Ómagyar

Moderator: france-eesti

'''

Ómagyar

Postby ''' » 2008-12-15, 13:48

Does anyone have any links to resources on old magyar? Like maybe, anything around or before 1000AD? Vocabs, grammars, structure, anything.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

Kenny

Re: Ómagyar

Postby Kenny » 2008-12-15, 15:29

As the first written appearance of Hungarian (it's rather just a book (of establishment - as referred to in historical contexts) with some traces of Hungarian as a matter of fact) dates back to the XI. century I don't think we have any information about our language before that period, be it oral or written data that somehow got retained. And even that text is a very unique artifact as I don't know about anything of the like. Okay, there is the H.B. (Halotti Beszéd - Funeral Sermon) but that's from later.

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-12-15, 16:18

:( So what's the oldest form of our language which has sufficient data to be broken down and described?
(en)(hu) - native

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2008-12-15, 16:36

This might be it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_Sermon_and_Prayer

It's very interesting to look at. I dare say I'd hardly understand any of it without some help.
It's certainly not enough for any kind of grammatical description to be based on it though.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-12-16, 0:05

''' wrote:Does anyone have any links to resources on old magyar? Like maybe, anything around or before 1000AD? Vocabs, grammars, structure, anything.

""" we must learn the first 6 rows of Halotti beszéd by heart at secondary-school. It is estimated to date back to the mid 1190's and this is the first fully remained text written in Hungarian.
http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halotti_be ... 6rg%C3%A9s

The other interesting thing is a slice of a sentence dating back to the XII. century if I am not mistaken (I forgot its name, but we had to learn the text by heart):
"Feheruuaru rea meneh hodu utu rea"
"Fehérvárra menő hadi útra"
So try anyone telling me that Hungarian and Finnish aren't related ;)

I am not a fan of Kárpátia but they made a clip, where they tried to sing Halotti beszéd with the original melody and with the original pronounciation (which they didn't manage :) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-80Tsa9zdFI

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-12-16, 3:10

all I can ever rememebr is "latjatok feleim szumtukel, mik vagymuc. Ise pur es csomu vogymuc" I always thought ise was ismet and not ime but oh well. The thing with that text is that it lacks diacritics even though we had special glyphs for those letters in rovas iras and the spelling is random. szumtukel is sz in one place and z elsewhere.

the Magyar Mise CD has a nice chant of the halotti beszed.
(en)(hu) - native

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”