Lengyel és magyar

Moderator: france-eesti

'''

Lengyel és magyar

Postby ''' » 2008-09-25, 16:10

Lengyel, magyar két jóbarát, együtt harcol s issza borát

[see copy in Polish forum]

On March 12th and 16th, 2007, the Hungarian and Polish parliaments respectively declared March 23rd "Day of Hungarian-Polish Friendship" and "Day of Polish-Hungarian Friendship".

Friendship between Poland and Hungary has existsed for centuries and recent studies tracking diaspora with Y-chromosome genes in various populations found a very rare parallel between men in Poland and in Hungary, (women of course not having a Y-chromosome).

1- What stories, anecdotes, and theories are you aware of regarding this friendship

2- What have you done to strengthen this friendship lately?

3- When was the last time you hugged a Pole?
Last edited by ''' on 2009-03-18, 9:17, edited 3 times in total.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

Levo

Re: Lengyel és magyar

Postby Levo » 2008-09-25, 22:06

Hehe, at last someone caring about this topic.

I know two Poles on my MSN. They are both very opened to me and consider their friendship with Hungarians very important.

1- What stories, anecdotes, and theories are you aware of regarding this freindship
Countless stories in history: Our freedomfights were helped by many soldiers and colonels from the other country, that is why many street names in Hungary has the name of a famous Pole (I think every town has a Bem utca); or under WWII there was a secondary-school established in Balatonboglár for the children of the Polish refugees...

I had to go for a field trip with the university and I chose the one to Poland and I lived like that in the past two years that there must be money saved for this very trip.

Two months ago in July :) (Not if hugging was so typical for me or any Hungarians)

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-09-25, 22:15

"not as if" (szószerint foditottad az "úgy étem, hogy..."-at?)

The best tale I heard was that the magyar crown was initially intended for the Polish king but the pope had a dream and gave it to us instead.

I think my Grandfather was part polish, or at least he lived there with family for years, but the exact story escapes me.

Do people take this thing seriously back home or is it forgotten?

EDIT: from the polish forum:

pusiaks wrote:In May, I took part in an international meeting in my city. There were people from a couple of countries but no one was friendlier than Hungarians :) They were very sociable and keen on learning some Polish words (which they did unbelievably well). They were all curious about Poland and some of them told me that they loved their stay in my country :) We had much fun toghether and I still exchange messages with one of them who has become my close friend.
(also, they liked polish alcohol very much :wink: )

So, the last time I hugged a Hungarian was in May :D

BezierCurve wrote:
When was the last time you hugged a Hungarian?

Well, not really hugged, but we did shake hands - some six months ago. We used to work together for a few weeks. That was a good opportunity to learn a bit of Hungarian, but I've forgotten most of it - with no chances to practice. All I can remember is something that sounded like "medyeg tseegheeznee" - when he went for a smoke and the only sentence I can still put together now means "I'm a taxi driver" (which I'm not) :D

As for Hungarian-Polish friendship I recommend a Polish commedy - "C.K. Dezerterzy". You might try to find bits of it on YouTube (I couldn't do that at the moment).

And... I remember watching a movie with Teresa Orlowsky. A story full of true love between our two nations :ohwell:

And one more thing: A few months ago I had a chance to try something brown, dense and very strong. The name started with "U" (I suppose), but I drank too much to remember it now :)
(en)(hu) - native

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-25, 23:25

''' wrote:"not as if" (szószerint foditottad az "úgy étem, hogy..."-at?)

The best tale I heard was that the magyar crown was initially intended for the Polish king but the pope had a dream and gave it to us instead.

I think my Grandfather was part polish, or at least he lived there with family for years, but the exact story escapes me.

Do people take this thing seriously back home or is it forgotten?

EDIT: from the polish forum:

pusiaks wrote:In May, I took part in an international meeting in my city. There were people from a couple of countries but no one was friendlier than Hungarians :) They were very sociable and keen on learning some Polish words (which they did unbelievably well). They were all curious about Poland and some of them told me that they loved their stay in my country :) We had much fun toghether and I still exchange messages with one of them who has become my close friend.
(also, they liked polish alcohol very much :wink: )

So, the last time I hugged a Hungarian was in May :D

BezierCurve wrote:
When was the last time you hugged a Hungarian?

Well, not really hugged, but we did shake hands - some six months ago. We used to work together for a few weeks. That was a good opportunity to learn a bit of Hungarian, but I've forgotten most of it - with no chances to practice. All I can remember is something that sounded like "medyeg tseegheeznee" - when he went for a smoke and the only sentence I can still put together now means "I'm a taxi driver" (which I'm not) :D

As for Hungarian-Polish friendship I recommend a Polish commedy - "C.K. Dezerterzy". You might try to find bits of it on YouTube (I couldn't do that at the moment).

And... I remember watching a movie with Teresa Orlowsky. A story full of true love between our two nations :ohwell:

And one more thing: A few months ago I had a chance to try something brown, dense and very strong. The name started with "U" (I suppose), but I drank too much to remember it now :)

In Hungary, it's like being interested in ice-skating.
Not too many people have an interest, any even those who do, don't really have it on the surface.

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-09-25, 23:49

...what just happened? I didn't write that last bit..I'm scared.

I'm gonna ask dad when he arrives tonigth abotu the alcohol. Alas, the U could refer to the place it's from.
(en)(hu) - native

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2008-09-26, 4:51

Szervusz, hogy van?

Alas, the U could refer to the place it's from.

Siker! I got it! :D

UNICUM. Yes. Saves your life after an avalanche.
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

"I love tautologies, they're so ... tautological." Hunef

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-26, 20:09

''' wrote:...what just happened? I didn't write that last bit..I'm scared.

I'm gonna ask dad when he arrives tonigth abotu the alcohol. Alas, the U could refer to the place it's from.

Bocsánat, elcsesztem. Néha az "edit"-re nyomok a "quote" helyett, de már kijavítottam. Szóljatok ám!

Bondi

Postby Bondi » 2008-10-04, 7:10

1- What stories, anecdotes, and theories are you aware of regarding this friendship
I make them up! :)

Uczę się polskiego. :D

+ Spent a fortnight in Poland lately, had a great time.

26 August 2008. A Polka, to be exact. :)

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-11-09, 20:17

There is a famous Hungarian childsong which every Hungarian child is taught at kindergarten and it has the lyrics "Little duck is bathing in black lake, he/she ( :P ) is about to leave for his/her mother, to Poland."
Do you have any idea what does it exactly mean? Where does it exactly come from?
Nice we have it though. :)

The Hungarian lyrics:
"Kiskacsa fürdik, fekete tóba', anyjához készül, Lengyelországba."

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2008-11-09, 21:12

I can't think of any Polish equivalent, but it's nice to know about it anyway. :)
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

Qrczak

Postby Qrczak » 2008-11-09, 21:13

Oh, Hungarian kacsa seems to be cognate to Polish kaczka (duck).

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-11-10, 22:55

Qrczak wrote:Oh, Hungarian kacsa seems to be cognate to Polish kaczka (duck).

Oh yeah, now you remind me a Ukrainian friend of mine has already told me it is like that. I forgot it.

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2008-11-11, 10:25

Not sure why, but there's a kind of small plums we call "węgierki" (female Hungarians :) )

Also, as part of our cuisine we have "placek po węgiersku" - Hungarian pie, which in fact resembles a thick pancake with pieces of meat, mushrooms and vegetables, with some sauce and spices (I guess Zaduma might tell more about it - I've checked out her recipies once :waytogo: )
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-11-11, 10:43

BezierCurve wrote:Not sure why, but there's a kind of small plums we call "węgierki" (female Hungarians :) )

Also, as part of our cuisine we have "placek po węgiersku" - Hungarian pie, which in fact resembles a thick pancake with pieces of meat, mushrooms and vegetables, with some sauce and spices (I guess Zaduma might tell more about it - I've checked out her recipies once :waytogo: )

Well, we have a famous "Hortobágyi húsos palacsinta" - "Pancake with meat from Hortobágy" but I have never tried it, and I am not sure if it has mushrooms on it. Cool that you have meals like that :)

Well, we have "lengyel piac" - "Polish market" where originally Polish goods were sold for quite cheap from the 1980's but today they transformed into Chinese markets. Actually among family members we often make a joke of our clothing, if we are badly clothed we say "Original Polish market style".
Though I don't think it makes anyone think to Poland or Poles actually... (By the way, now that I was in Poland in July I think Poles dress more normally than Hungarians, less people in radical styles)
Hm I will tell you if another thing comes to my mind.

'''

Postby ''' » 2008-11-11, 12:08

I had it yesterday, it didn't have mushrooms but there was much meat.
(en)(hu) - native

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-11-14, 12:47

placek po węgiersku" - and it was just mentioned at a course I am attending! The teacher explained it also why they call it "Hungarian", and that it is just one small step, but she was so fast I couldn't follow.

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2008-12-17, 2:04

I've just received a gift from a friend at work... A book (poem) by Sandor Petofi - with the English translation! I feel touched... Not learning Hungarian now would be a waste of a valuable book... Just wanted to share it with ye.
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2008-12-17, 2:04

(Sorry, the server was slow, posted it twice)
Last edited by BezierCurve on 2008-12-17, 2:07, edited 1 time in total.
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

Kenny

Postby Kenny » 2008-12-17, 13:53

BezierCurve wrote:I've just received a gift from a friend at work... A book (poem) by Sandor Petofi - with the English translation! I feel touched... Not learning Hungarian now would be a waste of a valuable book... Just wanted to share it with ye.

Is it an anthology or a novel? (Perhaps A helység kalapácsa or Az apostol)

BezierCurve

Postby BezierCurve » 2008-12-17, 15:17

It's János vitéz :) I like folk fairytales, this one really suits me I guess.
Brejkam wszystkie rule.

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”