An (online) dictionary LT -> English dictionary

desper

An (online) dictionary LT -> English dictionary

Postby desper » 2006-09-23, 10:17

For anyone interested in online lithuanian-english dictionaries, I've found http://www.zodynas.info/

It works for now at least.
(But they could drop that face of the index).

You can also try getting Anglonas (which is the best but costs about 50+ dollars) or some other software (like Kzod, which is not full). Also, I've SlovoED for Symbian Mobile Phones.

----

Jei kas nors sudidomėjęs lietuvių-anglų žodynu, radau http://www.zodynas.info

Bent jau kol kas ten viskas veikia.

Dar galima pabandyti Angloną (man atrodo geriausias, bet kainuoja, atrodo, virš šimto litų) ar kokios kitos programinės įrangos (pvz. Kzod, kuriam trūksta žodžių). Dar yra SlovoED, kuris skirtas Symbian telefonams.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2006-09-24, 10:51

I think this website and other Lithuanian dictionary sites posted thus far are good but does anyone know of a dictionary that outlines which number a noun is, what the 3 forms of the verb are (infinitive, 2nd form, & 3rd form, right?), what number the adjective is, etc.. I'm trying to make up some practice sentences so I can memorize all the different cases for nouns, adj., verbs, etc.. someone provide some good news, links, helpful tidbits, etc.. :idea:

vicza

Postby vicza » 2006-09-25, 15:50

kman1 wrote:but does anyone know of a dictionary that outlines which number a noun is, what the 3 forms of the verb are (infinitive, 2nd form, & 3rd form, right?), what number the adjective is, etc..

www.lkz.lt
http://www.autoinfa.lt/webdic/

Both in Lithuanian only, of course.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2006-09-26, 6:42

I don't get it... I went to both of those sites and the first one is under construction so the dictionary does NOT work and the second one doesn't really do anything. I may be doing something wrong, so would you mind demonstrating for us what words/things to click in order to use the dictionaries in the links you posted?? That would be awesome if you don't mind! :) (I'm just soo confused and I really want to practice my Lithuanian grammar)

vicza

Postby vicza » 2006-09-26, 15:55

kman1 wrote:I don't get it... I went to both of those sites and the first one is under construction so the dictionary does NOT work

It does. The English part doesn't. You can go directly to http://www.lkz.lt/startas.htm

and the second one doesn't really do anything.

Hmmm... You enter a word, and you obtain it's meaning, it's grammatical forms, examples of using.. Is there anything else you want from a dictionary?

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2006-09-27, 2:29

Well, I still can't get the first link to work... Can someone else try clicking the first link and see if they are getting the same results as I am?

The second link IS working however it's showing me letters that aren't in the Lithuanian alphabet... How do I get fix this problem?? These are some of the entries it shows me when I look for the word: "kalba"
7. dgs. apkalba, paskala, gandai, plepalai: Apsikėlė žmonių ~omķs. (what is the letter "ķ" shown at the end of the sentence here? This letter isn't in the alphabet... Also shown is [ 4. pašnekesys: Su juo ~õs buvo kaip vandens. (what is the letter "õ" again this letter isn't in the alphabet) ] How do I fix this?

vicza

Postby vicza » 2006-09-27, 5:48

kman1 wrote:The second link IS working however it's showing me letters that aren't in the Lithuanian alphabet... How do I get fix this problem??

Haven't you tried to look at the menu (on the top of the page)? There is an item "Nematau kirčiuotų raidžių!" ("I don't see letters with stress"). You can click on it and install a special font...

(what is the letter "õ" again this letter isn't in the alphabet) ]

Yes, it IS. Not in common one, but in, so to say, "linguistic" alphabet. It (and many other letters of this kind) mark stresses.

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-09-27, 6:13

vicza wrote:
kman1 wrote:I don't get it... I went to both of those sites and the first one is under construction so the dictionary does NOT work

It does. The English part doesn't. You can go directly to http://www.lkz.lt/startas.htm

Actually LKŽ Lithuanian part doesn't work for me either.

vicza

Postby vicza » 2006-09-27, 7:32

Mantaz wrote:Actually LKŽ Lithuanian part doesn't work for me either.

I have tried it just now -- it does.

desper

Postby desper » 2006-09-29, 10:25

That is just a letter with the stress sound on it.
In writing or anythiing is not actually used. Just the guys who are into the grammar or something can sometimes use that. I've never paid attention to those letters so I think for the begining it's ok to just skip them. Unless you would be studiing lithuanian on that complicated level, what you probably sholdn't do in the beginning.

And still, basically, that just means a strong o sound. It's not that much of a difference.

LKZ worked for me, but took quite a while to load the meaning of the word.

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”