Languagepotato's Hungarian thread

Moderator:france-eesti

languagepotato
Languagepotato's Hungarian thread

Postby languagepotato » 2018-01-08, 22:19

Hi, so i recently started taking on Hungarian (might have dabbled a bit in it before but now i'm actually trying to learn the language (at least enough to get by without English when i visit Budapest for a week (in April))) so i decided to make a thread here for when i'll have questions.

So, I'm learning vocabulary and for that i'm using the fluent-forever method and i just found the translations of a few of the words i'm learning and my current questions are as follows

1. Is there a difference between hajlít and görbít?
2. What about between kerékpár and bicikli?
3. And between szép and gyönyörű?
native: (ar-MA) (nl)
very comfortable: (en-US)
somewhat comfortable: (de) (es) (af)
forgetting: (fr) (ar-arb)
touristy level: (ro) (sv)(ber)(pl)
someday hopefully: (ja) (sq) (cs) (tr) and many others

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Languagepotato's Hungarian thread

Postby france-eesti » 2018-01-09, 13:01

Szia! Happy to have a learning partner! :)
I'm so jealous you're going to Budapest again (but let's be honest - I went twice in 8 months so really no need to complain) :silly:
I'll try to help you with what I know..

languagepotato wrote:2. What about between kerékpár and bicikli?

"Kerékpár" is the "politically correct" word for bike. But in spoken speech or everyday life you can say "bicikli" (my Hungarian teachers always say "bicikli" or even "bringa") :)

languagepotato wrote:3. And between szép and gyönyörű?

A woman will be prettier if she is gyönyörű but both are nice - I think "gyönyörű" = georgous, while "szép" = pretty :ohwell:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Yankaaa

Postby Yankaaa » 2018-02-03, 20:04

Hello, I am new here and really glad to know that you wants to learn my native language. France-eesti has right.

"Hajlít" and "görbít" are almost the same- perhaps the word görbít means a smaller shape-deformation than the word hajlít.
Kerékpár is the official form of bicikli and bringa. Youngsters sometimes called it "csőszamár" or "drótszamár" in funny way.
The word szép means beautiful, and gyönyörű means extrem- beautiful, very-very beautiful. Sometimes we say álomszép, or meseszép, too. Álomszép means as beautiful as a dream, and meseszép means as beautiful as a tale.
dream álom
tale mese
Good luck for both of you to improve your Hungarian. :-)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-02-08, 15:46

Köszönöm szépen! :D Igen, mondhatom, hogy imádom a nyelvedet, a magyar nyelvet :)

"csőszamár"-t és "drótszamár"-t pedig nem ismértem! :partyhat:

Te, melyik nyelvet szeretnél tanulni? 8-) Hol laksz Magyarországon?
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”