How to get started with Hungarian agglutination?

Moderator:france-eesti

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-10, 11:02

How to get started with Hungarian agglutination when one already is familiar with this concept because of Swahili (or any other agglutinative language for that matter)?
this is a reboot

langmon

Re: How to get started with Hungarian agglutination?

Postby langmon » 2018-11-12, 9:47

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:How to get started with Hungarian agglutination when one already is familiar with this concept because of Swahili (or any other agglutinative language for that matter)?

Now that question already has been answered after being able to take a (sort of) closer look at Hungarian grammar. Basically, it isn't too different from (a child) learning to use different building blocks, other than the Lego/Duplo he/she was used to :D. Because these languages are all about Word Building Blocks.
this is a reboot

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-12, 10:16

"Légy mindig becsületes!"

Is this only used for informal speech, or is it used for both informal and formal?

"Mikor érkezik meg a vonat Berlinbe?"

Does the "-be" in this sentence change according to vocal harmony? Or can one replace "Berlin" with any other city without changing the "-be"?

"Nem, tavaly már voltam itt."

Is the literal meaning of "voltam": "I have", or "I have been"?
this is a reboot

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-11-13, 20:27

Szia!
Sorry, I split your thread from mine because you stole mine haha so let's all have our own threads, it'll make it easier for everybody to manage.
Jó tanulást!
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-13, 20:40

france-eesti wrote:Szia!
Sorry, I split your thread from mine because you stole mine haha so let's all have our own threads, it'll make it easier for everybody to manage.
Jó tanulást!

Very sorry little brunette girl :).
I didn't want to steal your candy.
It's just that I took a look at the beginning of your thread, and then I somehow misinterpreted (this means "not understanding it the right way") your words. Pwetty pwease don't be angry with me, alright?

"France-eesti threat and thread

Szia!
Okay, I had said I wouldn't overflow the forum with my questions but I am here to report a nasty Hungarian word that likes to bully me :cry:"

Because of the thread's title and the first post being combined that way, I really, really was thinking that this was the Official Hungarian Subforum Question Thread, I kid you not! I thought at that time that this "threat and thread" thing would be your way of expressing that, although I now realize that I really did get that one wrong.

EDIT: So basically I was thinking that the title didn't mean anything beyond "threat and thread Thread opened by France-eesti", and possibly even that image of yours (the drawn picture of that brunette little girl) caused a bit of that impression to me specifically, even if there is no real reason for it :).

Communication Bigger Puzzle Piece found, thank you little brunette girl, and I am still looking for more of them. But I don't intend to steal any personal puzzle of yours, nor any candy, and especially not your koala teddy bear! :D
this is a reboot

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-11-13, 21:35

Hi there, no matter at all, don't worry. I just thought things were cleaner this way.
So anyway, how do you wish to proceed with Hungarian? It isn't easy but it is very enjoyable - I'm having the time of my life since I started to learn (with real Hungarians as well - I met wonderful people) :partyhat:
I learnt by Conversation Exchange + MagyarOK Ressources.
It's worth it I guess - but it also depends if you have some professional aim for learning Hungarian :D
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-13, 21:47

Glad to know that it really wasn't any problem to you. You even seem to understand my way of talking to you while it really was a bit unusual. This is merveilleux :).

Sooo...as for Hungarian, what I am currently aiming for is what I also am aiming for when it comes to all these other languages I currently take a closer look at. I.e. all those who aren't included in profile's learning list, but I learn small bits of information about them, like Finnish, Hungarian, Russian, Czech... For the purposes of myself currently "needing" them (the exact term would be: preferring to know them at least a bit to be able to talk to natives just in case ;)), I am aiming to be, speaking of these (rather than those on my main list), a "Jack of Many Trades But Master of None". Really. What I am currently aiming for is some very basic skills in all of them only. Very simple conversations, like Tourist Level Tarzan Speech.
this is a reboot

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”