Romanian Hungarian

Moderator: france-eesti

riwnodennyk

Romanian Hungarian

Postby riwnodennyk » 2009-06-11, 13:11

What dialect of language do Hungarians in Romania speak? Or… maybe they prefer literary language? :para:
Native [flag=]uk[/flag], OK [flag=]be.Tara[/flag] [flag=]en[/flag] [flag=]pl[/flag], Some [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag], Beginner [flag=]tr[/flag] [flag=]ro[/flag], Kudos to [flag=]crh[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]ga[/flag] [flag=]eu[/flag]

'''

Re: Romanian Hungarian

Postby ''' » 2009-06-11, 16:39

it's the same. I speak Hungarian with Transylvanians (I assume you meant transylvania) and they're the same as us mostly. But to my knowledge they have their fair share of dialects just as hungary proper does, and the szekelys prefer not to speak.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-06-11, 20:36

There were countless cases in my life when I got to know about someone after months of knowledge that he/she is from Transylvania and still goes home very often, moreover, actually still lives there just attends university in Hungary. These people speak the same standard Hungarian as we do. At the same time, it is true, that there are more people in Transylvania (and Serbia and Slovakia and Ukraine) who still have some dialect, but it is going out of use today.
And yeah, Hungarians in Transylvania have quite many dialects, as many as within the borders of Hungary.
Some of them pronounce ä, and some of them use more past tenses, just to mention some examples.

Bondi

Postby Bondi » 2009-06-28, 13:35

Most of the time, the problem is that the vocabulary (the words and phrases) can differ, depending on where you come from.
To put it plainly: you understand their Hungarian, but you might not have a clue what the hell they are talking about! :silly:

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-06-29, 10:50

When I first heard törlőgumi I was very surprised, but I understood that it must be radír. (Both means rubber).
It was told by a Vojvodian Hungarian from Serbia.
Note that I was the only homeland Hungarian who understood what she wants.

But when they come up with words like "szok" instead of üdítő and start complaining about our long words... :) That's disturbing.

The main thing is that, on top of all dialects, the Hungarian minorities in the neighbouring countries made their own Hungarian words in the last 89 years, usually translating the compound words of the majority language to Hungarian word by word, and also simply took some words the way they are in Slovak/Romanian/Ukrainian/Ruthenian/Serbian/Croatian, etc...That's why the vocabulary is different, and such words can be heard as "törlőgumi" and "csertifikát".

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-04-26, 21:13

I am a Hungarian living in Transylvania and I can assure you that we speak the same language.
There are just a few words that are different (very few).
It's even hard to say that we have a dialect.
Nem egy nap alatt épült Buda vára.

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”