Hungarian name ?

Moderator:france-eesti

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator
Hungarian name ?

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-03-13, 16:35

I am researching my family history and previous draft of my family tree says one of my great grandmother's sisters married Hungarian named Sabo-Gabor. Does that sound like Hungarian name or surname from late 19th century ?

CoBB

Re: Hungarian name ?

Postby CoBB » 2009-03-13, 16:56

Sol Invictus wrote:I am researching my family history and previous draft of my family tree says one of my great grandmother's sisters married Hungarian named Sabo-Gabor. Does that sound like Hungarian name or surname from late 19th century ?

Szabó is one of the most common Hungarian family names (meaning ‘tailor’), and Gábor is a common given name.

A Szabó az egyik leggyakoribb magyar családnév, a Gábor pedig gyakori utónév.
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-03-13, 17:30

Great! Thank you! :D

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2009-03-13, 20:21

My name also happens to be Gabor by the way (sorry, the notebook I'm writing from has a polish layout so it'd be kind of complicated for me to write accents right now).

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-03-13, 20:39

BTW does the commonness mean that the guy I asked about has name which equals John Smith in Hungary ?

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2009-03-13, 20:42

Sol Invictus wrote:BTW does the commonness mean that the guy I asked about has name which equals John Smith in Hungary ?

Something like that, yes. There’s nothing distinctive about that name.

Igen, olyasmi. Semmi jellegzetes nincs ebben a névben.

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-03-14, 21:07

Sol Invictus wrote:I am researching my family history and previous draft of my family tree says one of my great grandmother's sisters married Hungarian named Sabo-Gabor. Does that sound like Hungarian name or surname from late 19th century ?

Wow. Szabó Gábor. Couldn't be any more typical :D
But it's really cool, it's just you who discover a thing like that!
Well, going even further, it means there is at least one Latvian line in Hungarian geneology. Do you happen to know where they lived?
I discovered it not long ago that there is a hidden branch of my family, when I told my grandmother and her brother, they got interested that they have cousins they had never known about.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-03-16, 16:51

My grandmother says it is a surname not name and surname, is this possible ? :hmm:

No, Levo, I don't know where they lived, I know that they didn't live in Latvia for some time, but at least some of them returned to Latvia. Honestly, I have decided to trace my granfathers ancestors/relatives first - my grandmother dosen't remember anything about her relatives, except that one woman married Argentinian, another Azerbaijani or Armenian, yet another Hungarian and some just moved to Russia, plus even the place she was born managed to move to Russia - I guess I would need to invest some money to find out anything about them, while Latvian State has published old records usefull in this kind of research on web (it dosen't seem that they would have something like that in Russia, don't know about other countries, except Estonia from which our archive has borowed this idea).

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2009-03-16, 17:22

Sol Invictus wrote:My grandmother says it is a surname not name and surname, is this possible ? :hmm:

I’d say it is, though that would suddenly make it a rarity that should be easier to track.

If someone is baptised, they are given a third name (also a given name), so if there was an individual called Szabó Gábor XY, his family name and first given name could have merged into one word during migration. Also, Gábor (just like any given name) could easily be a family name too, and the marriage of a Szabó and a Gábor could also lead to a joint family name like that.

Szerintem igen, bár ettől hirtelen olyan ritkaság lenne, amit sokkal könnyebb nyomon követni.

Ha valakit megkeresztelnek, akkor kap egy harmadik nevet (szintén utónév), így ha volt egy Szabó Gábor XY nevű ember, a családneve és az első utóneve esetleg összeolvadhatott a költözés során. Emellett a Gábor (mint minden utónév) könnyen lehet családnév is, egy Szabó és egy Gábor házasságából pedig szintén keletkezhetett ilyen összetett családnév.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-03-17, 19:45

It's also not sure that Sol Invictus knows that Hungarian names take family name first, and given name(s) afterwards.
Like, "Ulmanis Kārlis".

You mean that some ancestors of yours were from Abrene-district?

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-03-17, 20:05

CoBB wrote:Also, Gábor (just like any given name) could easily be a family name too, and the marriage of a Szabó and a Gábor could also lead to a joint family name like that.

I hope Szabó can't be given name ?

Levo wrote:It's also not sure that Sol Invictus knows that Hungarian names take family name first, and given name(s) afterwards.
Like, "Ulmanis Kārlis".

You mean that some ancestors of yours were from Abrene-district?

I did know that

Yes

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2009-03-17, 20:21

Sol Invictus wrote:I hope Szabó can't be given name ?

No, that’s impossible.

Nem, ez lehetetlen.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-03-17, 21:00

Sol Invictus wrote:
Yes

You have some things in your pocket with which you can surprise the other one.
I have just read about Abrene-district not long ago. Vai latvieši nedzīvo Abrenē pašreiz?

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-03-17, 21:10

Thank you again, CoBB :)

Levo wrote:You have some things in your pocket with which you can surprise the other one.
I have just read about Abrene-district not long ago. Vai latvieši nedzīvo Abrenē pašreiz?

Do I surprise you that often ? :P According to Wikipedia there are 73 Latvians living there

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”