estojo's questions and learning thread

Moderator:france-eesti

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2007-11-14, 16:38

estojo wrote:So, I completed the rest of the weather sheet. Which I have posted below. Some tricky stuff in there.

What can I say, you’re learning extremely fast! :shock: They are almost all correct. :o

estojo wrote:Augusztus 20. - Szent István napja
Az időjárás az őszi gyümölcstermésre utal: ha szép az idő, bő termést várhatunk.

August 20. - Saint Ivan's day
The weather (of this day) hints at the fruit produce in autumn. If it is a beautiful period, we can expect a bountiful crop.

Probably the biggest misunderstanding. Keep in mind that adjectives also come before the word they refer to, and the keyword of noun phrases is the last one; hence, őszi belongs to gyümölcstermés.

estojo wrote:Szeptember 29. - Mihály napja
Ha Mihály itt találja a fecskéket - vagyis ha a fecskék ezen a napon még itt vannak -, akkor hosszú, szép őszre lehetett számítani.

September 29. - Mihály day
If on Mihály swallows can be found, That is to say, if there is are swallows until this day, then a prolonged and pleasant autumn may be likely

This is just a minor thing.

estojo wrote:Október 21. - Orsolya napja
Orsolya nap sok helyen a szüretkezdés ideje. A hajdúsági (észak-magyarországi) pásztorok az Orsolya napi időjárásból a télre következtettek: ha szép idő volt, akkor szép telet vártak

October 21. - Orsolya day
[s]On[/s] Orsolya day is the time for many places to set out grape picking. Hajdúság[s]i[/s] (northern Hungary) shepherds would draw conclusions about winter from the weather in the Orsolya days.

When you’re translating an adjective constructed from a name with the -i suffix, you should cut it off and put back the capitalisation: budapesti -> Budapest etc.

The rest is all correct as far as I can see how you understood them. :waytogo:

By the way, it would help if you didn’t put the text you want corrected between /color/ tags, because unfortunately those cannot be nested...
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

estojo

Postby estojo » 2007-11-14, 17:41

Hey CoBB, I'll keep the text to be translated in regular color from now on.

I'm glad it was almost all correct!, that's a great feeling! :) Your corrections have been noted, thanks a lot!

more to come soon :wink:
cheers for the compliments

estojo

Postby estojo » 2007-12-25, 15:40

Merry Christmas to all of you, have a wonderful time and productive and happy new year.

We've both been quite ill the last month, but no worries we've been studying hard since the last post and have made substantial progress. (we hope :) )

I'll be posting up some translations and letters we've worked on soon.

Great language!

Estojo & Krista

Levo

Postby Levo » 2007-12-25, 15:43

estojo wrote:Merry Christmas to all of you, have a wonderful time and productive and happy new year.

We've both been quite ill the last month, but no worries we've been studying hard since the last post and have made substantial progress. (we hope :) )

I'll be posting up some translations and letters we've worked on soon.

Great language!

Estojo & Krista

Köszönjük szépen!

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2007-12-25, 17:57

Nektek is boldog karácsonyt! :D
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”