Can someone tell me what the title of this book is?

Cissy
Can someone tell me what the title of this book is?

Postby Cissy » 2012-12-12, 2:12

I want to apologize for not speaking Latvian, but I think this book is in Latvian. If it's not, I'm sorry for wasting your time and please delete my thread. I was thinking it's German, but I think the lady that gave it to me came from Latvia so that would make more sense. Come to think of it, maybe I should just go ask this in the American forum?(!)

Gratefully,

Cissy

Here's a direct link to the picture of my book:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/187-Leather-Germ ... ChVEHCnkBQ)5,TBY1!~~60_3.JPG

Oh, and one more thing...if it isn't Latvian, does anyone know what language, or what it says?

Again, thank you for being so gracious and just being here for us clueless people!

linguoboy

Re: Can someone tell me what the title of this book is?

Postby linguoboy » 2012-12-12, 2:50

I believe it's Lithuanian rather than Latvian. It looks to me like the Lithuanian translation of his Von wahrem Christenthum ("Of the true Christianity") published in Tilsit (Lithuanian Tilžė, modern Sovetsk in Kaliningrad Oblast) in the second half of the 19th century. Here's a link to the corresponding bibliographic record in Google Books: http://books.google.com/books/about/Naba%C3%9Ftininko_Jono_Oranto_Arndt_%C3%9Fe%C3%9Fos.html?id=dx_NtgAACAAJ
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Cissy

Postby Cissy » 2012-12-12, 3:50

Oh, my! Lingoboy, thank you so much for the direction! It's too late for me to stay up and research it; but I just wanted to give you a quick "thank you" and I'll let you know what I found out!

Gratefully,

Cissy

Cissy

Postby Cissy » 2012-12-12, 17:09

Lingoboy, I checked it out this morning and it looks like the information you gave me is about as close as I'm going to get. My book is definitely a translation of the original book "Of The True Christianity", but running it through Lithuanian, Latvian, German, etc. translators, I'm not getting an exact match. However, your Google link has the exact year and number of pages. So, I'm going to work on forms of Lithuanian dialects.

Thank you so much.

Gratefully,

Cissy

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2012-12-12, 17:30

Cissy wrote:Lingoboy, I checked it out this morning and it looks like the information you gave me is about as close as I'm going to get. My book is definitely a translation of the original book "Of The True Christianity", but running it through Lithuanian, Latvian, German, etc. translators, I'm not getting an exact match. However, your Google link has the exact year and number of pages. So, I'm going to work on forms of Lithuanian dialects.

I'm not sure it's dialectal as much as simply archaic. Krikščionuma̜ and krikščionia seem to both be earlier variants of modern krikščionybė.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2012-12-12, 17:39

Moved to Lithuanian forum since it seems that there are further issues to be solved here :)

Agrumas

Postby Agrumas » 2012-12-22, 17:49

Yes, its archaic.
I found mentioned this book "Nabaštininko Jono Dranto šešios knygos apie tikrą krikščioniškumą" in http://www.spaudos.lt/Muziejai/Plunges_MB.htm

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”