Dating phrases in Lithuanian

rastabilly
Dating phrases in Lithuanian

Postby rastabilly » 2010-12-07, 10:34

In addition to a number of basic phrases (which I have had no trouble finding) I'm trying to put together a list of a few simple lines and conversation starters to chat to girls in Eastern Europe. Would anyone be able to help me with the following phrases in Lithuanian?

Can I buy you a drink?
You're beautiful
Can I call you?
Do you have a boyfriend?
I like you
You're "the one"
You are cute
Can I kiss you?

Many thanks!

desper

Re: Dating phrases in Lithuanian

Postby desper » 2010-12-08, 17:27

I'd assert that making such phrasebooks may escalate the stereotypes of girls in Eastern Europe being easily available for sexual purposes and thus bringing sex-tourism, objectifying women and impeding the development of equal rights as well as bringing forward those very same stereotypes which make women right violations, violence against women and, among other things, women trafficking available. This is well demonstrated by the discriminatory nature of the abovementioned text where "do you have a boyfriend" is given and not the counterpart thereof.

Additionaly, Lithuania is more Northern than Eastern Europe, at least if you trust United Nations anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europ ... oschme.svg

Milya0

Postby Milya0 » 2010-12-08, 19:32

I'd understand "Northern Europe" as Scandinavia (Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and maybe Estonia). Lithuania is more Central or Eastern for me.
Qroo₃₁ kaa₄ cro₂ kraa₃ kaa₄ qo₄₁ cra₄₁ ka₄ qoo₄₂ krá₄₂.

rastabilly

Postby rastabilly » 2010-12-09, 2:58

There are no evil intentions here. Just a few phrases to chat to girls - why do people misinterpret this? Just to confirm, these aren't the only phrases I've learnt. See below - feel free to correct! Many thanks

Hello - Labas
How are you? - Kaip gyveni?
I'm fine thanks - Aciu, gerai
I'm English - Aš esu iš Anglijos
Do you speak English? - Ar jūs kalbate angliškai?
What is your name? - Koks tavo vardas?
My name is - Mano vardas
Pleased to meet you - Malonu susipažinti
Sorry/excuse me - Atsiprašau
Yes - Taip
No - Ne
Please - Prašau
Thank you - Dekoju
You're welcome - Prašom
Good - Geras
I don't understand - Aš nesuprantu
Goodbye - Viso gero

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2010-12-09, 8:19

rastabilly wrote:There are no evil intentions here. Just a few phrases to chat to girls - why do people misinterpret this? Just to confirm, these aren't the only phrases I've learnt. See below - feel free to correct! Many thanks

Can I kiss you?

If I ever hear people say this in English to total strangers, it seems a bit creepy and perverse in my mind.

rastabilly

Postby rastabilly » 2010-12-09, 18:05

I expect it would raise a smile in a casual conversation, which is kind of the idea

desper

Postby desper » 2010-12-09, 20:50

Milya0: well, there is you, and then there is the official effective data-based division used by the United Nations, whom should we trust? Did you check the link in my post?

rastabilly: no matter the intentions, we are talking effects here. Your texts are sexists as in only adressing women. Women would perhaps find this sexism funny but that is above and beyond the point. Your previous phrases are not devoid of mistakes. Here, i'll corect them for you:

Hello - Labas
I'm fine thanks - Ačiū, gerai.
I'm English - Aš esu iš Anglijos
Do you speak English? - Ar kalbi angliškai? (informal) / Ar kalbate angliškai? (formal)
My name is - Mano vardas yra...
Pleased to meet you - Malonu susipažinti.
Sorry/excuse me - Atsiprašau.
Yes - Taip
No - Ne
Please - Prašau
Thank you - Ačiū.
You're welcome - Nėra už ką / prašau
Good - Gerai
I don't understand - Aš nesuprantu
Goodbye - Viso gero

nesos

Postby nesos » 2010-12-10, 17:10

desper wrote:Milya0: well, there is you, and then there is the official effective data-based division used by the United Nations, whom should we trust? Did you check the link in my post?
Historically and culturally it is Eastern/Central Europe. Generally such divisions in cases when there are no clear boundaries are arbitrary.
rastabilly: no matter the intentions, we are talking effects here. Your texts are sexists as in only adressing women. Women would perhaps find this sexism funny but that is above and beyond the point. Your previous phrases are not devoid of mistakes. Here, i'll corect them for you:

Hello - Labas
I'm fine thanks - Ačiū, gerai.
„Kaip gyveni?“ isn't a greeting, it can't replace „labas“ and you must be prepared to get real account how someone is instead of formal „ačiū, gerai“(in this case „ačiū, gerai“ is polite form to say "It is not your busines" :lol: )
My name is - Mano vardas yra...
Kuo tu vardu?
Aš vardu... That would be more natural.
Koks tavo vardas? The corect aswer would be ilgas(long), trumpas(short) or gražus(beautiful) :lol:

desper

Postby desper » 2010-12-14, 20:54

Historically and culturally it is Eastern/Central Europe. Generally such divisions in cases when there are no clear boundaries are arbitral

And you base that on... hmm... nothing? I can see no evidence of it historically being recognized as Eastern Europe and culturally Lithuania has a culture of its own. Moreover, even if you could prove the historical and cultural attribution to Eastern Europe (which you didn't), what sense does it make anyway provided we are talking in geographical terms (why say Eastern Europe if it's not in the East and Northern if it's not in the North! - it simply does not make sense that way) and in geographical terms (here, have a look at a map http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CCQQ9QEwAA ) - Lithuania is on the same plain with Denmark and since Denmark is attributed to Northern Europe, it would be logical if Lithuania was so too.

„Kaip gyveni?“ isn't a greeting, it can't replace „labas“ and you must be prepared to get real account how someone is instead of formal „ačiū, gerai“(in this case „ačiū, gerai“ is polite form to say "It is not your busines" )

That is a somewhat good point. I would say, however, that it is a greeting to some extent but it's probably less of one as compared to English.

Kuo tu vardu?
Koks tavo vardas? The corect aswer would be ilgas(long), trumpas(short) or gražus(beautiful)

I would disagree that it is more natural. It's just another variant of saying it (I'm not sure where it comes from either). It only applies to names and the adjective-for-an-answer joke isn't funny. Lithuanian uses koks/kokia for "what" questions and you don't say kuo yra Islandijos sostinė but kokia yra Islandijos sostinė and still except the name of the city as an answer.

nesos

Postby nesos » 2010-12-15, 12:14

desper wrote:
Historically and culturally it is Eastern/Central Europe. Generally such divisions in cases when there are no clear boundaries are arbitral

And you base that on... hmm... nothing? I can see no evidence of it historically being recognized as Eastern Europe and culturally Lithuania has a culture of its own. Moreover, even if you could prove the historical and cultural attribution to Eastern Europe (which you didn't), what sense does it make anyway provided we are talking in geographical terms (why say Eastern Europe if it's not in the East and Northern if it's not in the North! - it simply does not make sense that way) and in geographical terms (here, have a look at a map http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CCQQ9QEwAA ) - Lithuania is on the same plain with Denmark and since Denmark is attributed to Northern Europe, it would be logical if Lithuania was so too.
I can see you point and reason why you think Lithuania as the Northern Europe.
http://www.lrytas.lt/-12923334731291809368-lietuva-ir-dar-penkios-valstyb%C4%97s-ragina-es-nepamir%C5%A1ti-komunistinio-re%C5%BEimo-nusikaltim%C5%B3.htm?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss Btw that may not be the best example because it is possible to interpret that Lithuania is meant to be aside from those five countries.
There are clearly seen, that Lithuania once was more part of Eastern Europe, than is now: http://lt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaizdas:Rzeczpospolita_voivodships.png
While Lithuania do has its culture, that culture didn't developed in void without any interactions with other peoples. E.g. majority of words that was borrowed from other languages is of slavic origin.
„Kaip gyveni?“ isn't a greeting, it can't replace „labas“ and you must be prepared to get real account how someone is instead of formal „ačiū, gerai“(in this case „ačiū, gerai“ is polite form to say "It is not your busines" )

That is a somewhat good point. I would say, however, that it is a greeting to some extent but it's probably less of one as compared to English.
It is used to start conversation with people that you know but have seen a long time ago but it is weird when used by stranger. at least I can't remember any case when I was asked by a strange „kaip gyveni?“ or „kaip laikaisi?“.

Kuo tu vardu?
Koks tavo vardas? The corect aswer would be ilgas(long), trumpas(short) or gražus(beautiful)

I would disagree that it is more natural. It's just another variant of saying it (I'm not sure where it comes from either). It only applies to names and the adjective-for-an-answer joke isn't funny. Lithuanian uses koks/kokia for "what" questions and you don't say kuo yra Islandijos sostinė but kokia yra Islandijos sostinė and still except the name of the city as an answer.

You are right it is only used with names (vardais), even then some people feel it as false. But with names of cities (miestų pavadinimais) it is different. I say not „kuo yra Islandijos sostinė?“ but „kas yra Islandijos sostinė?“ or „kaip vadinasi Islandijos sostinė?“ when asking about name. „kokia yra Islandijos sostinė?“ The name of city is the last thing I would except as an answer, but „koks tai miestas?“, „koks miestas yra Islandijos sostinė? or „koks Islandijos sostinės pavadinimas?“ would be about name of city. You are missing one point that meanings of words in different languages don't overlap fully, thus "what" not always is „koks“, e.g.: "what is he reading?" is „ką jis skaito?“, not „koks jis skaito?“

JustMeThere

Postby JustMeThere » 2017-09-05, 12:35

Almost every girl in Lithuania can speak in english so you don't need to learn any lithuanian fhrases. But ij you want to, so why not :) Good way to surpise girl, or you can buy flowers (http://www.gelesinternetu.eu/en.htm), they love them.

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”