Page 1 of 1

He and She

Posted: 2007-05-22, 16:05
by skoll
is there any word for "She" distinguished from "He" in Hungarian? I know the third person is "Ö" for He but never heard of something indicating the female sex. Has the form "Ön" something to do with it, as it was originally something like the German "Sie"?

Re: He and She

Posted: 2007-05-22, 16:14
by CoBB
skoll wrote:is there any word for "She" distinguished from "He" in Hungarian? I know the third person is "Ö" for He but never heard of something indicating the female sex. Has the form "Ön" something to do with it, as it was originally something like the German "Sie"?

No, such distinction is simply not possible. As for 'Ön', it is an invention of a single person, Széchenyi (as far as I know).

Nem, ez a megkülönböztetés egyszerűen nem lehetséges. Ami az Önt illeti, az egyetlen ember, Széchenyi találmánya (tudtommal).

Posted: 2007-05-22, 16:47
by skoll
thanks for responding :) Can I ask you how Hungarians refer to a girl, for instance saying "I love her"?. From here, I would think I am saying "I love him" :lol:
a curiosity: do the towels "She and He" exist in Hungary? :) :)

Posted: 2007-05-22, 17:09
by CoBB
skoll wrote:thanks for responding :) Can I ask you how Hungarians refer to a girl, for instance saying "I love her"?. From here, I would think I am saying "I love him" :lol:

Just ‘szeretem’. The object is gender neutral, and we simply infer it from the context. Or name it explicitly.

Csak „szeretem”. A tárgy nemileg semleges, és egyszerűen a szövegkörnyezetből következtetjük ki. Vagy explicite megnevezzük.

skoll wrote:a curiosity: do the towels "She and He" exist in Hungary? :) :)

Towels? :hmm:

Törülközők? :hmm:

Posted: 2007-05-22, 17:17
by skoll
thanks again :) well yes, that was obviously a joke, but it might be either other countries don't have this thing, but in Italy [and I saw this in some USA movie] they sell towels for bathrooms where it's written "He" and "she" meaning that those where it's written "he" are meant to be used by a guy in a couple and the ones where it's written "she" are for the girl. These are often given as a present , it's generally the close friends of a couple that is gonna marry soon :)

Posted: 2007-05-23, 20:03
by Levo
skoll wrote:thanks again :) well yes, that was obviously a joke, but it might be either other countries don't have this thing, but in Italy [and I saw this in some USA movie] they sell towels for bathrooms where it's written "He" and "she" meaning that those where it's written "he" are meant to be used by a guy in a couple and the ones where it's written "she" are for the girl. These are often given as a present , it's generally the close friends of a couple that is gonna marry soon :)


Yeah, I have already seen such things in films, but it was new for me. Here it simply doesn't exist.
But it can be quite bad when some films are dubbed word by word to Hungarian and we cannot figure out if the person is a girl or a boy whom they are talking about for minutes!

Posted: 2007-05-23, 20:06
by darkina
Levo wrote:
skoll wrote:thanks again :) well yes, that was obviously a joke, but it might be either other countries don't have this thing, but in Italy [and I saw this in some USA movie] they sell towels for bathrooms where it's written "He" and "she" meaning that those where it's written "he" are meant to be used by a guy in a couple and the ones where it's written "she" are for the girl. These are often given as a present , it's generally the close friends of a couple that is gonna marry soon :)


Yeah, I have already seen such things in films, but it was new for me. Here it simply doesn't exist.
But it can be quite bad when some films are dubbed word by word to Hungarian and we cannot figure out if the person is a girl or a boy whom they are talking about for minutes!


:lol:

Well it's not like those towels are the most common thing in the world... I'm not sure I've ever seen those thought it doesn't seem strange that they exist...And they'd be extremely funny in Hungarian :P

Posted: 2007-05-23, 20:12
by Levo
darkina wrote:
Levo wrote:
skoll wrote:thanks again :) well yes, that was obviously a joke, but it might be either other countries don't have this thing, but in Italy [and I saw this in some USA movie] they sell towels for bathrooms where it's written "He" and "she" meaning that those where it's written "he" are meant to be used by a guy in a couple and the ones where it's written "she" are for the girl. These are often given as a present , it's generally the close friends of a couple that is gonna marry soon :)


Yeah, I have already seen such things in films, but it was new for me. Here it simply doesn't exist.
But it can be quite bad when some films are dubbed word by word to Hungarian and we cannot figure out if the person is a girl or a boy whom they are talking about for minutes!


:lol:

Well it's not like those towels are the most common thing in the world... I'm not sure I've ever seen those thought it doesn't seem strange that they exist...And they'd be extremely funny in Hungarian :P


:D Övé-Övé
His-Her

Posted: 2007-05-23, 20:29
by CoBB
Levo wrote::D Övé-Övé
His-Her

Úré-Hölgyé ;)

Posted: 2007-05-23, 20:43
by darkina
CoBB wrote:
Levo wrote::D Övé-Övé
His-Her

Úré-Hölgyé ;)


Zoltán - Eszter :lol:

Posted: 2007-05-23, 23:53
by Levo
darkina wrote:
CoBB wrote:
Levo wrote::D Övé-Övé
His-Her

Úré-Hölgyé ;)


Zoltán - Eszter :lol:


Gazsi-Gizi

Posted: 2007-05-31, 17:48
by Basher
My late grandmother was from Hungary and never spoke English well. So she would often say "she" when talking about a man and "he" when talking about a woman. And the other half of the time she'd get them right.