universally loved Magyar music/movies

Moderator:france-eesti

kman1
universally loved Magyar music/movies

Postby kman1 » 2011-03-06, 12:55

Quick question natives. I am going to play a trivia game hopefully with some of my uni friends that are from Norway, Sweden, Germany, Poland, Hungary, Japan, and Finland. One of the things I plan on discussing which I think will be fun is sharing with each other 1. the best music artists (and their respective best album) and 2. the best movies to ever come from their country. This is so when can experience the best music/movies of each other’s countries and determine which of them is the best! Lol! I think everyone knows music/movies from the USA so I thought it would be a good idea if I did some homework and found out you all feel is the best music to come from the countries of everyone else so I appear super knowledgeable. (lol) In this thread, Hungary, of course. So, for example, they’ll ask me to list some of the best artists of all time and their single best album for American music. Immediately, I will list:
1. Micheal Jackson (best album: History: Past, Present and Future) 2. Bob Marley (best album: Legend - The Best Of Bob Marley And The Wailers) 3. James Brown (best album: 20 All-Time Greatest Hits!) 4. Frank Sinatra (best album: Very Best of) 5. Elvis (best album: Elv1s 30 #1 Hits)

These are artists that just about 100% of people in the USA know and LOVE! (well maybe not 100% but very close to that percentage though... lol!)

For American movies 100% of the population knows and loves, let’s see:
1. The Godfather I & II 2. Forrest Gump 3. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory 4. Disney’s Peter Pan & The Lion King 5. Star Wars

The best in Hungary? :D :D

http://www.cserkeszek.org/music_nepdal.html

1. Illes - "Best of Illés - Miért hagytuk, hogy így legyen" or "Best of Illés - Balladák és lírák" ?
2. Omega - not sure which "greatest hits" album ?
3. Metró - not sure which "greatest hits" album ?

Zsuzsa Koncz, Tamas Cseh, Jozsef Simandy <- I am just guessing here as these singers may not be the absolute best...

mszegedy

Re: universally loved Magyar music/movies

Postby mszegedy » 2011-09-23, 3:22

Hmm, nem tudom, I haven't heard of any of these. Habár, I'm not exactly ordinary in my music tastes (plus I only spend 40% of my year in Hungary).
A footprint in the sand.

kman1

Postby kman1 » 2011-09-23, 5:53

Yeah, not many Magyar music lovers out there, it seems...

mszegedy

Postby mszegedy » 2011-10-06, 4:30

My grandfather likes Hernádi Judit and Ajtay Sándor (pronounced "Ajtaji"; wild guess, it's Slovak or something, wherein "y" is pronounced "ji"), but that's like old stuff... still VERY good though. Check out "Sohase mondd" and "Tanulj meg, fiam, komédiázni".
A footprint in the sand.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2011-10-07, 15:55

That isn't necessarily Slovak or anything, we have some aberrated names as far as their spelling goes, like Dessewfy [ˈdɛʒøfi], Weöres [ˈvørøʃ] etc.. It's more about traditional orthography and historical reasons. Aristocrats and people of "noble birth" also had this habit of using "y" for final [i]. In the 19th century, if you wanted to show you supported the cause of "inferior circles" of society, you would just change your final "y" to "i". A good example/illustration for that is Mór Jókai's case, who changed his name from the original Jókay after the events of 1848, as a sign of renouncing his prerogatives as an aristocrat.

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”