Pronounciation

luap

Pronounciation

Postby luap » 2006-07-10, 14:00

Laba Diena,

I have a question regarding pronounciation?

Do the ways in which words are pronounced differ from city to city, for example do people in Vilnius pronounce Galima as (Gullima) and people from other areas pronounce it Galima like it is spelt or are these phrases all pronounced the same where ever you are in Lithuania?

Also does it really matter how you pronounce things as in English, People from the north pronounce "Can't" like Caant but in the south it is pronounced more like Carnt

Ačiū

Paulius

Mantaz

Re: Pronounciation

Postby Mantaz » 2006-07-10, 20:14

luap wrote:Laba Diena,

I have a question regarding pronounciation?

Do the ways in which words are pronounced differ from city to city, for example do people in Vilnius pronounce Galima as (Gullima) and people from other areas pronounce it Galima like it is spelt or are these phrases all pronounced the same where ever you are in Lithuania?

Also does it really matter how you pronounce things as in English, People from the north pronounce "Can't" like Caant but in the south it is pronounced more like Carnt

Ačiū

Paulius

Yes, Lithuanian is rich in dialects, althaugh word "galima" is not the best example to compare, coz it doesn't contain elements that usually differ from dialect to dialect. Anyway, there'd be a lot to explain, so I'll just give you a link where you could read it:

http://www.lituanus.org/1982_1/82_1_02.htm

luap

Postby luap » 2006-07-10, 20:36

Thank you Mantaz,

So basically lithuanian is a language where you can pronounce anything any way and still be right :D

Cheers

PS - would you say that the best way to practice pronounciation is to watch Lithuanian TV and listen to music and mimic the words?

Again Cheers

Paulius

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-07-10, 20:52

luap wrote:Thank you Mantaz,

So basically lithuanian is a language where you can pronounce anything any way and still be right :D

Cheers

PS - would you say that the best way to practice pronounciation is to watch Lithuanian TV and listen to music and mimic the words?

Again Cheers

Paulius

Nope, there are rules for each dialect and you can't just say anything and be right ;)

I.e. "ranka" [last a stressed] in my native dialect (highlandish utenian] would be pronounced as "runka" [last a stressed] [and in samogitian it would be "ronka" ["o" stressed]. Try to read the text more thoroughly, it's explained there ;)

luap

Postby luap » 2006-07-10, 21:08

Cheers - I hope you realize I was only joking and not trying to insult the Lithuanians :?

P.S - Do you know of anywhere I could learn the different pronounciations so If I was in Lithuania I would be able to understand people more clearly rather than hearing a phrase and it going over my head when all I needed to know is that one letter is pronounced differently so then I can understand the speaker

Ačiū

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-07-10, 21:12

luap wrote:Cheers - I hope you realize I was only joking and not trying to insult the Lithuanians :?

P.S - Do you know of anywhere I could learn the different pronounciations so If I was in Lithuania I would be able to understand people more clearly rather than hearing a phrase and it going over my head when all I needed to know is that one letter is pronounced differently so then I can understand the speaker

Ačiū

No problem, I didn't take it as insult or something similar :)

I think you should learn the common language first ;) There are a lot of pronunciation differences, thus it'll be to hard for you to get it ;)

luap

Postby luap » 2006-07-10, 21:25

Ačiū, Tu turi atsakyto mano klausimas apie Lietuviškai kalbos

P.S - I hope that "Atsakyto" is the past tense form of answered/Replied as I think "gyveno" means lived

Ačiū

Paulius

luap

Postby luap » 2006-07-10, 21:26

Ačiū, Tu turi atsakyto mano klausimas apie Lietuviškai kalbos

P.S - I hope that "Atsakyto" is the past tense form of answered/Replied as I think "gyveno" means lived

Ačiū

Paulius

vicza

Postby vicza » 2006-07-11, 5:57

luap wrote:Ačiū, Tu turi atsakyto mano klausimas apie Lietuviškai kalbos

No. Tu atsakei / tu esi atsakęs (you answered / you have (lit.: you are) answered).
The same with gyventi.

And, BTW, "mano klausimą apie lietuvių kalbą"

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-07-11, 7:43

luap wrote:Ačiū, Tu turi atsakyto mano klausimas apie Lietuviškai kalbos

Ačiū

Paulius

Yeah, it should have been "Ačiū, tu atsakei į mano klausimą [atsakyti į ką] dėl lietuvių kalbos [dėl ko]". Try not to use English constructions for tenses (like "tu turi" [you have]), coz it usually doesn't work in Lithuanian. Note that we don't usually differ "perfect" and "simple" tenses, but there are some tools to differ them if you really want to emphasize that. That tool is the use of word "būti" and the participant (in present tense only the participant might be used) :

i.e.: you have answered => "tu atsakei" [preferred] / "tu [esi] atsakęs/atsakiusi" [lit. "you are answered"; note that participant is differed in genders]; "tu buvai atsakęs/atsakiusi" [you had answered].

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2006-08-15, 13:18

There's still no Lithuanian section of Sonidos del Mundo :cry: Could you please do something about it, Lithuanians?
I'd appreciate any corrections to my messages!
Vi sarò molto grato per ogni correzione!
Zelo vam bom hvaležen za popravke!
Aş fi recunoscător pentru orice corectare!
Bio bih vam veoma zahvalan na ispravkama!

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-08-15, 20:28

Fenek wrote:There's still no Lithuanian section of Sonidos del Mundo :cry: Could you please do something about it, Lithuanians?

Lithuanians are too shy for that :lol:

If I had no problems with pronouncing thrilled r, I'd do it for sure, but too pity :)

エヴァルダス

Postby エヴァルダス » 2006-08-16, 23:41

Lithuanians are too shy for that

Speak for yourself!

Iš tikrųjų man niekas netrukdo visa tai paruošti, jei žinočiau kaip viską čia įkelti.

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2006-08-17, 6:06

エヴァルダス wrote:
Lithuanians are too shy for that

Speak for yourself!

Iš tikrųjų man niekas netrukdo visa tai paruošti, jei žinočiau kaip viską čia įkelti.

Aš tk juokavau ;) Dėl įdėjimo ir pats nieko apie tai nežinau, pamėgink parašyti asmeninę žinutę Fenek'ui.

エヴァルダス

Postby エヴァルダス » 2006-08-17, 11:40

Bus padaryta.

エヴァルダス

Postby エヴァルダス » 2006-08-23, 12:53

Return to “Lithuanian (Lietuvių kalba)”