Stratégia

Moderator: france-eesti

Cosi

Stratégia

Postby Cosi » 2011-08-24, 12:03

Sziasztok,
Recently I heard them in Szent Korona radio. They play great power metal, first league, really, but what confuses me is their lyrics. I know that you Hungarians have lots of patriotism in your hearts, but their texts are somehow... revisionistic. Fan videos of their songs on YT are sometimes clearly nationalistic, with Jobbik logos and maps of Hungary before the Treaty of Trianon, and so are the comments below.
Are they considered a nationalistic band in Hungary?

Bondi

Re: Stratégia

Postby Bondi » 2011-09-02, 20:48

Cześć! Yes, they are one of the national rock bands you won't hear in commercial media. There are quite a lot of them, but writing songs about a heroic past and be patriotic in Hungary is "non-PC" these days. I think it's quite the same story with Slavic neo-pagan bands.

I often listen to Szent Korona Rádió, though not for the music, but the programmes. :)

Cosi

Postby Cosi » 2011-09-04, 9:46

Thanks for the response!
I didn't mean singing patriotic songs about the glorious past. It's great to be proud of your land, to respect all those people who gave their lives for the country. But chauvinistic, xenophobic nationalism has nothing to do with it - that's where I draw the line and that's why I asked.
Many power metal bands sing about battles, wars and fighting - that's what PM is about. When I'm listening to Sabaton's "40 to 1", "Aces in exile" or "Uprising", I feel really proud and patriotic :) But I would rather feel upset if I read nationalist comments to the song or saw fan videos with NOP or ONR logos.
I hope you get my point :)

Bondi

Postby Bondi » 2011-09-09, 19:26

I get your point, but unfortunately we can't just draw a line. I don't say there's nothing heroic in our recent, 90-year-old past, but it's quite another matter to revive events in songs as there's a lot of ambiguity how people looked (and look) at our history after 1920. Some find that they sing about our struggle against the Soviets and they're being called a "neo-Nazi"! – things like that. That's why it is easier to go back further in history when Hungary wasn't divided.

To cut it short, it all comes down to respect. I don't think it is chauvinistic to use pictures of Great-Hungary, but I wouldn't put it up just to upset other nations! Why? In my opinion, it is contradictory: Great-Hungary was a truly diverse country with lots of nations and languages, it wasn't at all 100% Hungarian. (It is quite the same when Slovak nationalists use the double-cross, though it is also a very significant symbol in Hungarian history - so what's the point?)

To get back to the music: some "national rock bands" such as Kárpátia became very popular, and apart from their own songs they also re-introduced lots of old irredentist songs (from after WW1, when irredentism was a political movement to re-establish Great-Hungary). Obviously, new bands always want to attract their listeners by songs with content that proved popular. That's marketing for you. :)

Cosi

Postby Cosi » 2011-09-10, 17:25

Bondi wrote:To cut it short, it all comes down to respect.

That's it :y:

Btw. Today is the 72nd anniversary of the Battle of Wizna.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeQwq-aYV0

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”