quick question

kman1
Posts: 1028
Joined: 2005-10-04, 0:16
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

quick question

Postby kman1 » 2006-11-20, 2:55

I'm trying to practice Lithuanian by construct sentences so I have a question. How do you determine which conjugation a verb belongs to? (i.e. if I look up the verb "to fly" it says "tylėti, tyli, tylėjo" but by looking at this how do I know if this verb is a first, second, or third conjugation verb?? :?:

My guess is that you tell by the second main form of the verb. a - first conj. / i - second conj. / o - third conj. (this probably is incorrect but this is the only thing that I see now)

User avatar
vicza
Posts: 1276
Joined: 2005-04-25, 23:03
Gender: male
Location: Moscow
Country: RU Russia (Российская Федерация)

Re: quick question

Postby vicza » 2006-11-20, 8:04

kman1 wrote:(i.e. if I look up the verb "to fly" it says "tylėti, tyli, tylėjo"

Tylėti doesn't mean "to fly", rather "to be silent". ;)

the verb. a - first conj. / i - second conj. / o - third conj.

Well, you're right. Although, you have to remember the three forms anyway, they can be irregular.


BTW, what does prevent you from reading some appropriate grammar? ;) Even that (or that), for example.

kman1
Posts: 1028
Joined: 2005-10-04, 0:16
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby kman1 » 2006-11-20, 21:21

thanks for the Wiki link, vicza. I'll study it right away.

kman1
Posts: 1028
Joined: 2005-10-04, 0:16
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby kman1 » 2006-11-20, 21:38

By the way, I believe this Wiki article is erroneous. If you take a look at this link: (the verbs section)
http://tinyurl.com/y967rm
the information is different from the info in this link: http://tinyurl.com/y2v5gh

I'm pretty sure that the info in the second link is correct. (the guy who wrote it is native Lithuanian) So..... which one is correct??

User avatar
Mantaz
Posts: 1527
Joined: 2004-12-29, 19:22
Real Name: Mantas Indrašius
Gender: male
Location: Tallinn, EE
Country: LT Lithuania (Lietuva)
Contact:

Postby Mantaz » 2006-11-21, 7:08

kman1 wrote:By the way, I believe this Wiki article is erroneous. If you take a look at this link: (the verbs section)
http://tinyurl.com/y967rm
the information is different from the info in this link: http://tinyurl.com/y2v5gh

I'm pretty sure that the info in the second link is correct. (the guy who wrote it is native Lithuanian) So..... which one is correct??


I looked throught and didn't find any errors in both of these. Maybe you could tell, what does look suspicious for you and we could try to correct or explain :)

kman1
Posts: 1028
Joined: 2005-10-04, 0:16
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby kman1 » 2006-11-21, 8:54

In this link:
http://tinyurl.com/y967rm
it doesn't even mention the second main form (present tense) nor the third main (past tense) when constructing the present and past tenses.

In this link:
http://tinyurl.com/y2v5gh
the second & third, etc. are included and explained with examples.

Why??

エヴァルダス
Posts: 167
Joined: 2006-08-13, 15:53
Gender: male
Location: Rīga
Country: LV Latvia (Latvija)

Postby エヴァルダス » 2006-11-21, 12:32

kman1:
Why??


Because none of these sites completely describes the grammatical structure of the language. What you get there is approximately 10% of what you need. The only solution is to gain access to something more exhaustive (like the English translation of Dabartinės lietuvių kalbos gramatika).

kman1
Posts: 1028
Joined: 2005-10-04, 0:16
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby kman1 » 2006-11-22, 0:14

yeah that's true

User avatar
desper
Posts: 205
Joined: 2005-08-22, 18:27
Location: none

Postby desper » 2006-11-22, 10:15

O kam naudoti kažkokius tinyurl?

Jei geras resursas, tai kodėl nepalikt tiesioginės atgalinės nuorodos (direct back link) į jį?

User avatar
Mantaz
Posts: 1527
Joined: 2004-12-29, 19:22
Real Name: Mantas Indrašius
Gender: male
Location: Tallinn, EE
Country: LT Lithuania (Lietuva)
Contact:

Postby Mantaz » 2006-11-23, 7:05

desper wrote:O kam naudoti kažkokius tinyurl?

Jei geras resursas, tai kodėl nepalikt tiesioginės atgalinės nuorodos (direct back link) į jį?


Apie ką mes čia ir kas yra "tiesioginė atgalinė nuoroda"? :)

User avatar
vicza
Posts: 1276
Joined: 2005-04-25, 23:03
Gender: male
Location: Moscow
Country: RU Russia (Российская Федерация)

Postby vicza » 2006-11-23, 7:44

Mantaz wrote:
desper wrote:O kam naudoti kažkokius tinyurl?

Jei geras resursas, tai kodėl nepalikt tiesioginės atgalinės nuorodos (direct back link) į jį?


Apie ką mes čia ir kas yra "tiesioginė atgalinė nuoroda"? :)


Jis, turbūt, turėjo galvoje, kodėl "kman1", vietoj nurodęs tiesoginį linką (t.y. en.wikipedia.org etc) pasinaudojo kažkokiu tinyurlu (t.y. http://tinyurl.com/y967rm). Tiesa pasakius, aš irgi to nesupratau. :o


Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest