu kalbos)? I'm only a beginner in the language and am struggling to find the answer to this in any of my resources - my girlfriend is no use in explaining these things either despite being an interpreter! :) Is it something to do with it being a reflexive verb?

Thanks in advance for any help!

nesos

Re: Mokytis + genitive

Postby nesos » 2013-11-30, 15:16

Verbs in Lithuanian can take direct objects (not subjects) in genitive or accusative cases.
The genitive is used when object is lacking: trūksta druskos, mokausi kalbos
with negative verbs: nėra druskos, neturiu pirštinių
The object is not complete: turiu duonos (In English they are usually translated with some: I have some bread)
When the object is complete the accusative is used: moku kalbą , turiu pirštines.
Those verbs that take the object in accusative usually can take it in genitive as well:
duok peilį - give a knife
duok duonos - give some bread

エヴァルダス

Re: Mokytis + genitive

Postby エヴァルダス » 2014-01-27, 22:54

The genitive is used when object is lacking: trūksta druskos, mokausi kalbos

This is not correct, because synonims of the word "mokytis" ("studijuoti" etc.) require accusative and not genitive.

Could someone please explain to me why the verb 'mokytis' (to study) in Lithuanian takes the genitive case for its subject

While it’s true that the verb "mokytis" can be used with nouns in genitive, in this situation accusative is OK as well.

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”